Teaching English or German in Isan

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to teach English/German at government schools in Isan.

Some people told me: teaching is just possible until 60. Is that right ?

But I will get an old age pension from Germany, when 65.

That´s why it would be very important for me, to get the allowance to teach in Isan for 5 more years.

Do you know whether such arrangements are possible ?

My second question:

Some people told me, every foreigner/teacher working in Thailand has to pay income tax (3-4%, or how much is the rate ?), refering to a 50.000 THB monthly income,

although a teacher´s income is usually around 20.000 to 30.000 THB.

Is that right ?

My third question: health/social insurance is provided by school. Does that mean for me, my wife and daughter included (like insurance for the whole family ) ?

Thank you very much in advance for your Support.

Best wishes and regards

Peter

1 I doubt that you will find any school that will give you a five year guarantee of employment.

2 You are taxed on your actual salary.

3 Social Security is only for the employee, not their families.

Nr 3.

Not true.

Inasmuch healthcare for all familymenber living in the same house can be obtained.

"Not true. Inasmuch healthcare for all familymenber living in the same house can be obtained."

Actually, it is true.

Maybe you misread the OP and didn't understand we are talking about Social Security, the system he would be in as a teacher at a government school.

Employee only.

If his wife and child are Thai, they might qualify for the '30 baht' plan, but not SS.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to teach English/German at government schools in Isan.

Some people told me: teaching is just possible until 60. Is that right ?

But I will get an old age pension from Germany, when 65.

That´s why it would be very important for me, to get the allowance to teach in Isan for 5 more years.

Do you know whether such arrangements are possible ?

Let’s put it this way. Nothing is possible in Thailand. Thai teachers usually retire, when they turn 60, so it might be impossible to “join the social security” insurance. But please be aware that some provincial offices will take you on.

The chances to find a German teaching position are very slim, regarding English; it depends on your qualifications. You’ll need a degree, which has to be translated into Thai and verified.

You’ll have some problems to get a job, but many schools are seeking teachers.

Non native speakers also have to pass a TOEIC examination, which can easily be done in Bangkok.

You’d maybe have chances to get a five years Teacher’s license, if you’re a certified English teacher from your country of origin.

My second question:

Some people told me, every foreigner/teacher working in Thailand has to pay income tax (3-4%, or how much is the rate ?), refering to a 50.000 THB monthly income,

although a teacher´s income is usually around 20.000 to 30.000 THB.

Is that right ?

If you’re not a certified teacher from your country, you might find it difficult to get a good paid job. Most schools are looking for young guys, as it’s not always about qualifications.

So, if you’re not a certified teacher, you might have between 20 and 35 K, depending on the school, work load, etc…

My third question: health/social insurance is provided by school. Does that mean for me, my wife and daughter included (like insurance for the whole family ) ?

As already mentioned, it can be difficult to get into the social security, when 60. But even then, your wife and kids can’t be insured through your insurance.

That only works for Thai teachers, who’re married to foreigners. They’re 100 % insured, for free.

Thank you very much in advance for your Support.

Best wishes and regards

Peter

Please consider that it’s in the middle of the first term already, whole October is usually closed, because of midterm break, but also a good time to find a teaching position.

If I were you, I’d just go from school to school with your resume, be well dressed and well-mannered and you might be successful in a blink of an eye.

If you've got some problems, please do not hesitate to page me.

Best of luck and welcome to the teaching jungle.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

It's around 3 % taxes you'll have to pay, usually annually. But having a Thai wife and kids helps to deduct some money. End of September is the best time to look for a job. Try to find a position ,where you can get some background information about the institution before you start there.

What's your educational background, just asking as it might help a lot to give you advice. Have you ever taught a language to anybody, beside your own kids?

Teaching English can be a pretty though job. Most people around you are faceless. Be aware. Good luck.

"Non native speakers also have to pass a TOEIC examination, which can easily be done in Bangkok."

The TOEIC test can also be taken in KK.

"You’d maybe have chances to get a five years Teacher’s license,"

But still no guarantee of a job for those five years.

"As already mentioned, it can be difficult to get into the social security, when 60."

A bit more than difficult, since once you hit 60 you can't enter the SS system. If you are already in the system when you hit 60, you can remain in it.

"But even then, your wife and kids can’t be insured through your insurance."

"That only works for Thai teachers, who’re married to foreigners. They’re 100 % insured, for free."

That is not true for the Social Security system. That is for government Civil Servants. They have a completely separate system.

Not all Thai teachers at government schools are Civil Servants.

"Non native speakers also have to pass a TOEIC examination, which can easily be done in Bangkok."

The TOEIC test can also be taken in KK.

But still no guarantee of a job for those five years.

"As already mentioned, it can be difficult to get into the social security, when 60."

A bit more than difficult, since once you hit 60 you can't enter the SS system. If you are already in the system when you hit 60, you can remain in it.

"That only works for Thai teachers, who’re married to foreigners. They’re 100 % insured, for free."

That is not true for the Social Security system. That is for government Civil Servants. They have a completely separate system.

The TOEIC test can also be taken in KK. Sorry, for not knowing that.

But still no guarantee of a job for those five years. Isn't the thread about getting a teaching position?

I've met teachers who were taken when they were 60. Did I say something wrong, now?

Thanks for your input. Let’s say you have to be a Thai government employee that your foreign husband has the same privilege to go to a hospital for free, inclusive treatment.

But even then, I can assure you that there’re various schools out there in Thailand, where no janitor, or anybody else NOT being a teacher, will have those benefit, considering that a motorbike accident covers only 12 K.

Actually, I’m more concerned about the guy in Ubon who took his own life for nothing, as I knew him. I was just trying to give “a sort of advice”. Sorry when I gave false information.

"But still no guarantee of a job for those five years. Isn't the thread about getting a teaching position?"

Yes, but the OP made a point that he wanted to teach for 5 more years, until he was 65.

I thought there might be confusion on his part, thinking that if he had a 5 year license, that would mean he'd automatically be employed during that time.

"I've met teachers who were taken when they were 60."

If they were entered into the SS system when 60, it was a mistake. Agree, mistakes happen, but I wouldn't want to count on that mistake not being caught and corrected. Many schools offer private insurance for those not eligible for SS.

"But even then, I can assure you that there’re various schools out there in Thailand, where no janitor, or anybody else NOT being a teacher, will have those benefit, considering that a motorbike accident covers only 12 K."

Typically, unskilled positions in the government don't have Civil Service status.

Even a lot of teachers that in the past might have dad that status, don't now. The government saves a lot of money by downsizing the number of Civil Service employees they have on board.

The Civil Servants health insurance covers the employee, spouse, kids and parents.

"The TOEIC test can also be taken in KK."

The TOEIC test in KK is done at KKU, in the Humanities Faculty. Two tests a day, 1 day a month. One in the AM and the other in the PM.

The certificates from testing done here does not include your photo, which some employers are requiring.

I don't have any info on testing in CM, other than they do testing there.

In Bangkok, they test two times a day Monday through Saturday. You will get a photo on the certificate. They take your photo.

The regular cost for the test is 1500 baht. At a Job Fair a couple of months ago at KKU, Double AA Paper handed out cards to anyone interested that would get them a discount on the test in Bangkok. 990 baht. You could use it as many times as you wanted. No strings attached.

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's around 3 % taxes you'll have to pay, usually annually. But having a Thai wife and kids helps to deduct some money. End of September is the best time to look for a job. Try to find a position ,where you can get some background information about the institution before you start there.

What's your educational background, just asking as it might help a lot to give you advice. Have you ever taught a language to anybody, beside your own kids?

Teaching English can be a pretty though job. Most people around you are faceless. Be aware. Good luck.

Hi and thank you for your reply. Sorry for answering very late. About my educational background: I just got a TEFL-certificate from TTT-Language-School, Phuket in 2008, which means a 3-months-teacher´s Training. Besides 4 years of experience teaching at private language Schools, sometimes hotel staff or Office employees. But unfortunately I don´t hold BA or MA degree. Meanwhile I got to know this might be sufficient for teaching at vocational schools like Technology Schools. All in all I worry more about several uncertainties such as: 1-year-contracts, 90-days-reports at Immigration Office, visa and work-permit has to renewed annually (lots of paper work, lots of troubles), unability to speak or understand "Isan Thai" yet, hard to find some friends, feeling like an animal in the zoo etc. ... I am German, 49. How about you ? Where are you from and where are you teaching ? Nice to talk to you again ....

Hi Peter

It's been 2+ months since you started this topic. Have you found a job yet? It sounds like you haven't.

What have you done to find work? As Lost... posted above, you need to hit the street and hand out your resume.

As far as all the paperwork goes, it's not too bad once you've done each item Sometimes annoying, but easily manageable (assuming you have the support of your employer for some of the documents).

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

Why don't you just go around from school to school and "offer" your service, well dressed and behaved?

One of the well known primary schools just hired two 20 year old youngsters from Loch Nessie's home.

They do not have a degree, but a lot of teaching experience (Lol) and seem to be "trainers", or "teacher's assistants" with work permits and social benefits, as the SS.

Quite a lot people are working for agencies in Sisaket. Please Google and you'll find out which the two biggest are. The one starts with an A, the other one with a G.

Honestly speaking, it seems that a lot do not have a BA, plus some are from countries, where English isn't the first language.

I'd never tell you to "study for a lifetime degree." But unfortunately, there're many ways that lead to Rome.

Please be aware that some schools are already closed due midterm and so longer you're waiting, so less are the chances to get you a job.

Most primary schools in Sisaket close around the 10th of September. Best of luck.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Definitely possible to get a job when over 60 years old in private schools but not sure about government schools.

Schools generally offer 1 year contracts. No severance pay or unemployment if they choose to not renew your contract.

English teachers are easy to find and high turnover rate.

As pointed out earlier, October is middle of the school year and is a bad time to look for a job but if a school has an opening they are desperate to fill it.

Unless you have experience, most schools prefer younger teachers.

I think there are language schools that teach Germany.

Since you are over 50 you can get a retirement visa. A language school might be an option.

Assuming he has some degree he would not need to lie to the labor board about being a teaching assistant instead of a teacher.

Rumor is that loophole is limited.

Would anyone have any numbers of agencies in Issan ?

I know the direct approach seems popular here, but we currently live in the deep South (for 5 years,) so riding round a few schools with my belongings in a rucksack isn't an option.

I prefer to work for an agency,if anyone has some firm details I would appreciate a post here or a pm.

The wife has been working in a nursery caring / teaching for pre-anuban so I'm hoping she could continue, although no family ties comes from KK and struggles with the southern culture from time to time.

Would anyone have any numbers of agencies in Issan ?

I know the direct approach seems popular here, but we currently live in the deep South (for 5 years,) so riding round a few schools with my belongings in a rucksack isn't an option.

I prefer to work for an agency,if anyone has some firm details I would appreciate a post here or a pm.

The wife has been working in a nursery caring / teaching for pre-anuban so I'm hoping she could continue, although no family ties comes from KK and struggles with the southern culture from time to time.

The agencies Isaan schools are "using", usually have their head office in Bangkok. Might be a good way to apply for the OP, Mr. Peter.

Please Google AYC and GEC. Please be aware that I'm not making advertisement here.

Edited by lostinisaan

"Since you are over 50 you can get a retirement visa. A language school might be an option"

B, are you aware you need a work permit to be legal? Most labor offices won't issue them to persons on visas or extensions for retirement.

The OP indicates he wants to stay legal.

If I understand everything.

He is 59 years old, no BA or MA, non-native speaker with a TEFL looking to live in Thailand for 5 years (no visa runs)and earn some money for 5 years until he gets pension from his country.

Additional asking how to get social benefits from Thailland for him and his family.

Suggestions to work as"teacher's assistant" is also illegal unless that is actually his job.

If having an income for 5 years is critical then 1 year contracts might be a deterrent.

Definitely possible, but difficult to find jobs when older.

Someone over 50 would need very good qualifications to get a job over someone 25 equally qualified.

How important is job stability?

Can you buy private insurance?

If I understand everything.

He is 59 years old, no BA or MA, non-native speaker with a TEFL looking to live in Thailand for 5 years (no visa runs)and earn some money for 5 years until he gets pension from his country.

Additional asking how to get social benefits from Thailland for him and his family.

Suggestions to work as"teacher's assistant" is also illegal unless that is actually his job.

If having an income for 5 years is critical then 1 year contracts might be a deterrent.

Definitely possible, but difficult to find jobs when older.

Someone over 50 would need very good qualifications to get a job over someone 25 equally qualified.

How important is job stability?

Can you buy private insurance?

He's not 59. He's 48 and posted so many different threads, where people gave him the right advice.

Okay, OP. Please when in Sisaket, go to Frank's " Living in the Past." Frank is German, living here for about 99 years and knows quite a lot people.

He can also tell you where all schools are. Good luck!

Why don't you just go around from school to school and "offer" your service, well dressed and behaved?

One of the well known primary schools just hired two 20 year old youngsters from Loch Nessie's home.

They do not have a degree, but a lot of teaching experience (Lol) and seem to be "trainers", or "teacher's assistants" with work permits and social benefits, as the SS.

Quite a lot people are working for agencies in Sisaket. Please Google and you'll find out which the two biggest are. The one starts with an A, the other one with a G.

Honestly speaking, it seems that a lot do not have a BA, plus some are from countries, where English isn't the first language.

I'd never tell you to "study for a lifetime degree." But unfortunately, there're many ways that lead to Rome.

Please be aware that some schools are already closed due midterm and so longer you're waiting, so less are the chances to get you a job.

Most primary schools in Sisaket close around the 10th of September. Best of luck.-facepalm.gif

I am 49 and plan to live in Thailand forever, because I got a Thai wife and a daughter.

That means: teaching as long as possible at schools (but just holding a TEFL-certification).

Because Thai teachers finish working when they are 60, I am asking whether it´s possible to work as a foreign teacher when older than 60.

How about passport extensions ? Last time I paid approximately 8000 THB for another 10 years (sending my passport from German Consulat in Phuket to German Embassy in Bangkok).

Possible:sure

My private Thai school hired a 61 year old grade 10-12 chemistry teacher with teaching credential and 15 years experience teaching in international schools.

Also had a 60+ year old science teacher last year but his contract was not renewed.

I believe government schools Thai teachers retire at 60. Not sure if applies to foreigners.

Out of 40 foreign teachers at my school, 3 are over 40 years old.

At my previous school about 6 out of 90 foreign teachers were over 40 years old.

With good connections and targeting your area of expertise and perseverance anything is possible.

Build skills and connections.

Referrals carry a lot of weight.

Lostinissan gave you a great connection.

Connections dominate almost everything.

Getting an education degree would increase opportunities but would cost around 200,000 baht and 2 years of study.

16 years of increased job opportunities and salary might be worth the effort and money.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in your vicinty, i think, but if ever in Nong Khai try the large "IP" rated high school. offers an IP, EP, and MEP, no degree needed. As well have heard of a new program offering a MEP for P1-6, no qualifications as such required. As well as Tha Bo, Sri Chiang Mai,and Bueng Khan. All nice places to live with very relaxed requirements.

good luck!

Not in your vicinty, i think, but if ever in Nong Khai try the large "IP" rated high school. offers an IP, EP, and MEP, no degree needed. As well have heard of a new program offering a MEP for P1-6, no qualifications as such required. As well as Tha Bo, Sri Chiang Mai,and Bueng Khan. All nice places to live with very relaxed requirements.

good luck!

ok thank you

I am 49 and plan to live in Thailand forever, because I got a Thai wife and a daughter.

That means: teaching as long as possible at schools (but just holding a TEFL-certification).

Because Thai teachers finish working when they are 60, I am asking whether it´s possible to work as a foreign teacher when older than 60.

How about passport extensions ? Last time I paid approximately 8000 THB for another 10 years (sending my passport from German Consulat in Phuket to German Embassy in Bangkok).

That means things should be relatively easy for you.

As you can get a marriage extension to your visa, which allows you to work, and live in Thailand without worrying about visas. You just need to show them that you have 400,000 THB in the bank each year (Which should be easy if you're currently working in Germany).

Getting a job teaching will of course be important as well, but it's a lot easier when you can have a stable visa to go with it. As there are a lot of schools which will be happy to hire you without a degree, and may even be able to arrange for a work permit, they usually just can't convince immigration to give you a visa. As all of the different government departments have different objectives, and so enforce the various regulations etc differently.

Your best bet is to simply apply to all advertisements for teachers in the area where you want to teach + come to Thailand in early March and visit all of the schools near your wife's hometown giving them copies of your CV and advising them that you'll be able to work when the new term starts in May (But you still need to come in early March, as mid-late March schools go on holiday until May, and by May timetables etc might already be made up, so they might not want to hire a new teacher unless another unexpectedly left).

Regarding whether you can teach when you are older than 60, yes you can, provided that the school you're at likes you. But it is at their discretion, just as they might decide to not renew your contract when you turn 55, or if they don't like your teaching style, or if you argue and complain too much. We're completely at the mercy of the schools, as we usually only ever get 1 year contracts.

A new passport / passport extension is done via your own government, so whatever you did last time, it'd probably be the same process again (Although probably more expensive due to inflation).

The task you have, really isn't as difficult as what you might think. The only real hurdle is simply finding a job in a convenient place (Since I assume you want to be working near your wife's hometown).

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile I got to know this might be sufficient for teaching at vocational schools like Technology Schools ...

Can anyone confirm the truth in this .. Is a degree needed to obtain a WP teach at a government vocational college / school ?

A friend is teaching at 70 - but at a private school. He's a Kiwi with proper qualifications though.

The other day, on a forum in another country, some self-proclaimed "fluent" speaker of English from Bangladesh wrote an atrocious post. Thai kids deserve better. And school owners or directors often forget the basics when they an save say 10,000 Baht a month.

Them liking you will be more important than age restrictions on paper, JMHO.

Have you tried working yet? Go out, take a job and learn.

Meanwhile I got to know this might be sufficient for teaching at vocational schools like Technology Schools ...

Can anyone confirm the truth in this .. Is a degree needed to obtain a WP teach at a government vocational college / school ?

If it's under OBEC administration,yes.But mystic Thailand has its special way to bypass such rules.

Just become a "trainer", a "teacher's assistant", or a "curriculum developing Supreme Commander." It's T H A I L A N D. coffee1.gif