2+ years overstay, want to pay fine and cross into Cambodia (visa on arrival)

I am posting for my friend from the UK, 65 years old (not computer savvy) has overstayed 2+ years. He now receives his pension and would like to pay his fine and relocate to Cambodia. He is a nice and well meaning guy but the past 3 years have been rough here and he just wants to go, but not back to the UK. Can he use a land crossing or need to go through Swampy? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

D

He can just leave and pay 20,000 baht fine at the border. If he wants to return best is to return by air.

But best is to hurry, if new overstay rules come into effect he will be barred fom entering Thailand for some time.

He can just leave and pay 20,000 baht fine at the border. If he wants to return best is to return by air.

But best is to hurry, if new overstay rules come into effect he will be barred fom entering Thailand for some time.

Thanks guys! I dont think he plans to return to Thailand. He was just worried about getting hauled to jail while departing. Regards, D

Issandon also what I understand its better ty fly in as he then can get a so called business visa at the airport in PP (25us) and that later change/extend  up to 12 month visa for around 285 us.Can and will most times be done with agents so no big thing to do and after that no BS with any visa at all. Dont think that kind of business visa is issued at landborders but I can be wrong.

• Like 2

If he leaves after the Aug 12th deadline, and receives a black listing, does this carry any negative connotations with Cambodia? Do they share black listings? Suggest he makes sue to do it before then just to be safe.

No blacklist in Cambodia due to Thai, they could care less.  

Definitely get a business visa at arrival 25 USD but they ask for a TIP at the airport many times or refuse to give change just sit there and smile at you as if they don't understand...  

One year visa is 290 roughly... can get it at any Travel agency or moto shop... very easy to do.   Cambodia is basically open to anyone and everyone at the same rates and such...   

BUT he wants to pay his Thai fine and be on the good list as majority of flights go to BKK (can also go Singapore or Hong Kong or others but many flights / lowest cost trips go through Bangkok) and the better medical is at Bangkok.  Spore has good medical but a higher price.  So stay on the good side of Thai authorities.  

• Like 2

Topah,

as far as I know, no such arrestings at the immigration desks at airports has been reported. I guess thaivisa followers would be one of the first to know.

I guess they will set up a date for the new rules to be put into effect. Why not the same date as they gave the B2B and exempt visas, Aug. 12th?

Just a thought.

Edited by thaibreaker

OVERSTAY AND BE BLACKLISTED

Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

BANGKOK: -- [thaivisa.com] Over the past two weeks, social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook have been flooded with information on an apparent crackdown by Immigration on foreigners that overstay their visa in Thailand.

Today, Thaivisa.com has been given access to a new Police order proposal that is due to be signed and released imminently, detailing tough new measures for foreigners who overstay in Thailand.

The new measures, which will see overstayers of more than 90 days blacklisted, are as follows:

In the case that alien surrenders themselves:

Overstay more than 90 days > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 1 year.

Overstay more than 1 year > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 3 years.

Overstay more than 3 years > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years.

Overstay more than 5 years > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years.

Overstay more than 10 years > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for life.

In the case that the alien is being apprehended:

Overstay for less than 1 year > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years.

Overstay for more than 1 year > Forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years

• Like 1

If he leaves after the Aug 12th deadline, and receives a black listing, does this carry any negative connotations with Cambodia? Do they share black listings? Suggest he makes sue to do it before then just to be safe.

They'd be more interested in sharing his money.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I dont think he plans to return to Thailand. He was just worried about getting hauled to jail while departing. Regards, D

If he doesn`t have any plans of returning to Thailand, he shouldn`t care if he get blacklisted either :)

If he only worries about getting arrested, he should be flying out. No risk if he just gets to the airport.

This is a very good question, which many people will want to know over this year ahead.

This is a very good question, which many people will want to know over this year ahead.

I strongly doubt that any countries share black listings. So for me the answer should be really obvious.

Another case is if the country you enter, also tighten up their immigration rules. But these are obviously two different cases, you should absolutely get your clean sheet in the new country you enter.

Edited by thaibreaker

There is no August 12th date for overstaying. There has been no date set for that because it has not been approved yet by the interior ministry.

its fairly imminent, rubber stamped by necessary Gov Dept

I had overstay some years back. It was due to health related issues. In our family and strangers, that we helped. The officer at the airport just wanted to see medical paper work. All would have been forgiven. Fine waived.The paper work was in my checked bags. Paid the fine and returned less than four months later. No problem. I also always get waved through at any of the check points. In our village, I stop on my own. Chit chat with the officer who stands the post that must be crossed. He appreciates I always remove my sun glasses and hat. His posture gives that away. I appreciate him. 

Issandon also what I understand its better ty fly in as he then can get a so called business visa at the airport in PP (25us) and that later change/extend  up to 12 month visa for around 285 us.Can and will most times be done with agents so no big thing to do and after that no BS with any visa at all. Dont think that kind of business visa is issued at landborders but I can be wrong.

He will be on overstay in Cambodia too, he is skint

I strongly doubt that any countries share black listings. So for me the answer should be really obvious.

Another case is if the country you enter, also tighten up their immigration rules. But these are obviously two different cases, you should absolutely get your clean sheet in the new country you enter.

"I strongly doubt that any countries share black listings."

Since all of this has yet to be finalized it's impossible to say for certain, but would some stamp/annotation be put in his passport stating that he was prohibited entry to Thailand for xxx years?

If so, any immigration officer from any country would be able to see it if he bothered to look and if an application for a visa was made it would be visible to whoever processes visas at an embassy or consulate  ... not just Thailand and Cambodia, but other countries in the region or even farther afield. Its presence could at least raise red flags if noticed.

"I strongly doubt that any countries share black listings."

Since all of this has yet to be finalized it's impossible to say for certain, but would some stamp/annotation be put in his passport stating that he was prohibited entry to Thailand for xxx years?

If so, any immigration officer from any country would be able to see it if he bothered to look and if an application for a visa was made it would be visible to whoever processes visas at an embassy or consulate  ... not just Thailand and Cambodia, but other countries in the region or even farther afield. Its presence could at least raise red flags if noticed.

I see your point.

No one can be sure of anything at the moment, but I just can`t see that it matters if you have had overstay in one country, when entering the next one. If you have done nothing wrong in the country you enter, you should get a clean sheet there.

No one should presume that you will overstay in the next country as well, unless you believe that "once a criminal, always a criminal" should apply here.

You will probably get a stamp in the passport for your overstay and black listing in Thailand. Maybe you can get a question or two at the immigration checkpoint in the next country, but more than that? I "strongly" doubt it.

Computer savvy or not, how on earth can anyone overstay for two years. This is a deliberate flaunting of the rules and a fine of ThB20,000 is totally inadequate. People like this make me sick and they spoil it for those that obey the rules.

hey people have sometimes problems so you don't have be hush on the men , beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If one is barred from Thailand, can one still make a connecting flight through Bangkok?  BKK is quite a travel hub.  Seems dicey at best but just wondering

Computer savvy or not, how on earth can anyone overstay for two years. This is a deliberate flaunting of the rules and a fine of ThB20,000 is totally inadequate. People like this make me sick and they spoil it for those that obey the rules.

How does another person's overstaying spoil it for you? It just makes it harder for other overstayers.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

There is no August 12th date for overstaying. There has been no date set for that because it has not been approved yet by the interior ministry.

I was advised by a Thai police officer that it will be the end of September before they can start to blacklist people but it would be good to get a definite answer for those getting the cash together now.