renting a condo i have a few questions

tomtom345

hi all i will be in pattaya soon and i am planning to rent a condo through a real estate agency , and i have a few questions .

1) how do i make sure the guy who the agency tells me is the owner of the condo is realy the true owner of the condo?

2) do i need to pay a fee for the real estate agency? and if so what is usual rate?

3) what do i need to write in the contract in order to avoid being charged if say the tv stops working?

4) i will also need a lawyer to write a contract for me do you know of a good reliable lawyer? and how much the usual condo renting contract fee cost?

5 what is the current goverment electricity and water rate?

6) how do i check myself how much electricity and water i used in my condo in order to aviod being scammed by the owner of the condo or the condo managment?

1) how do i make sure the guy who the agency tells me is the owner of the condo is realy the true owner of the condo?

2) do i need to pay a fee for the real estate agency? and if so what is usual rate?

3) what do i need to write in the contract in order to avoid being charged if say the tv stops working?

4) i will also need a lawyer to write a contract for me do you know of a good reliable lawyer? and how much the usual condo renting contract fee cost?

5 what is the current goverment electricity and water rate?

6) how do i check myself how much electricity and water i used in my condo in order to aviod being scammed by the owner of the condo or the condo managment?

1) You probably dont need to worry unduly about this if you are renting via an agent (assuming that it is a recognised agent of several years standing and not just some bloke you met in a bar). That said it has happened in the past that agents have disappeared with the tenant's money and/or not paid the owner for any/all tenancies.

2) The owner should be paying the fee.

3) Most contracts will have a clause about the tenant being liable for repairs under x thousand Baht, and the owner being liable above x thousand Baht. You just need to make sure that the value of "x" is low. 1 would be good.

4) Should not be necessary for a rental. Think carefully, alter things you dont like the look of and never sign anything that isnt in English. If the agent/owner doesnt like that just move on to the next unit for rent. There are thousands of them here.

5) Just over 4B for electricity, and varies according to the building for water. I think I pay 35B/unit but that's only 100B per month.

6) Each unit has two meters and the building should read them for you, not the agent or owner. As far as I know you have the right to look at the meter. The water meter should be very close to your unit anyway, by the main tap, and you probably only have to open an access panel to look at it.

thank you very much kittenkong. i plan to rent through the alan bolton agency , is that agency reliable? and does anyone know of any other reliable real estate agencies?

We found our condo through Alan Bolton, and they were very professional. They have a standard contract that will be used when you find a place.

Anticipate paying a security deposit equal to two months rent, plus the first month's rent, on signing. Check on the electricity and water charges for the particular building where you rent - the government rate is 40 baht per CBM for water, and just under 4 baht per KWH for electricity, but some buildings place a surcharge on those numbers.

Bolton has a fairly accurate and current website with hundreds of listings. Search by areas that you like, then narrow it down to the size condo (studio, 1 bedroom, etc) and then look at the ones that are in your price range.

Good luck!

• Like 1

As I recall where I had a condo there was a surcharge on water, to cover wast water disposal, based on what goes in must come out.

When you move in if there is an agent with you ask them where the meters are, good idea for you both to take the readings together, if not go ask at the condominiums administrative office, let them know you are a new tenant.

... the government rate is 40 baht per CBM for water, and just under 4 baht per KWH for electricity, but some buildings place a surcharge on those numbers.

I pay government prices for electricity and my bill shows a total of 4.3B/unit by the time they have added in the fuel supplement (0.69B) and tax (7%).

Water is billed by my condo at a price they fix (which includes a waste water disposal charge, as mentioned) and I think this is fairly standard practice. The actual total price I pay is under 40B/m3.