Shipping goods to USA

deepsea149

Hi,

I will be returning back to the States in the Fall. I have about 10 suitcases worth of stuff to ship back. There aren't any large items such as furniture; only small things like clothes and electronics.

What is the best way to ship these things back? Do the big shipping companies (fedex, ups, dhl) have small crates or containers, or will I have to ship out everything in smaller parcels such as a suitcase?

Maybe there other options besides the big shipping companies???

Any advice will be appreciated.

UPS , Fed EX and I think DHL all have special 25kg boxes at a fixed rate , last I checked it was 6-7000 baht per box

They supply the box you must use and it takes less than a week to arrive,

The post has surface mail , cheaper and SLOW , 10 weeks to the West Coast a few months ago

it might be cheaper to take it on the plane ! not sure what airline but it was $150 for an extra bag of 20kg , there may be a special deal for more

and lastly there might be a place to ship a Sq meter pallet and you pick up and clear customs in the USA

let us know what you do.....

Try a good local shipping agent. You will pay by the square meter, they will crate it for you and handle the paperwork.

Average cost for shipping Thailand to Long Beach USA port:

- Ocean Freight - $101 CBM (USD)

- Container packing fee - BHT 250 CBM

- Pro rate port charges gate and lift fees - BHT150 CBM

- Packing service (for crating / weight distribution) - BHT 1250 CBM

- Customs clearance Thailand - BHT 2000

- Customs lodgement fee - BHT 200

- Bill of lading - BHT1250

- Express documents so no originals required - BHT 1250

- Handling fee - BHT 1000

- VAT on specific lines - BHT 250

- Made to measure crating - BHT 1850 CBM

- Compulsory fumigation of crating materials to USA standard with formal fumigation certificate - BHT 2000

There are also additional fees for local transport, etc.

Rough estimate for shipping 3 cubic meters about 10 large suitcases = 27,843 baht (about $850 USD)

If you go with the bigger shipping companies expect to multiply those costs by 3 to 4 times. Most will say that the shipment will arrive in 1 month - plan on 2 to 3 months.

There are also additional charges on the US side for customs clearance, etc. (not too bad, about $100 to $250 USD. Your shipment will be handled by an expediter on the US end who is named in the shipping documents. They will contact you before it arrives to sort any details that they need from you. You may also need to visit the customs office to get a stamp clearing the goods).

Make sure you pick-up your things within a week of arrival or you will pay additional storage fees on a daily basis.

Airline would be a very expensive option and how on earth would you handle that many bags???

Shipping via sea, weight does not matter, so you can ship everything for the same price.

Hope the info helps.

Aloha!

great info, but looking at my large bag I do not think it would be 3 cubic meters so the price would be less,

but then again how much of that stuff do you need in the USA ?

anything 220v 50hz will be a problem , plus things like TVs etc are so cheap in the USA

• 2 weeks later...