Can anyone explain the anti-American sentiment to me?

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO maybe no way to figure this out but did it exist before WWII or only after? Seems like some of it comes from the fact that the people who came to the US were either the nutcases, the dreamers, broke/desperate, or in some cases slave traders/bad men.

Also have heard it some from Chinese but primarily party-indoctrinated ones (which is total hypocrisy seeing how many of their own they killed), the normal day-to-day ones nearly always responded positively, Thai friends said they like US because we're "respectful", but right across the border in Toronto I get the anti-american sentiment strong. Not sure it's just joking from them or from many europeans/down unders, strange as I do not hold Ch. or Russians individually responsible for what I dislike about their gov't, actually seems backstabbing to do so.

Speaking of which, it's time to pop another coldy.

Hehe, I said, "pop".

Edited by squarethecircle

I have been to the State 100's of times, never had a problem, like the people love the place....

Shopping is Brill...

Haven't been there 100's of times, but enough to know that I haven't had any problems with the American's I've met.

SO maybe no way to figure this out but did it exist before WWII or only after? Seems like some of it comes from the fact that the people who came to the US were either the nutcases, the dreamers, broke/desperate, or in some cases slave traders/bad men.

Also have heard it some from Chinese but primarily party-indoctrinated ones (which is total hypocrisy seeing how many of their own they killed), the normal day-to-day ones nearly always responded positively, Thai friends said they like US because we're "respectful", but right across the border in Toronto I get the anti-american sentiment strong. Not sure it's just joking from them or from many europeans/down unders, strange as I do not hold Ch. or Russians individually responsible for what I dislike about their gov't, actually seems backstabbing to do so.

Speaking of which, it's time to pop another coldy.

Hehe, I said, "pop".

Some people just attract the nutters.

I saw a movie recently where the protagonist sneared "You Americans are so arrogant!" That seems to me to be a glass half full / half empty kind of thing. Some call us arrogant and some call us self assured and confident.

I've noticed more hate towards Russians than Yanks, but here I'll say it straight and without BS:

Nobody likes the noisy <deleted> that don't mind their own business.

As for the French:

Nobody likes those <deleted> either. :D

On a serious note it's wrong to hate people for their government's actions, and you guessed it right, it's US foreign policy that is the problem.

I've worked with and met a lot of Yanks and most are good folks, sure some are a**holes, but I've also met quite a few a**holes French, Canadians, Russians, etc...

• Like 1

Some call us arrogant and some call us self assured and confident.

I'd say many are overconfident and as a result full of it.

And some attempt to compensate for their own self esteem issues by ridiculing others....just saying.

4-5 years ago I was sitting in a gogo bar drinking beer and watching girls, it was a little too early so I was there 1st. The next guy to walk in was a young american from Texas, the country boy. He was good to chat with until more folks came, then he because loud and proud and couldn't shut it talking about his guns.

When he went for a piss, a young frenchman came over to my table and told me this: "your friend is an <deleted>", after which he proceeded to teach me about Thai girls, lol. I didn't say anything and kept drinking my beer, was glad when he was gone as he was reeking with sweat and booze, like he was partying one week straight.

Honestly preferred talking more to the Yank before more people showed up, but wouldn't have either of them as close friends, both were <deleted>.

I don't believe there is that much anti-American sentiment about, no more or less so than anti-any other nationality. I think most of us get along well with Americans, I just wish they wouldn't talk so loudly, everyone of them it seems and everywhere they go!

I've found the same thing. Sit down to a nice quiet meal with a Thai friend, and a group of Americans walk in. They don't just talk, they sound as though they're talking to someone across the room!

I have often had to up plates and move further away. I know Aussies can get way too loud when they've got a few beers under the belt, but in a restaurant? fair go guys!!

Haha, exact same experience I just described!

The problem with Americans is that when you start taking the piss out of them they think you're being serious laugh.png

The problem with most Yanks is, they dont have a sense of humour, have you ever watched Yank comedy shows, utter crap.

Gawd I love NY, every one there is a NYorker not a Yank.

• Like 1