Thousands of Thais arrested for World Cup gambling

webfact

Thousands of Thais arrested for World Cup gambling

BANGKOK, July 15, 2014 (AFP) - Police in Thailand said Tuesday that they had arrested 5,064 people for illegal gambling during the World Cup, a sharp increase from four years ago.

As well as 4,679 gamblers, the authorities have detained 258 bookmakers and 127 betting slip runners since the tournament kicked off in Brazil on June 12.

If convicted, those arrested could face up to two years in prison and a 2,000 baht ($60) fine.

But most are expected to receive suspended jail terms, except in cases where particularly large sums of money are involved, said Police Major General Chantavit Ramsut.

In addition more than 2,000 football gambling websites have been shut down, police said.

Thailand's new junta is cracking down on gambling in general in a bid to "uphold social order" in the kingdom, where most forms of betting is outlawed.

According to police figures, around 3,800 people were arrested across Thailand for gambling during the previous World Cup in 2010.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-07-15

• Like 1

I bet most of em get away with a fine only,same as the ladyboys/prostitutes rounded up along our beaches on a regular basis

unless caught with drugs or fail a drugs test.

OMG did i just gamble and it's illegal,time to go hide cya.

The twelve faces of Thailand: http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/2009/05/can-you-find-ten-faces.html

"But most are expected to receive suspended jail terms, except in cases where particularly large sums of money are involved..."

So if one breaks the speed limit driving, one gets a reduced term if one is not speeding as fast as the next person, because the face is not observed as much, or even caught?

Laws are laws and, until the lines are drawn equally, then the levels of breaking such will be to extremes or somewhat at the other end ignored, and only the extremes will be punished severely to set an example to those even considering breaking the laws in the first place, and those who break not to so much extent are ok. Is that a correct procedure??? I'm not so sure, as once away with it it then tends to escalate.

So if one breaks the speed limit driving, one gets a reduced term if one is not speeding as fast as the next person, because the face is not observed as much, or even caught?

Laws are laws and, until the lines are drawn equally, then the levels of breaking such will be to extremes or somewhat at the other end ignored, and only the extremes will be punished severely to set an example to those even considering breaking the laws in the first place, and those who break not to so much extent are ok. Is that a correct procedure??? I'm not so sure, as once away with it it then tends to escalate.

What are you talking about. All sentences take mitigating and aggravating factors into account. Clearly the punishment has to be proportionate to the 'crime'.

What are you talking about. All sentences take mitigating and aggravating factors into account. Clearly the punishment has to be proportionate to the 'crime'.

If you read again, I asked a question.

Answer me this, please. When does PROPORTIONATE punishment lose all track of the original law instigated once levels have been taken to the extreme, and the original law implemented loses its reasoning because of the level of crime employed in a similar case of inclusively ignored mentality?

When does murder by knife become more punishable than murder by bullet? Seems things are heading that way, as the world becomes more reliant upon pictures and sickening reports made more gruesome by media. There is no mitigating circumstance for murder unless one is proven to be insane, is there not? Anybody sane has the ability to pre-meditate or consider momentary actions, do they not? Care to disagree?

• Like 1