2+ years overstay, want to pay fine and cross into Cambodia (visa on arrival)

Issandon also what I understand its better ty fly in as he then can get a so called business visa at the airport in PP (25us) and that later change/extend  up to 12 month visa for around 285 us.Can and will most times be done with agents so no big thing to do and after that no BS with any visa at all. Dont think that kind of business visa is issued at landborders but I can be wrong.

It IS issued at all land borders also for US$25. I got mine at Poipet earlier this year. But with an overstay he might not be allowed to leave Thailand at a land border (except Nong Khai) so flying to Phnom Penh would be best. If he then wants to return to Thailand to get his stuff and subsequently leave overland for Cambodia, no problems. But definately a bad idea if on overstay, especially a long overstay.

He can just leave and pay 20,000 baht fine at the border. If he wants to return best is to return by air.

But best is to hurry, if new overstay rules come into effect he will be barred fom entering Thailand for some time.

Thanks guys! I dont think he plans to return to Thailand. He was just worried about getting hauled to jail while departing. Regards, D

If one is barred from Thailand, can one still make a connecting flight through Bangkok?  BKK is quite a travel hub.  Seems dicey at best but just wondering

Most likely they could. Only if they were blacklisted permanently, or for a major crime and this info would be shown in say an interpol database, which as we know many countries don't check. If holding a ticket for say London-Bangkok-Vientiane on THAI Airways, provided that the passenger stays in transit I don't see how a banned passenger wouldn't be allowed to use Bangkok as a transit point. However, with more and more other regional airports adding flights, there is little need to transit in Bangkok unless one is flying THAI - also I wouldn't connect in Bangkok using separate carriers because you may be asked to check-in separately so only if flying THAI (or connecting to another Star Alliance carrier) would this work OK. If you are coming from Europe and heading to say Laos, connecting via Singapore is possible (Lao Airlines flies from Singapore to Vientiane 3 times a week), or via Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia or for a more regular schedule, fly Vietnam Airlines into Ho Chi Minh/Hanoi and then connect to Pakse/Vientiane/Luang Prabang or fly Emirates to say Ho Chi Minh and purchase a separate ticket to Vientiane.

Of course I just gave a theoretical example of a city (Vientiane), that in the past was normally accessed mostly from Thailand. Nowadays it's quite easy to bypass Bangkok as a transit hub for regional cities and in some years to come Bangkok may become just another medium to large hub, competing with much larger hubs in China, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh even, who knows. It's all very conceivable if you ask me, especially when you consider the huge size of the Chinese outbound market and the fact that Thailand continues to remain largely dependent on foreigners for inbound/outbound tourism (i.e. Thais don't travel much).