Bit of a disaster. Need help ASAP

Long story short.

I was photocopying my daughters birth cert ready for my return doing 28/28 . I looked at the recent translation we had done. It says I' m Dutch and reside in Holland!!!!

I'm from Scotland and resided in troon at the time.

I fly back to work tomorrow so nothing can be done now.

My daughter was 6 in June and we had her registered in Pattaya

Ermmmmm.

Help? Edited by Franky Bear

Are you married? If so, have the mother contact the amphur to sort it out. Otherwise have her make a statement in Thai in which you authorize her to make a change.

The BC itself will not be changed, you should get a letter in which the change is explained and the correct info will be entered in the database. But the BC itself will not be changed.

If you are married to the mother it is not a very big deal that needs to be taken care of right now, as no matter who is on the BC by law you are the legal father of the child.

• Like 1

From reading this forum, the way it's done in Thailand is that the Amphur will issue an additional "certificate" documenting the material error.

Not an amended certificate.

• Like 1

I can feel the sniggers coming through my IPad right now haha

This is a fuck up. And I'm glad I spied it now as imagine I came back into Thailand in 6 weeks and tried to use it as proof I am my daughters father!!!
  • Like 1

I can feel the sniggers coming through my IPad right now haha

This is a <deleted> up. And I'm glad I spied it now as imagine I came back into Thailand in 6 weeks and tried to use it as proof I am my daughters father!!!

I'm not laughing mate.

Not easy when we can't read Thai. Me included.

Best of luck, and I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

• Like 2

Thanks lads. I am NOT married. Been with her 8 years. The weird thing is we got my daughter both her Thai and British passports.

Are you sure it isn't your current translation that is wrong?

I said above mate. Both my Mrs and step daughter who's a smart kid said it says I'm Dutch and reside in Holland

You should check and make sure is is the Birth Certificate that is wrong and not the translation.

Read thread - OP is being told that by two very reliable native Thai speakers.

I had the same problem.  My son's birth certificate had me listed as British (I'm Canadian, although I have been to Britain laugh.png ).  I had a translation done as soon as the birth certificate was issued as I cannot read Thai and overseas embassies usually want a certified translation, not to mention Canada, as I applied immediately for Canadian citizenship for my son.

Solution, sent the wife back to have the birth certificate corrected, which was done.  Then I had a new translation certified.

How they got it wrong in the first place baffles me, as the wife had a copy of my (Canadian) passport.  Then she did not notice it was wrong on the Thai version of the birth certificate, it wasn't until I saw the translation that the error surfaced.  TiT.

Thais aren't much into the details, I guess.

Edited by WhizBang

Are you married? If so, have the mother contact the amphur to sort it out. Otherwise have her make a statement in Thai in which you authorize her to make a change.

The BC itself will not be changed, you should get a letter in which the change is explained and the correct info will be entered in the database. But the BC itself will not be changed.

If you are married to the mother it is not a very big deal that needs to be taken care of right now, as no matter who is on the BC by law you are the legal father of the child.

A new birth certificate (no letter) will be generated, with the changes annotated.  I had the same problem 9 years ago.

I had the same problem.  My son's birth certificate had me listed as British (I'm Canadian, although I have been to Britain laugh.png ).  I had a translation done as soon as the birth certificate was issued as I cannot read Thai and overseas embassies usually want a certified translation, not to mention Canada, as I applied immediately for Canadian citizenship for my son.

Solution, sent the wife back to have the birth certificate corrected, which was done.  Then I had a new translation certified.

How they got it wrong in the first place baffles me, as the wife had a copy of my (Canadian) passport.  Then she did not notice it was wrong on the Thai version of the birth certificate, it wasn't until I saw the translation that the error surfaced.  TiT.

Thais aren't much into the details, I guess.

Cheers mate

Thanks lads. I am NOT married. Been with her 8 years. The weird thing is we got my daughter both her Thai and British passports.

I dont think the UK would issue a PP to a Dutch/Thai national so the translation must be wrong. When applying for the UK passport, I was under the impression that you would need the Thai birth cert translated to English anyway?...be nice if shes tri nationalitysmile.png

• Like 1

My wifes birth certificate had a mistake. They just corrected it on the original paper, signed and stamped the correction and that was it. The translation also shows the mistake and correction. Never had a problem with it.

My sons birth certificate has 2 mistakes. The ages of my wife and me are both wrong, both on the original and the translation. Never had a problem with in.
  • Like 1

Mistakes are made - this is why you check.

One time I renewed my daughter's passport at the Embassy, and the new passport said she was a boy. Not sure how the mistake was made as they had the old passport and her name is definitely a girl's name, not something like Lesley which is ambiguous.

The best thing was - while it was a week's wait for the first passport (because "that's how long passport's take"), the replacement to correctly say she was a girl was next day.

That's one thing I'm worried about with the switch to do all passports from the UK - They seem to be taking a ridiculous amount of time to produce the first passport, and if there's a mistake on it, I'm pretty sure you won't get a correction next day any more...

Nothing changes. The BC for my son, now 34 years old, born of my Thai wife and me, a British National, indicated me as a Thai male but with my name correctly shown. That was simply changed at the local Amphur by crossing out and entering 'British' in manuscript and applying the rubber stamp. No problems 32 years later getting him a Thai ID card and PP although I appreciate that the qualification is Thai mother.

Just one thing, did you check the original Thai certificate says you are Dutch or is just the translation wrong because of a dumb translator?

... Feel free to forget it, I just read the replies.

PS: Why the hell I reply first and read later?

Edited by Urloc