Anatomy of a long term tourist

I do NOT feel that tourist-VISA is the appropriate visa actually for you guys.... There are other VISA that much better can fullfill your special needs...

Just start to read about them, and let it sink in a bit, and than you will be just fine...

Glegolo

The best thing would be to obtain a work permit and a business visa permit. That way, just in case immigration decide you may be working, it will be okay because you have a work permit. And in case they think you might not be working but are in fact running a business then also have a business visa. The only problem i then see Is if they suspect you are actually a tourist then they may deny you entry. So maybe also obtain a tourist visa.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

The best thing would be to obtain a work permit and a business visa permit. That way, just in case immigration decide you may be working, it will be okay because you have a work permit. And in case they think you might not be working but are in fact running a business then also have a business visa. The only problem i then see Is if they suspect you are actually a tourist then they may deny you entry. So maybe also obtain a tourist visa.

You say "obtain a work permit" like it's something you just apply for. How do you expect him to get a work permit as a self employed author? He would have to start a company or be employed by a company.

• Like 2

They'll have to clarify this, I myself was in the Kingdom for well over 180 days out of a 365 day period during 2011/2012 (touring around all parts of the country and hopping in and out of Laos Myanmar and Malaysia for various periods of time) but immigration officer didn't even flip through my passport when I got stamped in last Saturday in Chiang Khong, just saw I had been in other countries for the past few months and applied the 30 day visa-free stamp. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with folks like you as I really can't see the "mai pen lai" immigration authorities cracking down with people who aren't clearly abusing the system.

The situation is complicated since the the OP has a non-spousal partner but the following extension of stay and WP would be possibly available to a published author -- From Police Order 777/2551

2.12 In the case of mass media function:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Confirmation and request has been made by the Public Relations Department or the Information Department attached to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Edited by JLCrab

OP, you are missing the whole point. It's BACK TO BACK NEVER GO ANYWHERE ELSE visa abusers they are weaning off the Thailand teat, so to speak. You are plainly touring. As long as you keep that up, I don't think they will be adding up your total days.

You MIGHT have to amend your plans a WEE bit in the "come and go as you bloody well please" department, but after all, it's not your country of origin.

'nuff said

~

The situation is complicated since the the OP has a non-spousal partner but the following extension of stay and WP would be possibly available to a published author -- From Police Order 777/2551
2.12 In the case of mass media function:
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) Confirmation and request has been made by the Public Relations Department or the Information Department attached to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing this would be the media (Non-imm M) visa? If so, from the information I've seen it seems to be exclusively aimed at press (journalists, photographers, cameramen, etc.). The media visa requires a letter from a news agency and 'At least three examples of published news reports or other forms of news reports, especially those related to Thailand, that has been done in the past by the journalist in English (if it is not in English, the translation in English is necessary).' To further complicate matters I'm self published, so I couldn't rely on a publisher for any documentation of my job, and I doubt the authorities would be all that interested in a print out of my product pages on Amazon and a screenshot of my incoming royalties. It'd be a nice visa to have, but I don't think I qualify.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This would be an inappropriate visa for our situation, as I don't work. In effect I'd be moving from one visa that underserves me to another that overserves me, with neither truly being the correct visa. It is also, surely, against the law to enter a country on a business visa if you intend to do no business. I'd just be breaking the law in the other direction.

OP, you are missing the whole point. It's BACK TO BACK NEVER GO ANYWHERE ELSE visa abusers they are weaning off the Thailand teat, so to speak. You are plainly touring. As long as you keep that up, I don't think they will be adding up your total days.

You MIGHT have to amend your plans a WEE bit in the "come and go as you bloody well please" department, but after all, it's not your country of origin.

'nuff said.

No, I see the point. My argument is that it would be useful to see some official guidelines, because as it stands long term, regular tourists like me and my partner run the risk of being caught in the dragnet designed to get rid of people who stay year round.

They'll have to clarify this...

Yep. Most countries have hard and fast rules that dictate how long a person in any given situation is legally allowed to stay (even countries as... casual about organisation as Thailand). It isn't too much to ask for clarification.

^^ OP - have a look at writing articles for, lets say Huff Post, and the other more amenable English language magazine's and newspapers that are always hungry for high quality content, especially if it's free. Contact the editors and offer up pre-prepared articles so they can quickly scan the subject, relevance and quality.

With a little bit of application you should be able to rack up the three published article requirement quickly. Then you may be able to go for a freelancer media visa -

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/Guidanceforforeignpress.pdf

Edited by Pattszero

... and here I thought you would be writing suspense thrillers but if you write romance novels (which would maybe explain why 50 books at age 32) maybe you could get a job at the TV Thai soaps or lakhon thorathat

Sortapundit...I see your point. Best to get the most appropriate visa. Is there an author visa? I suggest you get that one. But that may mean you wouldn't be permitted to also engage in more touristy activities. You could take a risk, but if you did get the author visa then I'd still suggest you get a tourist visa at the same time, just in case immigration decide you aren't really an author, but more of a tourist, and decide to deny you entry.

It's a nice idea, but I'm not a journalist. I write romance novels, and I'm entirely unqualified to write news or opinion. Novelists and journalists use the same alphabet, but we jumble it up in entirely different ways tongue.png

Well write a few Thai love short-stories and get them published in the English media local rags.

Man, for a novelist you're seriously short on imagination. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

... and here I thought you would be writing suspense thrillers but if you write romance novels (which would maybe explain why 50 books at age 32) maybe you could get a job at the TV Thai soaps or lakhon thorathat

It's a nice idea, but I'm not a journalist. I write romance novels, and I'm entirely unqualified to write news or opinion. Novelists and journalists use the same alphabet, but we jumble it up in entirely different ways alt=tongue.png>

Well write a few Thai love short-stories and get them published in the English media local rags.

Man, for a novelist you're seriously short on imagination. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Ha! There's a reason I call myself retired. If I have to write one more bloody love story I'll lose my mind smile.png

• Like 1