Lucky to have got out in time or not?

a99az

Not sad, no hypocrisy, and I'm not going to explain it all again, if you can't see what I mean, that's up to you.

...says the anti foreigner foreigner.

and who would that be?

No idea...post-441-1405754445546_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Choosing the needs of children's education over parents desire to be in Thailand is almost always the right decision.

Even the very best international schools in Thailand barely hold up against the better state schools in the UK, not simply on the grounds of educational standards, but also on a range of social and personal development issues too.

My Thai wife is always on about putting our daughter in the very best school which we can not afford .I dont worry about my daughter because i know she is very intelligent and will make her own way if she has the basics of reading and writing in Thai and English .It helps that she is a beauty already at 11 years old .

Are you for real?

If you wanna rely on her looks, why not just wait till she's 18, buy her a micro-skirt, some stilettos and rent her a 2 square meter area around a Sukhumvit Road lamp post?

Stop being an idiot and get your child educated to the best of your ability.

Lots of intelligent people without a penny to their name pal. Don't assume anything.

She wants to be an Airline Stewardess ,so her looks should help ,along with the English she has learned mostly from me .She goes to Dara Accademy in Chiang mai ,which i think is perfectly good enough .Look it up if you dont know the school ,before mouting off .

Know Dara very well indeed, but sadly it is as stated a long long way short of even a basic state school here in the UK or my two would have gone there. Ask your self the question why do the few Thais who can afford it send there children to school here and the US? Could it be snobbery?

Edited by a99az

Back to the original topic. 11 years ago we faced a similar dilemma with my stepdaughter. We looked at what was on offer in LOS, could afford the better schools but deep down I had a nagging feeling that it wouldn't be the best route. We returned to London, she enrolled at a primary school with some 30 different nationalities where they were absolutely brilliant at teaching kids English. Onto a good state secondary school, after a gap year she starts at UCL this Sept having received an offer from Cambridge which she declined as she prefers UCL for her subject and also prefers to live in London. It was the right move for us, the years have passed and it won't be long before we think about returning to LOS on a more permanent basis. However, each case is different, the family dynamic also has to be taken into consideration.

Great news and all the best to your daughter at UCL. Wonder how many Thais would swap there Thai degree for a British one?

• Like 1

Even the very best international schools in Thailand barely hold up against the better state schools in the UK, not simply on the grounds of educational standards, but also on a range of social and personal development issues too.

This is complete rubbish.

People who resort to buzzwords and pseudo-intellectual twaddle such as "social and personal development issues" seldom know what they're talking about.

Might be buzzwords in Thailand now but here in the UK!

Great news and all the best to your daughter at UCL. Wonder how many Thais would swap there Thai degree for a British one?

Since you are the OP, is the real topic, "Is British education better than Thai education?"

Since you are the OP, is the real topic, "Is British education better than Thai education?"

It certainly contributed to my decision to leave Thailand if thats any help.

She wants to be an Airline Stewardess ,so her looks should help ,along with the English she has learned mostly from me .She goes to Dara Accademy in Chiang mai ,which i think is perfectly good enough .Look it up if you dont know the school ,before mouting off .

Know Dara very well indeed, but sadly it is as stated a long long way short of even a basic state school here in the UK or my two would have gone there. Ask your self the question why do the few Thais who can afford it send there children to school here and the US? Could it be snobbery?

Generally the Thai elite don't send them to England/Scotland until they are about 15. But they don't move with them.

If I can afford it I'll send my kids at age 15 to Scotland, which for it's size has the best schools and unis in the world.

• Like 2

Generally the Thai elite don't send them to England/Scotland until they are about 15. But they don't move with them.

If I can afford it I'll send my kids at age 15 to Scotland, which for it's size has the best schools and unis in the world.

The YouGov survey findings suggest this is an investment that is sorely needed. With the typical degree now costing £27,000 in tuition fees alone, students have a right to be better prepared for the battleground that is the graduate jobs market.”

While Scots studying in their home country remain exempt from tuition fees, students from elsewhere in the UK pay up to £9,000 a year for their degrees.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/scots-university-among-worst-for-graduate-jobs-1-3091602

As much as I liked Trainspotting, and its portrayal of Scottish young adults, they undoubtedly speak the most non-neutral English on the planet. I've commonly heard Dutch and Germans with more comprehendible English.

Rgs, I have to say I agree with you 100% about your comment on the working class, another thing, there should be no family allowance, having kids is peoples own responsibility, and I get so angry at people keeping on producing kids when they know the can't afford to keep them, and rely on the taxpayer.

But the biggest scum of the lot are those capitalist bast---s who squeeze the working class for all they have got, and keep getting richer at the working classes expense, and then die and leave their millions to the spoiled brats of their offspring. The government should tax these peoples inheritance at 90%.

First para, no arguements from me, I agree.

Second para, please let me know when you discover the Nirvana you seek, for me right now Thailand will do.

People who resort to buzzwords and pseudo-intellectual twaddle such as "social and personal development issues" seldom know what they're talking about.

Dave, Dave, Dave; when you finish your education in a few years come back and post.

• Like 1

I always laugh about these education debates people go off on and how they are sending their children to the BEST schools in the world. Haven't people figured out that the "best" label comes from marketing and when the marketing doesn't draw them in, they figure if the price is high enough it must be the "best". What do you hope to accomplish with the "Best"? In the end if they graduate all you bought was an expensive school name on a diploma. It does not guarantee your child is smarter or even a better person or adult.

While I will not argue teachers and their credentials are important it really boils down to 2 things. 1) How you raise your children and 2) How you engage and support them through their educational development years. I have known quite a few folks and their children who went through public schools then off to a no name university to graduate with honors and are now out working in very nice jobs. The common denominator was their parents were engaged with their children.

So go ahead and toss your child into high dollar schools and private universities. If you are not involved, paying a school to raise your child is not the answer. It just spoils them and makes them arrogant rotten adults later(generally speaking). I've met many of them in my career and I have been a hiring manager for 25 years.

I can't really think of anything better to spend money on than children's education.

SC

Well come on then, give us some insight. Or is your contribution simply to claim something you disagree with as "Complete Rubbish"

We've put our children in what we firmly believe to be the best school for them - into the UK State School System. We can afford the UK private schooling, and my employers will certainly pay for the very best of International Schools. We have made the same choice many professional expats who can actually afford to choose make.

I have absolutely no doubt we made the right decision for our children's education, its already paying off in our eldest's access to what is unquestionably one of the best universities in the UK (in the top ten globally ranked universities) and our youngest looks set to follow.

Putting aside academic achievement, they've both gained a worldliness that is lacking in any of their previous international school class mates.

And let me address a very specific made by Anto in which he regards the looks of his daughter as a bonus. One of the very specific concerns we had in making our choice was the pressures on girls to simply be pretty. The social norms placed on young girls and women in Thailand (including in the International Schools) are not what we want for our children. As a parent I'm grateful we are in a position we are able to choose and happy with the choice we made.

Off you go with your 'Complete Rubbish' or come back with a reasoned argument.

Your comments re: "worldliness" and the "pressure" placed on girls to be pretty are just silly.

Read about William Heinecke. He studied at ISB (under the tutelage of the inimitable Madame Bunnag) and founded Minor International PLC. Do you think he might have been more successful had he been more "wordly"?

Good luck to your eldest, though. I hope things work out well for him/her.

Rgs, I have to say I agree with you 100% about your comment on the working class, another thing, there should be no family allowance, having kids is peoples own responsibility, and I get so angry at people keeping on producing kids when they know the can't afford to keep them, and rely on the taxpayer.

But the biggest scum of the lot are those capitalist bast---s who squeeze the working class for all they have got, and keep getting richer at the working classes expense, and then die and leave their millions to the spoiled brats of their offspring. The government should tax these peoples inheritance at 90%.

First para, no arguements from me, I agree.

Second para, please let me know when you discover the Nirvana you seek, for me right now Thailand will do.

Your second para, that's the way it will always be, Yes, Thailand will certainly do, if only they could do something upcountry here about the unlicenced drivers, and children riding motorbikes.

Your comments re: "worldliness" and the "pressure" placed on girls to be pretty are just silly.

Read about William Heinecke. He studied at ISB (under the tutelage of the inimitable Madame Bunnag) and founded Minor International PLC. Do you think he might have been more successful had he been more "wordly"?

Read some Aristotle - "One swallow does not a summer make"

Read some Aristotle - "One swallow does not a summer make"

Not another, "look at Bill" story...

I have heard of no changes to the visa extension based on marriage so your post is just the usual Thai bash.

i dont know how long youve been here but over the last few years there has been many changes to marriage, dependant , and retirement visa extensions its the salami effect gradually slicing it bit by bit slowly to make it more difficult each time

Please point out to me the "many changes to marriage" visas.

I am on my 9th straight, nothing has changed.

400k in the bank, copy of wifes ID card and Tabian baan, copy of my arrival card and passport, letter from bank with and up to date copy of bank book, photos and sometimes I have to draw a map.

The above hasnt changed in the last 9 years.

So please explain your remarks, they serve no purpose and in fact may well spread alarm to others who know no better.

Agree with rgs2001uk.

From my perspective the "retirement visa" is easier now than when I first moved here in '96. Age requirement was 60, I was 56.

Then the age requirement dropped to 55, but I was advised to get a letter from a Thai official to accompany the application for my Non-"O" Visa.

Now it's 50 and pretty automatic.

funny, we've 'gone that far'. Final interviews and all. Just waiting for a minister to be appointed.

Final count....5000 odd baht from memory.

I'm glad you are a superior human. Heres 5 baht. Call someone who cares.

Do let us know when the happy day will be, you may get a Thai passport but you will never be accepted as Thai.

Acceptance is a two-way street.

• Like 2

To the OP. Thailand will always be fine to those foreigners who follow not only the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law. Too many people who come ignore the former, and piss all over the latter, as we have seen with the perpetual tourists now whinging that this was all unforeseen, when the rest of us thought it was only a matter of time.

Education is a biggie, and this is something I and most people struggle with given the real choices are limited. For me, if I couldn't afford to send my children to one of the two or three top tier international schools in Bangkok, I wouldn't be here, and that is saying a lot given I run my own business and what I do my livelihood and I'll be honest, my lifestyle, depends on being based here. I'd give it all away for my child's education.

oh, would you really?

To the OP. Thailand will always be fine to those foreigners who follow not only the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law. Too many people who come ignore the former, and piss all over the latter, as we have seen with the perpetual tourists now whinging that this was all unforeseen, when the rest of us thought it was only a matter of time.

Education is a biggie, and this is something I and most people struggle with given the real choices are limited. For me, if I couldn't afford to send my children to one of the two or three top tier international schools in Bangkok, I wouldn't be here, and that is saying a lot given I run my own business and what I do my livelihood and I'll be honest, my lifestyle, depends on being based here. I'd give it all away for my child's education.

oh, would you really?

Ah, you must think I'm a whoremonger or something?

Given I've already moved away from Thailand once for my child's needs I don't have a problem doing so again.

Absolutely no way we are going to send our kids to a second rate school. Apart from the top two or three schools here, we'd go a good state school in Australia no worries whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1