How to get Passport for a Thai-farang child

Ok, I have a Thai lady, and 6 YO. son. I live in Australia and they live in Thailand.... Child is not Australian citizen, but his mother tried to get a passport for him in Ubon Ratchathany... She was told that child can not get a Thai passport as his father is Australian and he must ask Australian Embessy for a passport. I asked Australian Immigration officers here in Australia and they laugh.... The child was born in Thailand and from Thai mother he should be able to get Thai passport...Now what can I do... I want to bring them here on holiday but can not get a passport for our son..we are not married... Please, can anyone suggest anything? anything at all I will be more than happy to say thank you.....

Hmm...that sounds strange. It is very common here from mixed race kids to have dual nationality (including Thai).

Try Bangkok passport office...it was a breeze for us. I can't think why the told your lady that.

Edited by Water Buffalo
  • Like 1

if you are registered as the father on the Thai birth certificate, you need to be there in Thailand at the time of passport application as Thai passports require the presence of both parents.

Otheriwse, you have to sign effectively what is a power of attoerney form (available from the Thai embassy in Canberra) and send this up to your other half to take to the passport office.

As for the Australian passport, you'll need to apply for one for the child so they can enter Australia without a visa. Have you organised citizenship via descent for the child yet? If not, that is the first step, and the OZ passport can follow.

It shouldn't be that hard, and have done the same for my three kids (although we all live together here in Thailand).

• Like 2

if you are registered as the father on the Thai birth certificate, you need to be there in Thailand at the time of passport application as Thai passports require the presence of both parents.

Otheriwse, you have to sign effectively what is a power of attoerney form (available from the Thai embassy in Canberra) and send this up to your other half to take to the passport office.

As for the Australian passport, you'll need to apply for one for the child so they can enter Australia without a visa. Have you organised citizenship via descent for the child yet? If not, that is the first step, and the OZ passport can follow.

It shouldn't be that hard, and have done the same for my three kids (although we all live together here in Thailand).

well, thanks, I intend to follow up as soon as i get to Thailand in October...strange but through... thanks

well, thanks, I intend to follow up as soon as i get to Thailand in October...strange but through... thanks

What samran says.

BUT

If you aren't married, they wouldn't consider you to be the father, so only she would need to be there.

What does the birth certificate say?

It says in the birth cetificate thay I am only father and that is it...I am the father, that is what it says in the certificate

Ok fine, But what should do? I am coming to Thailand in October...what kind of documents do I need? ..it says clearly in the birth cerificate that I am the father....surely mother of child should be able to obtain a Thai passport as the child is Thai born, no mother who the f....kin ...father is

What samran says.

BUT

If you aren't married, they wouldn't consider you to be the father, so only she would need to be there.

It says in the birth cetificate thay I am only father and that is it...I am the father, that is what it says in the certificate

Thai authorities consider name of father on BC irrelevant if not married to mother.

An unmarried Thai lady may enter any name she likes as father.

Currently in Thailand, you are not considered the child's father, you have no parental rights.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Its relatively easy to get your son both thai and oz passports.For thai passport just a birth certificate and both parents have to apply,then oz citizenship at the embassy then you can apply for oz passport.Done it for both my daughters without a problem.david48 has a guide on here for getting oz citizenship

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok fine, But what should do? I am coming to Thailand in October...what kind of documents do I need? ..it says clearly in the birth cerificate that I am the father....surely mother of child should be able to obtain a Thai passport as the child is Thai born, no mother who the f....kin ...father is

The Australian embassy website has clear guidance on what you need, so best consult there under citizenship via descent. As a minimum id bring your birth certificate, Medicare card and a DL just for additional Australian ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Don't sweat auserb...

David48 is the most relevant to assist here. He is going through exactly your situation.

He will be along shortly to point the way on top of Samrans fine help.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

Firstly, what samran above writes ... thumbsup.gif

For getting an Australian Passport, it's essentially a 2 step process.

The first step is getting your child recognised as an Australian Citizen.

Assuming that you are an Australian Citizen at the time of your child's birth, the process is relatively simple.

A guide to getting your child Australian Citizenship which is known as Citizenship by Descent is here ... australian-citizenship-for-your-baby-how-to-guide

Dual Citizen is then available to your child and the child will have 2 Passports.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Dear friend thank you for your information, As I steted earlier, I did everything they ask me for including you sugestion, but not to avail

Dear friend thank you for your information, As I steted earlier, I did everything they ask me for including you sugestion, but not to avail

Did you actually go to the Thai passport office as well with all your ID? Doesn't sound like you did...

Have you applied for citizenship via descent yet? You really need to do that at the Australian embassy in Bangkok. Doesn't sound like you have...

Edited by samran

What samran says.

BUT

thanks for your coment...on the birth cetificate says that she is the mother (Thai) and my name and that the child is mine..

• 1 month later...

Don't sweat auserb...

David48 is the most relevant to assist here. He is going through exactly your situation.

He will be along shortly to point the way on top of Samrans fine help.

thanks I will get in touch with him.chears