Possible to drive to China from Chiang Rai

Mojomor

Some friends of mine from Chiang Rai tell me they see many cars from China crossing the new bridge at Chiang Khong and traveling into Thailand. Is it possible to do the reverse, i.e. drive a Thai reg car up to China and travel in that country?. It should be, based on reciprocation.

Many thanks in advance.

I am told that It takes a guide and special permission from China to do this trip. They only allow one person to have a Chinese driving permit. I expect with the new bridge open this will change soon. Others may have updated information.

Just across the river from the Golden Triangle there are about 400,000 Chinese in their new city. The international airport is under construction as well as phase 1 of the industrial complex. The new complex is to have 1 million chinese workers. Chiang Rai will start to be flooded with visitors. I am told that monthly we are getting about 10,000 Chinese visitors coming across the river.

• Like 2

Yes Don, I got the same message when I drove to Boten, (the main Laos-China border). I was told you need a special invitation from someone in China. Between the lines the message was you're not welcome.

So much for quid pro quo on border crossings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. Well, that great plan looks doomed. My idea was to include visits to Jinghong, Kunming, and Lijiang, traveling overland to enjoy the views, and maybe take some photos. Trips to Dali and Shangri-la were options also depending on time and budget etc.

A possible plan B would be to fly from BKK to Kunming, stay a few days, and then take the train to Lijiang, maybe including Dali. Shangri-la seems to have been renamed to attract tourist dollars, and they probably don't need mine.

Jinghong could be done separately on a later trip, driving to the Laos - China border, leaving the car and traveling overland to Jinghong for a few days.

Any other ideas welcome.

I once went by car to Dali and then by bus to Lijiang. The bus ride was really bad. Came back to Dali via 1.5 hour train. Recommend the train to all 3 cities (not Jinghong). Dali seemed to be more interesting to me than did Lijiang. I missed Shangri La but would still like to go. My former employee in my Kunming office is now running a special in city travel service on the weekends. She has another job now but would be great for you to see Kunming and the New City with someone like her who speaks excellent English. My car is still there.

What I heard about this is that after completing all of the 100 Plus requirements you need to get your Thai vehicle to Mohan (China side of Laos-China border) the owner of the vehicle has to leave a security deposit of something like 200 thousand baht at the border. There is no such thing as reciprocity.. But Thai authorities are too timid to negotiate more equal treatment for Thai motorists visiting Yunnan province.

• Like 1

Proven way for Red China to occupy a new land....... send in so many Chinese that the place is effectively Chinese.

This incursion in far North Thailand will have a HUGE impact on CR and CM. Brits cushy life in CM is numbered days.

have travailed all over the yunan area by bus back in the early 90's, wonderful

was up at Betong above Meung Sing Laos and also was told need Chinese guide and also visa in advance ( you can get them in Luang Namtha)

Easy to get ur visa in advance an than travel overland bus buses ot Kunming an fly back, would make a great trip.

You can take a laos car into China so that is an option if your interested.

Proven way for Red China to occupy a new land....... send in so many Chinese that the place is effectively Chinese.

This incursion in far North Thailand will have a HUGE impact on CR and CM. Brits cushy life in CM is numbered days.

thats seems like a business model employed by some other people to occupy the UK..........and Brits cushy life is long gone in the UK

• Like 1

As with any Country, you must abide by their Immigration rules. I travelled to China for a number of years and the rules were constantly relaxed or reinforced to suit the threat of overstay/criminal activity. Prior to the Olympic Games in Beijing, other than guided pre arranged excursion holidays through a Chinese tour operator, the requirement of an 'Invitation Letter from either a Chinese citizen or a foreign resident for a 'Tourist' to enter China was introduced as a requirement.

The rules have never been relaxed since that date. Currently as a Tourist to China you still need a 'Letter of Invitation', either from a company, an establishment or an individual living in China. They are very keen to know the whereabouts of all foreigners in China, similar to Thailand.

Chinese hotels are responsible for notifying Police of your location. If you live in a private dwelling then you must report your location to Police within 24 hours of arrival. If you move location, the same applies.

The current requirement to visit as a Tourist can be found here;

2. Supporting documents

Documents showing the itinerary including air ticket booking record (round trip) and proof of a hotel reservation, etc.

or an Invitation Letter for Tourist issued by a relevant unit or individual in China.

A. Invitation issued by organization (including government at the county level and above, company and public institution) should contain:
(1) Information of the applicant (incl. full name, gender, date of birth, etc.);
(2) Details of the planned visit (incl. arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, accomodation arrangements, etc.);
(3) Information of the inviting party(incl. name of organization or person concerned, contact telephone number, address, official stamp of the organization, signature of the legal representative or individual).

B. Invitation issued by personal inviter (including Chinese citizen, residence from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who are holding legal residence in mainland China) shall provide two documents: A) An invitation letter. cool.png A hard copy of the identity card of the inviter.

Invitation issued by personal inviter who are non-Chinese citizen and are holding legal residence in mainland China shall provide three documents: A) An invitation letter. cool.png A hard copy of the first page of the passport of the inviter. C) A hard copy of the legal residence permit in China.

https://www.visaforchina.org/web/guidance/StepByStep_stepAgreeGoNext.action

Edited by Faz

I spent April and May 2014 touring on my own in China and got my visa in Bangkok.

You can get the visa only in the country of your residence. I.E. if you have a working permit for Thailand or any extension of stay you can apply for a Chinese visa in Thailand.

They wanted to see only an itinerary and a ticket for going in and out. As I planned to extend my visa in China, I had no flight out. So I presented a plan, leaving Yunnan by bus to Laos. That was sufficient.

The extension of the visa in China was very simple; it took then 3 working days.

I heard about Chinese consulates in Europe who want to see prebooked accommodation. The easiest way, make a reservation for 8 days Beijing, 8 days Xian and so on and cancel this after you have got the visa. When travelling in China nobody asks about your itinerary.

Going from Chiang Mai, there is a daily bus going from Luang Nam Ta to Jinghong. That bus leaves even if not fully occupied.

As long you can’t speak or read and write Chinese don’t drive by yourself.

Edited by arthurschmidt

After getting the Visa for China you should have a driver to pickup there. No one is allowed to drive in China unless with Chinese driving license which is only provided to a permanent resident after a full driving test

NicoBKK, on 22 Jul 2014 - 10:12, said:

After getting the Visa for China you should have a driver to pickup there. No one is allowed to drive in China unless with Chinese driving license which is only provided to a permanent resident after a full driving test

Not exactly correct. I obtained a provisional licence whenever I was there on production of my UK licence without any test. This varies from province to province as many are autonomous regions and can change / amend laws issued by Beijing - it's a minefield.

China has a superb transport system of trains, buses, coaches and taxis........all very cheap.

I really wouldn't recommend driving in China, you think Thailand is bad, no, no, even as a pedestrian you need eyes in the back of your head with motorcycles constantly using the pavements. They don't take prisoners in China.

Word of warning about taxi meters. You will always be charged 2 yuan above the display on the meter. It's a standard 'oil' surplus charge. Your not getting screwed, everyone pays it. Tip if you wish, but it's not expected, the Chinese are very proud people and are sometimes offended by tips.

"Word of warning about taxi meters. You will always be charged 2 yuan above the display on the meter. It's a standard 'oil' surplus charge. Your not getting screwed, everyone pays it. Tip if you wish, but it's not expected, the Chinese are very proud people and are sometimes offended by tips"

Not sure where you had that happen; I've had taxis in 4 provinces in China and was never charged over the display on the meter.

squarethecircle, on 22 Jul 2014 - 20:41, said:

"Word of warning about taxi meters. You will always be charged 2 yuan above the display on the meter. It's a standard 'oil' surplus charge. Your not getting screwed, everyone pays it. Tip if you wish, but it's not expected, the Chinese are very proud people and are sometimes offended by tips"

Not sure where you had that happen; I've had taxis in 4 provinces in China and was never charged over the display on the meter.

It's standard practice. Ask anyone that's Chinese.

If your a foreigner and you don't speak Chinese a taxi driver will not get confrontational over a 2 baht charge he can't explain to you because he can't speak English.

Used to be 1 baht for years up until around 2010.

Bet you tipped the taxi driver........he got his 2 baht and more.

"It's standard practice. Ask anyone that's Chinese.

If your a foreigner and you don't speak Chinese a taxi driver will not get confrontational over a 2 baht charge he can't explain to you because he can't speak English."

No clue, I speak basic putonghua and would know. Never heard of this but will ask Chinese friends in the morning.

OP sounds like you can't go but that ride from Luang Namtha up to Jinghong is very nice and a stunning road building job in some parts (instead of carving the road in they just built kms-long viaducts), Jinghong is a beautiful little town you can rent a bike and roll around the countryside, people there speak some kind of Thai, also lots of Burmese there selling jade and rubies etc., then another 8 hour bus up to Kunming (a little expensive around 1200 baht for a basic bus) and you're on the Chinese rail grid, Dali is worth checking out and some of the areas around there, would love to take the road west from there over to NE Myanmar (I think Kokang) the area has a lot of Chinese Muslims which (apart from the odd terrorist from out west) were some of the best people I met in China, Lijiang is worth skipping on the other hand, it's just a plastic fake crap Ch. tourist trap. GoKunming site has good information on the area, you might ask there.

Edited by squarethecircle
  • Like 2

Yes Don, I got the same message when I drove to Boten, (the main Laos-China border). I was told you need a special invitation from someone in China. Between the lines the message was you're not welcome.

So much for quid pro quo on border crossings.

Not so sure about not being welcome. China does not engage in reciprocal policies, for the most part. Anything made in China can be exported all over the world. But, try importing something into China. It is a nightmare. There is a law prohibiting anyone in China from purchasing anything overseas worth over $150, and having it sent to them. it is not a customs duty issue. It is an absolute prohibition. Allows their positively heinous govt. to regulate and profit from everything. Allows the Politburo members to continue being billionaires, which all but one member are. That is in US dollars, mind you. Absolute protectionism, in the extreme, conducted from this most foul of governments. So, it is no surprise they would be highly restrictive about allowing you to take your car into the country. They are restrictive about nearly everything. That is their style.

• Like 1