Junta will steer clear of legal case against Yingluck: Prajin

Lite Beer

Junta will steer clear of legal case against Yingluck: Prajin
The Nation

30238921-01_big.jpg
Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra hit out at the National Anti-Corruption Commission at a press conference yesterday. She claimed that its handling of the rice-pledging case was biased against her.

BANGKOK: -- Former PM claims rice graft case was pursued in a discriminatory way

The junta will not intervene in the prosecution of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra - who faces a criminal charge of misconduct and negligence over the rice pledging scandal, the deputy head of the junta Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong said yesterday.

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had a clear will not to intervene in the judicial system, he said.

The national anti-graft agency decided on Thursday to submit a case to the Attorney General to indict Yingluck in the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders for negligence in countering corruption in the rice scheme.

The decision came shortly after news the former PM had sought and received permission from the junta to travel abroad next week.

Asked if the junta would change its mind because Yingluck may go to see her elder brother and former PM Thaksin in Europe, Prajin said the NCPO would not interfere with her planned trip, but would closely monitor if she complies with pre-condition set by the junta.

"It will be fine if everything goes along with the line and framework to have unity in the nation," he said.

Vicha Mahakun, a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) who oversaw the case, said his agency had no authority to block Yingluck's plan to go abroad. What the anti-graft body had to do now was file the case to the Office of the Attorney General, he said, noting that the case would be filed next week. But it was impossible to speed up and lodge the case in the two days (before she departs), he said.

At a press conference yesterday, Yingluck hit out at the NACC, alleging that its handling of the rice-pledging case discriminated against her. She questioned if the agency's enquiry process met international standards.

"It took only 21 days to notify me of the charges and within 140 days, it resolved that I'm guilty as charged - something that has never happened in other cases," she said.

She claimed the NACC chose to hear witnesses who opposed her government. The resolution was also reached without waiting for the junta's check of national rice stocks to be completed.

The former PM denied planning to escape legal prosecution over the rice pledging case, saying she planned her Europe trip long before the anti-graft agency decided to prosecute her.

In the press statement, Yingluck said the trip was personal. "I am now an ordinary person and I should have the same rights as all Thais. I hereby affirm that I will not abandon Thais and will be ready to return to Thailand," it said. The conference was held at her SC Park Hotel.

Yingluck's lawyer Pichit Chuenban said the legal team would do its best and was confident of defending her in court. They would try to bring eight other witnesses, aside from those probed by the NACC, to testify in court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Junta-will-steer-clear-of-legal-case-against-Yingl-30238921.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-19

As I expected, the Junta won't want to be seen arresting the former PM as it would look like they are taking sides.

In fact I suspect they will do anything required to prevent it as it would be a PR 'issue' internationally.

It took only 21 days to notify me of the charges

that was a slow phone call...

..., but the NACC posted the notification on their Facebook page 3 months prior and if Yingluck only had been 'friends' with NACC...

(that was a joke! They really didn't do that! But I thought it would have been funny! You know Yingluck "friends" with NACC...5555!)

It's not unusual for a criminal to lash out when they get caught and blame everyone else.

It won't do her any favours, she may well be up in court sooner than she thinks for defamation.

Especially when all the evidence piles up and is sat on the table for all to scrutinize.

In the press statement, Yingluck said the trip was personal. "I am now an ordinary person and I should have the same rights as all Thais.

No.... you have the same rights as a suspected Thai criminal, and those rights do not include skipping out of the country just before being indicted on criminal charges.

I am now 100% convinced this is all arranged with the junta to allow her to flee.... Bad decision if this is to maintain unity, she will just start stirring the crap when safely out of the country, and there goes all the unity work they have done up till now.... Not that there are any signs of unity.

She is quite correct - you may regard her as a suspected Thai criminal but the "case" against her has to be forwarded to the Supreme Administrative Court for consideration. If they accept the case she then has to be summonsed to the court. Until, or even if, that happens she has the same rights as all Thais no matter how much it upsets your notional understanding of what passes for "justice" here.

Has the gloss worn off your new junta toy already? Judging by your comments you're not impressed with the junta's progress so far.

"there goes all the unity work they have done up till now.... Not that there are any signs of unity."

• Like 1

Former-PM complains that, when she was in charge, an independent-body like the NACC didn't work to the usual Thai slow-standards ? facepalm.gif

Perhaps she should rather claim, that this is clear evidence, of an improvement which she & her administration can claim credit for ! laugh.png

But surely the NACC investigation went on for a much longer time, than she appears to remember, perhaps her lawyers weren't briefing her properly ?

Whatever, what counts is that the NACC feels they found enough evidence, of a possible case which they can forward to the appropriate authorities for possible legal action.

Which is when her hundreds of eager extra witnesses will have their day in court. Or not, should something unforseen prevent the case progressing further. wink.png

• Like 2

It's not unusual for a criminal to lash out when they get caught and blame everyone else.

It won't do her any favours, she may well be up in court sooner than she thinks for defamation.

Especially when all the evidence piles up and is sat on the table for all to scrutinize.

In the press statement, Yingluck said the trip was personal. "I am now an ordinary person and I should have the same rights as all Thais.

No.... you have the same rights as a suspected Thai criminal, and those rights do not include skipping out of the country just before being indicted on criminal charges.

I am now 100% convinced this is all arranged with the junta to allow her to flee.... Bad decision if this is to maintain unity, she will just start stirring the crap when safely out of the country, and there goes all the unity work they have done up till now.... Not that there are any signs of unity.

I agree, now there will be two crooked Shins, on the run and in hiding, that have lost face and looking to cause dissent.

21 days to notify the charges... OK but the charges are the same accusations that were levelled against her and PTP Rice Pledging Scam for the past two years.

The corruption, losses, and distortion of the rice market we have witnessed is the exact corruption, losses and distortion of the rice market that was forecast by the academics, legal and industry representatives who advised the Yingluk and the PTP Government agains the scam from the day it was first announced.

• Like 1

She would have to be found guilty of a crime to curtail her travel wouldn't she?

Or under house arrest if strongly suspected of one.

Her brother on the other hand was found guilty. They are different.

It would be hard to imagine her running off like her brother. That would finish their chances of a return

forever, and their supporters.

With so much dirt hanging off them it is surprising their clan still has so much support.

• Like 1

"misconduct and negligence" would be descriptors of most politicians worldwide, wouldn't it?

Most 'misconduct and negligence' by 'most politicians worldwide' don't cause Bt. 500 billion loss to the Thai peoples or ruin the lives/livelihoods of so many rice farmers. The full extent of the damage will become more apparent over the next few rice seasons.

"It took only 21 days to notify me of the charges and within 140 days, it resolved that I'm guilty as charged - something that has never happened in other cases," she said.

And why did that never happen before??

Because PT governments before, always had ways to obstruct, and let evidence and witnesses disappear.

But not this time

• Like 1

The noose is already around her neck. She knows it. I think that her brother will convince her to keep delaying her return to Thailand, with the usual excuses of illness, the need for prolonged medical attention, etc. She'll then stay in Dubai until the next elections, hoping that the next of Thaksin's proxy parties will win. If it wins, then her case will be delayed ad infinitum.

• Like 1

I think the junta will not mind at all, if she takes the gap. They don't want another Aung San Suu Kyi on their hands. Since she is under martial law restictions, they will freeze her assets, if she doesn't report back on time. But she must have millions salted away overseas from her share of the rice pledging and other scams, so she might not be too bothered.

It is only a matter of whether she goes now when she is sure she can or after her indictment when she might not be able to any more. Big Bro will be assuring her that all will be well because he will fix things and win big in the next election.

Edited by Dogmatix

Her claim for the timeframe is questionable.

If it is accurate and it '...has never happened in other cases', perhaps she needs to start pooping her pants.

The evidence may be so overwhelming they didn't need much time to put together a case that demonstrates how inept, corrupt and guilty she is.

See you in court sweetheart - wear something nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

not a single thing has been proven against her or her cabinet. Were there some poor policy choices ??? YES.

was there blatant corruption all through the cabinet including yingluck. Well , not according to the asset check

that some are not required to have.When making policy people should know that,

You can please some of the people some of the time and

most of the people most of the time,

but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

Something most, if not all western governments understand and the current power will soon find out as time moves forward.

I would put out bets that she will come back , but i will probably be arrested so i won't. but my 50 cents says she will.

All evidence are against her....... Now she must to accept the sentence and stop to cry like a children

Amalgam of very powerful people is against her and wanted to rid all Shinawatras; so they can win the election and have control of country wealth. That's the fact and sorry to say, Yingluck don't stand a chance. Prayuth can feel some sympathy for her but know there is nothing he can do. The timing of the NACC decision to refer the charges to OAG and approval to travel abroad seem well scheduled.

To just get away with misfeasance, she has to show that, as PM and Chairperson of the country's Rice Committee, she knew nothing about the losses from the rice scheme. That means she didn't even know about her own government's report (Supa's report) about the large losses after the first two harvests.

Seriously?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"misconduct and negligence" would be descriptors of most politicians worldwide, wouldn't it?

Most 'misconduct and negligence' by 'most politicians worldwide' don't cause Bt. 500 billion loss to the Thai peoples or ruin the lives/livelihoods of so many rice farmers. The full extent of the damage will become more apparent over the next few rice seasons.

Compared to massive bailout of financial sector as in "Too Big to Fail", this is small peanuts. And then there is the war in Iraq also seems to fit criteria. Grabs of Crimea and Eastern Ukraine also might constitute misconduct. just a couple examples

That is some compelling information. but we are talking about Thailand,Yingluck, and her ongoing Scandal.

Just encase you forgot what the topic is.

My points are several: 1. She was removed from office for several reasons, including idea that parliament should be all elected, a big threat to army and other old line elites. In othere words, have a democracy 2. Other trumped up charges included supposed nepotism (some ex of cousins or whatever) for wanting to appoint to some office. JFK had brother as Attorney General in USA and no one impeached him for that. The charges are weak. Sure red shirts screw up, as do old line elite (just more used to it). There is a remedy for that: it is called elections, as in vote them out. Funny how the money that was blocked for farmers so quickly appeared after she was deposed. She was out maneuvered by Suthep's buddies who got parliament dissolved, which meant she couldn't pay the farmers. I agree completely that it was a stupid program. It was a great cost to Thai people which was meant to go to rural people, not typical programs that only enrich Bangkok elite at great cost to Thai people.

What difference does it make if it took 1 day,, 21 days, 140 days or 2 years for them to decide if she was guilty enough to make a criminal case? As long as their is sufficient evidence then that is all that is needed.They only needed one hard fact with proof to file a case against her. I am sure they have hundreds of facts by now all with sufficient evidence that would make them have a unanimous decision. Besides, this is only the investigation. She doesn't really need to start worrying unless the Attorney General actually makes a criminal case against her.