Where's the cheapest place to buy pork in Chiang Mai?

DavidOxon

Your question seemed so odd, I didn't think for a second that you were serious.

You have the choice of a large supermarket, a local market (where flies will be all over your pork) or a small chain store like Lotus Tesco. All will have the price per/kg clearly marked, except for the local market where you will need to ask.

I didn't think you were that new around here.

There is an all pork store (Sawadee Pork is the name, I think) that has very good prices. It's in Nong Hoi, so I don't know how far it is from you, but we buy all our pork there.

It is located here: 18.757223, 99.007694

Just paste the coordinates into Google maps and it will show you where. Note, street view does not show the actual store front. Google street view is so far behind here in Thailand....

Traveling any distance to purchase something like pork makes little sense to me. The nearest local market will be the cheapest in almost any case. But I can't deal with the way the meat is handled, so I usually buy at a large supermarket such as my local Rim Ping, which is a 5 minute walk from my place.

DavidO you already know where the cheapest is... Makro. Not the best quality though is it? Rimping is top Q [betagro product I believe] but exxy.

Betagro direct or CP [frozen, ex Tesco] is usually better quality and fair price. I particularly enjoy CP's loin chops on BBQ or oven cooked in dijon/breadcrumbs ... yummo.

Been past Sawasdee Pork and must stop for a look at quality and price.

• Like 1

I was looking for cheaper than Makro.... minced pork is almost as expensive as loin: 147 - 160 baht a kilo!

I was just hoping that maybe someone who buys a lot would say 'ah yes, there's a little man I know down such and such a soi that butchers his own pigs and sells for 20% less than anywhere else'!.....

thanks,

D

I was looking for cheaper than Makro.... minced pork is almost as expensive as loin: 147 - 160 baht a kilo!

I was just hoping that maybe someone who buys a lot would say 'ah yes, there's a little man I know down such and such a soi that butchers his own pigs and sells for 20% less than anywhere else'!.....

thanks,

D

Can't happen here as all slaughtered meat has to go through the official slaughterhouse. Up country is another matter and you will probably find one

Are you really that destitute that you need to save 20 baht or so on a kilo of pork?rolleyes.gif .

• Like 2

Why don't you just grown your own?

One of Chiangmai's more colourful residents tried that some years ago. His idea was to raise suckling pigs for hotels and suchlike. A great idea so the investors thought. He fled back to Sweden shortly after with millions of bahtrolleyes.gif

Next?

• Like 1

Sawadee Pork has some good prices and was kitted out like a "real" butcher's shop, but the staff don't clean the shop properly so I'm less keen than when they started.

Meanwhile, Makro has added some exotic choices in the meat department.....

Tender%20Lion-L.jpg

A bit pricier than the pork but might be a good choice for the mane course (sorry).

• Like 1

Lotus discount 50% on day of expiry, sometimes lose a bit as you need to chop the green bits off and soak them in fish sauce to get rid of the odd odour.

Local markets are freshest, go early morning.

• Like 1

Why don't you just grown your own?

One of Chiangmai's more colourful residents tried that some years ago. His idea was to raise suckling pigs for hotels and suchlike. A great idea so the investors thought. He fled back to Sweden shortly after with millions of bahtrolleyes.gif

Next?

Yeah but you only need one and a really big freezer and you're sorted.

thumbsup.gif

Lotus discount 50% on day of expiry, sometimes lose a bit as you need to chop the green bits off and soak them in fish sauce to get rid of the odd odour.

The one big problem with buying pork from the local markets, or anyplace where the meat is not refrigerated, is the widespread use of formalin (formaldehyde) spray to inhibit bacterial growth. Formalin is a potent carcinogen. Actually, the use of formalin is not just limited to meat in these markets. It's also used on fruits and vegetables. Rim Ping supermarkets tests its produce and seafood for formalin.

I was in Tesco Kamtieng a few weeks ago and there was lots of pork deep discounted with the yellow sticker on. It had a day or two left on the best before date. I bought quite bit, cut it up , cooked it and bagged it up. The dog now has months worth of dog food in the freezer.

I know everyone is aware but thai pork(and other meats, oh and veg and fruit!) is loaded with chemicals and antibiotics and other banned substances and its a real lottery whether you are get decent healthy food.

Be very very wary of use-by dates and discounted major supermarket packaged meats. Overnight re-labeling is common. Having said that, red meats may still be ok if cooked properly, especially stewed. Steer well clear of suspect chicken.

Pork is so cheap here I cannot believe that someone would compromise on the quality just to save what is literally a few baht. All our pork is purchased from a farm that gets it supply from the villagers, the pigs seem to have the free run of the land and when they are slaughtered they are stunned with those electric headphone things first. The farm then hangs the meat in walk in fridges for two days before it goes to be sold. The combination of happy, mostly free range pigs and a couple of days hanging makes a huge difference from the stressed out pigs that provide the meat in many places

Pork is so cheap here I cannot believe that someone would compromise on the quality just to save what is literally a few baht. All our pork is purchased from a farm that gets it supply from the villagers, the pigs seem to have the free run of the land and when they are slaughtered they are stunned with those electric headphone things first. The farm then hangs the meat in walk in fridges for two days before it goes to be sold. The combination of happy, mostly free range pigs and a couple of days hanging makes a huge difference from the stressed out pigs that provide the meat in many places

And here is?

And here is?

Are they CP pigs?