The Class System in Thailand?

David48

The Class System in Thailand?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How do you define the Class System in Thailand?

Does it have a Class System?

If it does, and I suspect it does, but one distinct for Thailand, unlike that in India, unlike that in the West.

Is it based …

On Money?

On Social Standing?

On Parents?

On Connections?

On Marriage/Partner?

On Job?

On Salary?

On Personal Wealth? (different from Money)

… or is it essentially a Classless Society?

What is Thailands unique mix?

In the Poll you can rate one only or as many as you wish to create Thai Class as you see it.

The Poll is not Public means your vote is Private.

I don't limit the question to the Poll Topics, feel free to add others as you see them ... I just picked the obvious ones.

Nice to keep the Trolls quiet for a while ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a class system, a person born a peasant will always be a peasant. In the context of royalty, one must be born into it. That's as far as a system goes in Thailand. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd call it a class system so much as class awareness which can involve social standing (which in turn might rely on position, connections, money), money, education, etc.

In Thailand, a person can be born into a peasant family, but by good fortune has brains and gets a good education, a good job, and money in the bank, and is no longer a peasant but has social standing.

• Like 1

It is a combination of those choices. I know it would be difficult if not impossible to allow weightings. This is probably true in most cultures that it is a combination of factors. If you can find it, the book "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System" by Paul Fussell is a fun read.

• Like 1

Easy - some have it, some don't. You'll know if you have it cause the security guard and parking attendants wai twice... smile.png

Yes to a great extent you are right ,its the same in the UK i have known some very" classy" people who do not have a lot of money but have class, its very similar here in Thailand although money helps! the differance is that if you do have class people tend to respect you ,if its just money but your a knob they just pretend to respect you.

Yes Thailand has a class system.

*satire*

I don't have it.

In general Americans have no class.. same as Ozzies (faulty Brits), but the Brits are famous for their class especially the their football supporters. They are world famous.

*satire*

• Like 1

My 5 years living here says the "class system" is solely based on how much money you have, but it's important where that money came from and the job you hold or business you own. High level government jobs, especially police, military and high level politicians are some of the highest in the system and then successful business people.

It's a sick, disgusting system and is hugely responsible for a dysfunctional government built on corruption.

Yes. A drug baron may have a degree of status due to his wealth, but to most Thais people he does not have high class.

Same for a lottery winner.

It's the way one walks, talks and generally expresses oneself. That shows your class and that's what opens doors. Being a member of the Aristocracy is completely different.

• Like 1

There is a ton of literature on this topic from reputable sources. Why you would poll the silly old gits on TV is beyond me, unless you are seeking to calibrate the views of some of the least informed pple in the kingdom.coffee1.gif

Major research validity problem!! But may be worth a laughwhistling.gif

Maybe just for entertainment?

Reading TV is the same as reading The Sun. Given the latest football hotties thread it's probably closer to the Sunday Sport. A bit of banter with the occasional splash of factual information.

Ether way back to the topic. I'd guess Issan people are the chavs of Thailand, in my experienced (married to one, and lived among them for a time). It's been a while but on the train yesterday towards Cambodia there was an issan family travelling sitting behind us, what a messy bunch with no decorum, the 'mum' wouldn't shut the <deleted> up for the whole journey, no control over the volume of her voice and just chatted what was no doubt a heap of <deleted> for the entire trip disturbing everyone.

There are defiantly some classy Thais around. As someone else noted, in Thailand it could be linked to the class system in the UK (where you don't need money to be classy). Because I think it's only the lowest classes in Thailand, the chavvy Thais with their gold chains and loud mouths who actually respect those with money. The classier Bangkok Thais with some decorum about them wouldn't respect any of these chavs that have come into money through corruption and violence. All down to a good education and a good family upbringing, old family money and ties to aristocracy as noted by someone else before is another story

• Like 1

In a class system, a person born a peasant will always be a peasant. ...

What about a Thai Family ... three sisters, born not that far apart in terms of years.

Sister 1 stays on the Farm and harvests the rice ... just as the generations before her did.

Sister 2 seeks her fame and fortune in Pattaya, makes a shit load of money ... does her 'class' change from that of the sister who stayed on the Farm?

Sister 3 is sent to University, obtains her degree, moves from the Farm to Bangkok, earns a good wage and her presence doesn't reflect the tanned skin of working the fields, nor the qualities of the 'working girl'.

She then goes onto to marry a Dentist, lives in a very nice house, drives a Benz ... has she 'shifted' Class?

• Like 2

There is a ton of literature on this topic from reputable sources. Why you would poll the silly old gits on TV is beyond me, unless you are seeking to calibrate the views of some of the least informed pple in the kingdom.coffee1.gif

Major research validity problem!! But may be worth a laughwhistling.gif

Why? ... why not?

That 'ton of literature' is most likely written by Thais.

We have our own opnions.

Research? ... definately not !

Fun? ... I hope so.

No class to move from.

Yesterday I was talking to a supposed Thai hi so, educated in England and fully unaware of British class!

Always tries to impress me, shoes made to order in England, do I want Cuban cigars, which whiskey should he drink.

Me in my shorts and flip flops; I suppose I must have class!

You have it or not, but you cannot buy it!

• Like 1

Reading TV is the same as reading The Sun. Given the latest football hotties thread it's probably closer to the Sunday Sport. A bit of banter with the occasional splash of factual information.

That latest football hotties thread took me ages to put together.

I hope you voted ... w00t.gif ... some of those girls are in a class of their own.

Edited by David48

a class system : deny a certain amount of people the right to basic right : a home (not in your name) , a job (not without all the hastle), and the freedom to stay with your family (not without the yearly begging and 90 day report to jail officer)

keep the poor, poor

and keep the rich in position

how many super rich thai do you see give away half of their wealth to good organisations ?

Edited by belg

a class system : deny a certain amount of people the right to basic right : a home (not in your name) , a job (not without all the hastle), and the freedom to stay with your family (not without the yearly begging and 90 day report to jail officer)

keep the poor, poor

and keep the rich in position

how many super rich thai do you see give away half of their wealth to good organisations ?

I don't care, I have class!

"could be linked to the class system in the UK (where you don't need money to be classy)" Grindting.

Absolutely Not linked to, but similar to, for historical reasons, e.g. historical points system for different classes mandating differential legal treatment for killing, raping, harming different people and other crimes (depending on who was the perpetrator and who was the victim - decided by their social standing - lose points), tax, each other, etc., Massive numbers of slaves, esp in Bkk, in 19th century acc to foreign ambassadors of the time, who by definition were excluded from access to rights, etc. Where do you think their descendants are now??

British ambassador (1930s) commented eloquently on the Thai class system as being one where (paraphrasing): "everyone is supine to someone else". He also noted the complete indifference of Bkk to the provinces

A bit of real history reading will explain the class system, including the treatment of the red bull heir, the old couple in gaol for collecting mushrooms, miss thailand aspirant calling for the extermination of 'dirty people', inability to conduct itself as a mature polity (i.e. without disruption and killing each other), the ferocity and self righteousness of certain powerful groups.

• Like 2

What about a Thai Family ... three sisters, born not that far apart in terms of years.

Sister 1 stays on the Farm and harvests the rice ... just as the generations before her did.

Sister 2 seeks her fame and fortune in Pattaya, makes a shit load of money ... does her 'class' change from that of the sister who stayed on the Farm?

Sister 3 is sent to University, obtains her degree, moves from the Farm to Bangkok, earns a good wage and her presence doesn't reflect the tanned skin of working the fields, nor the qualities of the 'working girl'.

She then goes onto to marry a Dentist, lives in a very nice house, drives a Benz ... has she 'shifted' Class?

You didn't read my entire post, did you? If you had, you wouldn't have picked the one sentence and wouldn't have asked those questions.

No.

Driving a 'Benz' confirms that.

Like all the other imaginationless, classless wannabes driving them here.

xenophon is close; school of 20 or whatever when army or civil servants are mentioned.

British, school tie almost dead , but Eton lives on!

Connections perhaps, but just being classy counts.

Oh and white skin, I have that!

You didn't read my entire post, did you? If you had, you wouldn't have picked the one sentence and wouldn't have asked those questions.

Umm ...

Firstly, I read your stuff, you're one of the quality posters here.

Secondly, I'm the OP, you made an interesting post, I picked up one part of it, expanded of it and then raised my question.

My thoughts aren't directed at you ... they are just to open up the discussion.

"no class" is a class.... something like "untouchables". Americans (some) love to pretend their is no class system there. Yeah, right (I am American, btw). Also don't get panties in a knot if some underling doesn't Wai. They are probably so sick of it, being on bottom of the heap, that we may be seen as group that it is okay not to Wai as we may not notice. Consider it like a mini coffee break. Wai knot?

It is a combination of those choices. I know it would be difficult if not impossible to allow weightings. This is probably true in most cultures that it is a combination of factors. If you can find it, the book "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System" by Paul Fussell is a fun read.

Fussell a great writer..if you don't get on with Class try 'Abroad'