Ousted Thai PM Yingluck vows not to flee

webfact

Ousted Thai PM Yingluck vows not to flee

BANGKOK, July 18, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's deposed former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday ruled out going into self-exile to avoid possible criminal charges, after the country's junta gave her permission to travel overseas.

In her first news conference since the army seized power in May, Yingluck said she would fly to Paris for a "private trip".

She is expected to attend the 65th birthday party of her elder brother, the fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, on July 26.

Thaksin, a billionaire tycoon turned populist politician, was ousted in an earlier coup in 2006 and later fled Thailand to avoid prison for a corruption conviction.

But Yingluck insisted that she would not follow in her brother's footsteps.

"I am a Thai citizen who should have rights and freedoms like any other Thais. I want to reassure you that I will not abandon my fellow Thais and I'm ready to come back to Thailand," she said.

Yingluck, who was indicted for dereliction of duty a day after she was removed from office, could face criminal charges linked to a loss-making rice subsidy scheme.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission said Thursday that it was forwarding that case to the attorney general's office for possible referral to the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions.

Yingluck insisted again on her innocence and questioned whether the commission's probe met international standards.
"The investigation is very fast unlike other political cases," she said.

Yingluck said the panel "chose to hear one-sided facts" by considering testimony from her opponents while rejecting other key witnesses.

The junta said Thursday that Yingluck had been given approval to leave the country for the first time since the coup because she had not opposed the military takeover.

Yingluck, Thailand's first female premier, was removed from office in a controversial court ruling shortly before the army toppled the remnants of her elected government.

She was among hundreds of people summoned and temporarily detained by the junta afterwards.

The army said the coup was necessary to end months of political unrest that left 28 people dead, but Thaksin's supporters accuse the military of using the protests as an excuse for a power grab.

The junta has ruled out holding new elections until around October 2015.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-07-18

The NCPO will not have true credibility until some of the top corruption bosses are actually dealt with by severe sentences which are carried out accordingly & not allowed to drag on for years through the courts or allowing those charged &/or convicted to travel.

It will never happen, T.I.T. 10 years for justice on a murder case?

• Like 1

Yingluck slams graft buster

yingluck-20-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra strongly attacked the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), accusing it of being unfair and biased for ruling her guilty in the rice-pledging scheme.

She also defended her travel abroad saying it was planned before the ruling would be reached and not a plan to escape from the country.

In a press conference today, Yingluck questioned the justice system undertaken by the NACC if it meets international standards, citing the rush in inquiry process which took a mere 21 days and another 140 days in indictment procedure.

She claimed the NACC never treated any other case that implicated politicians in such a way in the past, except her case.

She cited a price guarantee scheme (of the Democrat government) which the NACC took more than four years, financial institution collapse case, and the police station construction case which made no progress.

In addition, she also accused the NACC of being biased when it selected only persons who were hostile to her to testify while suspending the rights if other witnesses to give testimony.

The NACC was quick to indict her in the rice scheme without waiting for the outcome of the rice stock checks despite that it lack has did patched officials to join the stock checks, she said.

She again said the rice-pledging scheme was a national level policy in which the prime minister is merely a supervisor, while implementation of the scheme was at the operational level undertaken by various government agencies with transparent procedure at all steps that could be verifiable.

Accusations against her were all received from one side, she said.

She claimed that the past press conferences held by the NACC have convinced her that she was not involved with the scheme, thus making her to lose attention to use these issues to defend herself. Instead all these issues were then used by the NACC to tackle her on the rice scheme.

In close, Ms Yingluck said she would not run away as her travel abroad was planned in advance, and has clear schedules of departure and arrival.

She then pleaded that “I’m a full citizen and should deserve to be treated as a normal Thai citizen. I affirm here that I will not leave my country folks and is ready to return to Thailand.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-slams-graft-buster/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-18

want to reassure you that I will not abandon my fellow Thais and I'm ready to come back to Thailand," she said.

She just didnt say "when"....whistling.gif

come to think of it didnt the goat herder say something similar while sitting in Dubai ?

This situation is kinda a win-win for the NCPO, if she goes and doesn't return she will be found guilty in absentia on one or many of the present and future charges she faces and will face and the current rulers will have deleted another one of the Shinawatra brood from this land of smiles. If she returns (and she could, I will say one thing for Yingee she has shown more spine than her older male clone) then the leaders will have the satisfaction of putting one of the Shin family members through the justice system and finding her (undoubtedly) guilty. And if this scenario occurs IMHO she'll get some type of pardon. Shrewd move by the NCPO all round.

• Like 2

"Thailand's deposed former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday ruled out going into self-exile to avoid possible criminal charges, after the country's junta gave her permission to travel overseas."

Well of course not. Even with her brother's vast fortune, the family doesn't have enough money to pack up and ship her entire wardrobe out of the country. No way is she going to leave even one pair of her Christian Louboutin shoes or handbag behind. clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

Edited by jaltsc

The precedent has already been set by her brother . . . refuse her permission to leave until this <deleted> mess they created is sorted out and the embezzled monies returned.

The 'softer' option is the one being taken.

Let her leave - be seen, on the record to let her leave - no hard feelings, pander to her flock.

NCPO score all the points by her peaceful and supported departure.

Behind the scenes, make it clear to her that she should "not" return. Problem solved. Another Shinawatra out of the front-line of public (censored) news.

Out of sight, out of mind. A year is a long time in politics.

Of course, I may be wrong. We may see equivalent news headlines heralding her return to Thai soil. I wait to read this and be proven wrong.

In a press conference today, Yingluck questioned the justice system undertaken by the NACC if it meets international standards, citing the rush in inquiry process which took a mere 21 days and another 140 days in indictment procedure.

In essence she is saying: The NACC is not my father.

• Like 1

The NCPO will not have true credibility until some of the top corruption bosses are actually dealt with by severe sentences which are carried out accordingly & not allowed to drag on for years through the courts or allowing those charged &/or convicted to travel.

Yes! Because tampering with the courts is the only way Thailand will gain any credibility.

If only the moronic junta would listen to The Official Thai Visa Railroading and Kangaroo Justice Committee and put some spine into this country! The very idea of an independent court system is ridiculous.

In essence she is saying: The NACC is not my father.

And she is telling the same lies again too, as the NACC started its inquiry about the rice 'scheme' two years before those 21 days... As heard from American attorneys: 'Lie, lie, lie, go on lying, don't stop lying, never tell the truth, some part of it might stick...'!

• Like 1