Angry mahout assaults elephant tusk thieves

Lite Beer

What beats me is why do these people commit such crimes for perhaps a modest sum of money knowing full well that their lives are going to be ruined if they get caught?

Surely the risks involved for these evil deeds cannot be worth it. The same applies to drug mules and other such high risk criminal acts for payments of modest sums of money.

Can someone explain the logic behind this, please?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there is little doubt that the mahouts didn't act this way out of empathy for the elephant, but because they were upset at having their property damaged.

The relation between mahouts and elephants is that of masters and slaves,

Mahouts and tusk thieves are of the same breed.

Absolutely spot on, my thoughts exactly.

It`s their livelihoods they are concerned about not the elephant`s suffering and welfare.

• Like 1

What is the point of these re-enactments? Anyone know?

I am curious.....if they act out their crime, it reinforces the idea that they are guilty, doesn't it?

Somebody that was wrongly accused would not be able to act out the crime, especially if certain details were left out ....

I suppose...

What beats me is why do these people commit such crimes for perhaps a modest sum of money knowing full well that their lives are going to be ruined if they get caught?

Surely the risks involved for these evil deeds cannot be worth it. The same applies to drug mules and other such high risk criminal acts for payments of modest sums of money.

Logic in Thailand? You are very hopeful.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Greed + Ignorance + Stupidity

• Like 2

They had to negotiate with representatives of angry crowd before they were able to leave the scene safely.

this has to be one of the times i tip my hat to the thais, they certainly do take matters into their own hands,albeit in groups.

if they were half smart they should have negotiated the safety of the 100 police in exchange for the perps, that would seem the only real justice you will find in thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In a land where the elephant has an almost iconic and revered status ( becoming forgotten ) is is good to see the mahouts showing thier feelings and these butchers can thank their lucky stars they have got the protection of the police.

In days gone by theyd have probably been under the feet of an elephant by now with chests caved in and squashed flat.

chests caved in and squashed flat. Great imagery...a gruesome word picture...just what those insensitive thieves deserve...well said...

Logic, come on now, you need something between the ears before any thinking capability is possible.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What is the point of these re-enactments? Anyone know?

Thai police justification for their salary and benefits?

Total crap.

These crime re-enactments are to make the perpetrators face up to what they have done and in some cases have to come head on with their victims. It is also a way of publicly shaming these people, the principle of losing face that to Thai people is the ultimate embarrassment.

One has to understand Thai culture and attitudes to realise the purpose of these re-enactments that obviously you do not.

Thanks for clarifying that Beetlejuice,

I've been here 12 years and all the time i thought it was just a stunt for the press or maybe to get a little more detail for the case against them. What you say makes total sense and I'll view these differently from now on.

Edited by OOLEEBER
  • Like 1

I wish I had been there. Good on them

Yes, Bravo ... assuming they captured the right bad guys ... not just for the punishment of those caught, since what they did can never be undone, but maybe anyone else thinking of doing something like this will be frightened by what happened and change his plans.

You can do this it's easy, no one ever gets caught, no one. We can help you make a fortune, we have people on the inside no need to worry, you'l be fine. And if something goes wrong we'll look after you, you can trust us for sure!!

Wait until they get to prison..... The Elephant is the National Symbol.

That's true, but why are they almost extinct in the wild....revered yes, but mainly for the money, you don't see any plans to reintroduce them to the wild.

• Like 1