MH17: Malaysia Airlines Plane Shot Down Near Ukraine Border

george

At least 154 Dutch citizens killed in Ukraine air disaster

AMSTERDAM, July 18 (Xinhua) -- At least 154 Dutch citizens have been killed in the Malayssian passenger crash in the eastern part of Ukraine on Thursday, the airlines European head said.

Huib Gorte said that the victims include 154 Dutch passengers, 27 Australians, 23 Malaysians, 11 Indonesians, 6 Britons, 4 Germans, 4 Belgians, 3 Philippines, 1 Canadian and 47 of yet unknown identities.

The Malaysia Airlines MH17 passenger plane crashed Thursday in Ukraine near the Russian border, with all the 280 passengers and 15 crew members on board reportedly having been killed.

All 15 crew members are Malaysians.

Jos Nijhuis, president and CEO of the Schiphol Airport Group, said: "We sympathize with the families who have been affected. We will do everything in our power to accommodate and support them as well as possible and support."

The Malaysian ambassador in the Netherlands, Fauziah Mohamad Taib, also was present at the press conference.

"My condolences are especially to the Dutch citizens and also to the other nationalities," she said. "The embassy will be open 24 hours, in case there are questions that you might want to ask."

During the press conference all relatives of the victims were promised help. Gorter said the Malaysia Airlines would try make a plane available for a flight to Kiev.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-07/18/c_126767023.htm

-- Xinhua 2014-07-18

I think that many of the passengers were on their way to Thailand, so some members on this forum may know some of the unfortunate passengers.

Edited by JesseFrank

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ukraine government reporting the plane was shot down by a RUSSIAN plane. Not a pro-Russian separatist rebel weapon. Russian. Also keep in mind initial reports are many Americans on board. As far as the black box, there is going to be an issue as to which country is in control of the investigation. Probably going to be Russia. Can you see the problem with that? Perhaps welcome to Cold War 2.0.

375]

375]MOSCOW — The Ukrainian government said on Thursday that a Russian military plane had shot down a Ukrainian fighter jet in Ukrainian airspace the previous evening, a serious allegation of direct intervention by Russia’s armed forces.

375]If confirmed, the confrontation would represent the first open and direct involvement by Russia’s military in eastern Ukraine since the separatist rebellion began there in April.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/world/europe/ukraine-says-russian-plane-shot-down-its-fighter-jet.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=b-lede-package-region&region=lede-package&WT.nav=lede-package

I totally agree.

Not only have we all the middle east terrorists to contend with, but it appears since the problems with the Ukraine vs Russia we are entering into another cold war with Russia also.

Russia has been the thorn in Europe's side for decades. Even after the fall of the Soviet Union it is still causing problems and unrest in those regions. My dad once told me that after WW2 the allies should have continued on and marched straight into Russia while the Russians were weak and down as they are going to become a major threat to world peace in the future. Perhaps he was right?

How would that be different from Nazi who started the invasion?

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

• Like 1

Ok this looks more like prove. It can still be a provocation / false flag.

What would you expect, considering the source.

Give me a break.

Toothless comment... If people get there head out of there........ You would see they show real life things and our mainstream media never shows the full picture

Malaysia Airlines crash: No distress call from downed plane, says Najib

MH17-crash-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Malaysia Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has confirmed that the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, with at least 295 people on board, which went down in Eastern Ukraine on Thursday did not give out a distress call, according to The Star Online.

He said the flight route was declared safe by International Civil Aviation Organisation and International Air Transport Association stated that the airspace MH17 was traversing was not subject to restrictions.

He said that Ukranian authorities believed that the plane was shot down but that Malaysia was unable to verify this at this moment. “If it is confirmed that the plane is shot down, then the perpetrators must be brought to justice,” he told a press conference at the Sama Sama hotel in Sepang.

Najib said that he has talked to Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko who pledged a full, thorough investigation into the incident. He said that the Ukranian president had confirmed negotiations with rebels for the establishment of a humanitarian corridor.

Najib also confirmed that he had spoken to US President Barack Obama and they had agreed that an international team should have full access to the crash site, and that no one was to move any debris including the black box.

“This is a tragic day in what has already been a tragic year for Malaysia. The flight’s passengers were from many nations but we are all united in grief,’ said Najib.

Flight MH17 disappeared from radar screens in eastern Ukraine at around 1415 GMT, hours after the Boeing 777, bound for Kuala Lumpur, had taken off from Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/malaysia-airlines-crash-distress-call-downed-plane-says-najib/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-18

If it is indeed Russia that shot the plane down, then every country in the world needs to immediately apprehend all Russian citizens that are in their country pending further investigation.

Shooting down a civilian aircraft is tantamount to declaration of war and every citizen of a country that declares war on a peaceful nation is in breach of every convention since the Geneva convention.

An emotive over-reaction. There will be millions of Russians looking on in horror too.

Humanity is bound by much more than nationality.

Yes, it is an emotional reaction on my part, as I'm a Malaysian.

As to whether it's an over-reaction, that's a matter of opinion. I trust you will grant me that.

Tks rgds

insane reaction. i mean you didnt have any friends or family on the flight. emotional or not it shows a very distrubed mindset. must be the most disgusting coment i have ever read - anywhere!

" The Russian Defence Ministry couldn't be reached for comment Thursday about the Ukrainian jet and Russia's foreign ministry didn't respond to multiple requests for comment."

I would accept that as an admission of guilt.coffee1.gif

Australia PM: Ukraine crash less like accident than crime

SYDNEY: -- The Malaysia Airlines crash in Ukraine looked less like an accident than a crime, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Friday, as he urged Russia to cooperate with an investigation into the incident.

The airliner carrying 298 people came down over rebel-held eastern Ukraine on Thursday, and US officials said it appeared to have been shot down by a surface-to-air missile.

Abbott said he owed it to the families of those onboard, including 27 Australians, to find out exactly what happened to the plane which was travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

"As things stand, this looks less like an accident than a crime," he told parliament.

"And if so, the perpetrators must be brought to justice," he added to cries of "hear, hear".

Abbott said Australia would as quickly as possible work for a binding resolution at the United Nations Security Council calling for a full and impartial investigation.

Full story: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Regional/2014/07/18/Ukraine-crash-less-like-accident-than-crime/

-- THE STAR ONLINE 2014-07-18

I read through the pages - tragic obviously - but why 160 kms of course - if I understand it correctly?

Yea it smells, since they lie about 370...

Wasn't there a statement that they had deviated due to weather, but were still within the accepted fly zone?

There is a NOTAM for parts of region in conflict, not where the plane went down but still commmercial planes don't avoid the area, after a freighter were shot down only a few days ago.

Not a freighter. Two fighters were targeted one managed to land,after being damaged, the other crashed, pilot ejected.

I read through the pages - tragic obviously - but why 160 kms of course - if I understand it correctly?

Yea it smells, since they lie about 370...

Igor Strelkow posted yesterday on a russian network site, that they shot down an AN-26:

screenshot.png

Later he deleted it again. Why ? He also deleted on Twitter, that they have captured a BUK rocket system from the Ukrainian army, capable of attack planes and rockets above 20km altitude.

Later he said, his group does not have a weapon to attack a plane flying so high...

You think that is a coincidence or what?

The recorded phone calls are also fake...?

Of course they did not want to shoot at a passenger plane, it was an extremely tragic accident.

Malaysia vows to find out the truth behind MH17 tragedy
By Digital Content

SEPANG, July 18 (Bernama) -- Malaysia vowed to find out precisely what caused Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 to crash in Ukraine although the Ukranian authorities believed the commercial airplane was shot down.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said if the plane had indeed been shot down, Malaysia would insist that the perpetrators be swiftly brought to justice.

"No stone will be left unturned," he told a media conference here at Sama-Sama Hotel today.

Sounding sober in the packed press conference, Najib said the aircraft's flight route was declared safe by the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

The International Air Transportation Association had stated that the airspace the aircraft was traversing was not subject to restrictions, he said.

He said Malaysia Airlines had confirmed that the aircraft, which was ferrying 280 passengers and 15 crew, did not make a distress call.

"According to information provided by Kiev Air Traffic Control, the location of the plane's emergency locator beacon was 48 degrees 7 minutes and 23 seconds North; and 38 degrees 31 minutes and 33 seconds East," he said.

Najib said emergency operations centres had been established in relation to the tragedy, which he described as "terrible and deeply shocking".

He said Malaysian officials had been in constant contact with their counterparts in Ukraine and elsewhere.

Najib said he had also spoken to the President of Ukraine and the leader had pledged that there would be a full, thorough and independent investigation where Malaysian officials would be invited to take part.

"The Ukrainian president also confirmed that his government will negotiate with rebels in the east of the country, in order to establish a humanitarian corridor to the crash site," he said.

Najib also said he had had several conversations with the Prime Minister of the Netherlands and would also be speaking to a number of world leaders on the tragedy.

Najib revealed that he also received a call from US President Barack Obama and both agreed the investigation must not be hindered in anyway.

"An international team must have full access to the crash site and no one should interfere with the area, or move any debris, including the black box." he said.

Najib said Malaysia Airlines was in the process of notifying the next-of-kin of the passengers and crew while all possible care would be provided.

He said Malaysia was dispatching a special flight to Kiev, carrying a Special Malaysia Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team, as well as a medical team.

The Boeing 777-200 Malaysia Airline MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was scheduled to arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 6.10 am, Malaysian time. (BERNAMA)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-18

Ok this looks more like prove. It can still be a provocation / false flag.

What would you expect, considering the source.

Give me a break.

Toothless comment... If people get there head out of there........ You would see they show real life things and our mainstream media never shows the full picture

Toothless, but thank goodness, not brainless enough to look for accurate updates on current events in the Ukraine from RT !!!

This did not happen near the Ukrainian border. it happened inside Ukraine, near the Russian border. Shot down with a Russian missile. Please Thai Visa try to be more accurate !!!!

Was there a Russian flag on that missile or any other markings?

Your point is irrelevant, both sides are most likely using the same Russian (or Soviet) made arms and ammo which came from the safe factory.

The question is - who fired that missile...

Probably one of the unaccountable pro Russian rebels. Who are being armed by the Russians.

Edited by oldsailor35

Why on earth were they flying over a war zone that has seen aircraft shot down very recently?

Because international authorities deemed it safe. Aircraft of the worlds airlines, until now have been flying the same route. Just unfortunate for MA that once again it was them.

I seriously doubt the Russians or Ukrainians would knowingly shoot down a civilian airliner, neither have anything to gain from this.

For those of you who want to ramp up WW3, let me remind you that Russia is not Afghanistan, or Iraq, If you get into a war with Russia, she will kick our butts. A victory would be ashes in our mouths.

If the Ukraine (our allies) are found to be responsible for shooting down MH17, this will all be written off as an unfortunate accident.

Very sad. Imagine all the people who just sent their loved ones off. Kids on board the plane.... You are asleep and suddenly all hell breaks loose.

Very sad. War is useless.

There are reports that jet fighters were seen near the plane. Wouldn't be surprised someone tried shooting a surface to air missile at them, they diverted, and it went for the heat of the Boeing's engines.

Watching the UK Sky News for the past 2 hours.

They make the logical reasoning that the Russians and pro Russian rebels would have no interests in shooting down a civilian aircraft.

However, when i think deeper into it.

The Ukrainian government may however have interests as a propaganda stunt to encourage the pro-Russian rebels to stop shooting at their military aircraft.... Think about it.

I am very suspicious of the dialogue coming out of Kiev within a short time of this incident and the words they are using..... Like they already had a composed script.......very suspicious.

With satellite observation, and a guarantee that the US and others are already scanning the area for the presence of munitions capable of reaching the plane and the area it happened can be pretty much pinpointed. So it is not going to be too difficult to track back the satellite images with nice blue skies and in the middle of the afternoon.

How about considering the Russian armed and backed pro Russian rebels who incidentially are led by a Russian agent, who has warned about flying in Ukrainian airspace. Think about it LS 49 !!!

Edited by oldsailor35

Aviation expert Major Charles Hayman told Sky News: "It's highly likely this aircraft was flying along a fault line between Russian and Ukrainian defences.

"Its possible the Ukrainians flapped a bit, thought it was hostile and shot it down.

"Perhaps it was confusion at the Ukrainian air defence centre.

"It looks like someone failed to recognise this was a civilian plane and shot it down."

A spokesman for Boeing said it was aware of reports of MH17's disappearance, while a Foreign Office official added: "We're urgently working to establish what has happened."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/malaysian-passenger-plane-crashes-ukraine-151316125.html?vp=1#znIhFiK

What the hell are you repeating all this for we know all the news, what a waste of specie and boring.

Not a crime ? Whats he been smoking..??

I take it English isn't your first language?

Why do you need to point this out? Is it a requirement?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

Edited by boike

Dutch man posted a photo of the plane before boarding. The caption on his FB page read:

"If it disappears, this is what it looks like"

MH17.JPG

Seen that one also, but decided against it to post it as it is too eerie.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos