Multi-region Dvd Player

BlueScouse

Not generally available. It is part of the licencing for use of the DVD intelectual property.

Better to have DVD's with the region info removed.You can create back-up copies of your DVD's with the region info removed. This may not help with some of the "better" brands because they will not play those DVD's too. The region thing is supposed to prevent piracy.

Not generally available. It is part of the licencing for use of the DVD intelectual property.

Better to have DVD's with the region info removed.You can create back-up copies of your DVD's with the region info removed. This may not help with some of the "better" brands because they will not play those DVD's too. The region thing is supposed to prevent piracy.

Easy way to do it, is select a model which you like, go on the net & do a search for DVD codes, there are numerous sites which gives the codes to turn your DVD into multi region via the remote control

My father sends me DVDs from England, usually TV programs I want to see. The player I had wouldn't play them, although the sound came through OK.

I looked on the net for a DVD player that could be changed to be multi-region and had a good brand name and found the Philips DVP 3005.

When I tried the commands to make it multi-region, it already was set to that so I didn't have to do anything. It plays everything I have tried on it and I can recommend it. I found it at Tesco/Lotus.

I mentioned to a techy friend of mine that I wanted to buy a DVD player. I really wanted a Sony. He decided he would go with me. He drove the salesman crazy insisting on seeing the user manuals. I ended up with a JVC because the Sony, at least the one I wanted wouldn't play all the available formats. The JVC works fine and plays anything I put in it.

Note - I bought it at Tesco Lotus.

Edited by Gary A

I would recommend what another TV member recommended... just re-burn your DVDs without the region encoding. That way, the region-free DVDs will play on almost any DVD player you buy.

A typical DVD player costs about 2000-2800 baht, and should be able to play DVDs, VCDs, MP-3s, etc. I have a Philips, and my wife who lives in Korat, has a Panasonic. Both players work like a charm.

Use a software product like DVDShrink to remove region encoding, and then something like Nero to burn the new product (DVD image) to a blank DVD.

Edited by Gumballl

I would recommend what another TV member recommended... just re-burn your DVDs without the region encoding. That way, the region-free DVDs will play on almost any DVD player you buy.

A typical DVD player costs about 2000-2800 baht, and should be able to play DVDs, VCDs, MP-3s, etc. I have a Philips, and my wife who lives in Korat, has a Panasonic. Both players work like a charm.

Use a software product like DVDShrink to remove region encoding, and then something like Nero to burn the new product (DVD image) to a blank DVD.

Why go to all the bother, 90% of DVD players are multi-region out of the box.