spouse is from laos doing visa runs

OK maybe someone can help me with this, im in Thailand on a retirement visa but my partner is from laos, she does regular back to back visas, generally at the Cambodian border. Does anyone know if the current crackdown is applying to people from neighbouring countries. Or as she is from Laos would it be better to leave and enter at the Laos border.

Lao citizens get their 30 day visa exempt entries based upon a bilateral agreement with Thailand. I have seen no reports yet of the new entry rules being applied to them.

I hope you're right, as my girlfriend is from Laos, but everything I've heard suggests they will no longer be able to continuous in-out border runs - at least from 12 August.

The marriage option is difficult in Laos, as marrying is an expensive, long and very bureaucratic process (so I've been told). If the OP is married, I'd be interested to know how difficult it was to do this.

• Like 1

Lao citizens get their 30 day visa exempt entries based upon a bilateral agreement with Thailand. I have seen no reports yet of the new entry rules being applied to them.

I hope you're right, as my girlfriend is from Laos, but everything I've heard suggests they will no longer be able to continuous in-out border runs - at least from 12 August.

The marriage option is difficult in Laos, as marrying is an expensive, long and very bureaucratic process (so I've been told). If the OP is married, I'd be interested to know how difficult it was to do this.

August 12th probably means nothing in this case. It they were going to stop them they would of done it already. Thailand might not do it because there are a lot of Thai''s that are using the same entry to enter Laos.

Getting married in Laos is not easy. Most people get married here instead.

August 12th probably means nothing in this case. It they were going to stop them they would of done it already. Thailand might not do it because there are a lot of Thai''s that are using the same entry to enter Laos.

In another thread there was talk of some refusals to Lao citizens all of which are recent, so they have started. Also they were mentioned as being targeted by the stricter implementation of the laws and no Lao citizens should attempt to enter Thailand from Malaysia, especially if they have entered once or twice before, according to an immigration official at Sungai Kolok.

I doubt very many Thais would be living in Laos on back-to-back 30 day stamps but even if there are some, Laos clearly tolerates it more than Thailand so it won't necessarily be tit-for-tat unless Laos felt that it's citizens were treated disproportionately more unfriendly in Thailand than the other way round.

Again it depends on how long a Lao citizen has spent in Thailand. Coming and going every week, particularly from Laos and coming only for shopping or whatever for a day or two, driving a Lao car across the border or via the international bus - no problems, even if it's every week or every second week. If however almost no time is spent outside of Thailand - that could start to be a problem.

• Like 1

In another thread there was talk of some refusals to Lao citizens all of which are recent, so they have started. Also they were mentioned as being targeted by the stricter implementation of the laws and no Lao citizens should attempt to enter Thailand from Malaysia, especially if they have entered once or twice before, according to an immigration official at Sungai Kolok.

I doubt very many Thais would be living in Laos on back-to-back 30 day stamps but even if there are some, Laos clearly tolerates it more than Thailand so it won't necessarily be tit-for-tat unless Laos felt that it's citizens were treated disproportionately more unfriendly in Thailand than the other way round.

Again it depends on how long a Lao citizen has spent in Thailand. Coming and going every week, particularly from Laos and coming only for shopping or whatever for a day or two, driving a Lao car across the border or via the international bus - no problems, even if it's every week or every second week. If however almost no time is spent outside of Thailand - that could start to be a problem.

Reports I've had from Pattaya suggest that Laos who are "working" are are still getting their 30-day in-out stamp on border runs to Cambodia. It will be interesting to see when they start stopping it and whether they let them exit and then don't let them back in, or just give them a 7-day stamp and tell them "no more". My guess is that most will then overstay rather than return to Laos.

Reports I've had from Pattaya suggest that Laos who are "working" are are still getting their 30-day in-out stamp on border runs to Cambodia. It will be interesting to see when they start stopping it and whether they let them exit and then don't let them back in, or just give them a 7-day stamp and tell them "no more". My guess is that most will then overstay rather than return to Laos.

I am going by reports from another thread, where you also made similar comments. Quite a few posters mentioned that their Lao girlfriends/wives etc. got hassled at immigration, but got through in the end. However, it shows that increased scrutiny is being applied.

I am wondering what's so bad about heading back to Laos for some of them to consider overstaying in light of new enforcement, as you have stated.

Also, it turns out that Cambodian crossings are generally not yet refusing entry to border runners altogether, yet. If those Lao citizens were to come back from Malaysia, it would be a different story.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I am going by reports from another thread, where you also made similar comments. Quite a few posters mentioned that their Lao girlfriends/wives etc. got hassled at immigration, but got through in the end. However, it shows that increased scrutiny is being applied.

I am wondering what's so bad about heading back to Laos for some of them to consider overstaying in light of new enforcement, as you have stated.

Also, it turns out that Cambodian crossings are generally not yet refusing entry to border runners altogether, yet. If those Lao citizens were to come back from Malaysia, it would be a different story.

Yes it seems to be the Cambodian border that is still processing in-out border runs.

Most of the Lao citizens I know are working (illegally) in Pattaya and have been doing so for years. Many have Thai boyfriends/girlfriends and some have kids. They can earn good money in Thailand compared to Laos and much of it is sent back to their families in Laos.

If the in-out stamp is no longer available, I doubt many of them will have the gumption to sort out the appropriate visa to stay, (and there's no chance that their work could be legitimised!) so they will be left with the choice of overstaying or returning home. They might have the option of monthly visits, that is entering Thailand from Laos, rather than an in-out border run, but I would think once the officer sees their stamps they will be refused. If they return home for good, they will be seriously out of pocket as the level of income they can get in Thailand bears no comparison to what they can earn in Laos. Many have been overstaying for years anyway as many Laos don't even have a passport and entered on a Visitor's Pass. The penalty for Laos for overstaying was a small fine (2,000 baht) and a few nights in the detention centre if they were caught, rather than just returning home. That might change with the new rules, but I doubt it. For most it will be a risk well worth taking.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

I am hearing stories of Laotians being denied entry back into Thailand at the moment.

To be honest, I don't know what kind of visas they are travelling on or under what circumstances they are being denied entry.

As for getting married to Laotians, it isn't difficult to do yourself, it's almost impossible!! Unless you are fluent in Laos, living in Laos, know how to offer tea money in the correct manner and to the correct person and have the patience of a saint.

There is a much more simple way to do this however. You pay 3000 USD and it is done in a few weeks.

I have no idea how this affects Laotian's visa to stay in Thailand.

• Like 2

I am hearing stories of Laotians being denied entry back into Thailand at the moment.

To be honest, I don't know what kind of visas they are travelling on or under what circumstances they are being denied entry.

As for getting married to Laotians, it isn't difficult to do yourself, it's almost impossible!! Unless you are fluent in Laos, living in Laos, know how to offer tea money in the correct manner and to the correct person and have the patience of a saint.

There is a much more simple way to do this however. You pay 3000 USD and it is done in a few weeks.

I guess if you marry a Lao then she can stay with you in Thailand as your dependant/wife, assuming you have the legal right to live in Thailand (i.e. a work permit or retirement extension)?

I'd be interested in how to go along the 3,000 USD marriage route - maybe you could PM me!

I know of a laos lady who does the same back to back visa runs to cambodia & have been doing same for 3 years she works here illegally and has been fined once 5000 baht in the time of being here so.i cant see that immo will stop the back to back runs.

As was reported to me that several bus loads of laos women were spotted at the cambodian border by a friend more likely doing the same as the lady i talk of,will,they take work away from these people and give back to the thais hmm..'.

I guess if you marry a Lao then she can stay with you in Thailand as your dependant/wife, assuming you have the legal right to live in Thailand (i.e. a work permit or retirement extension)?

I'd be interested in how to go along the 3,000 USD marriage route - maybe you could PM me!

PM sent

• Like 1

Dear Ubonjoe,

I actually joined this forum just to help you in your matter. Im a malaysian that just got all my paperwork done in ventiane within less than 2 months and for a cost of a about USD1800.

We actually paid someone off in the ministry of foreign affairs here in ventiane. She paid only USD 625 to get all the paperwork verified. But of coz before that she has to go back to her hometown to get her single status letter and than to the police station to get her birth certificate.

I was very lucky to get a contact that helped us of coz for money but it was so so fast and cheap...

Hey guys,

its really easy, fast and cheap to get married in laos if you have the right contact which i was lucky to get. I just got all the marriage paperwork done, of coz my laos gf had to do it...it got done in less than 2 months and cost not more than USD 1800. The main and foremost important contact is the officials in the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs in Ventiane...they are the bottom line. Im willing to share...we paid him RM2000 which is USD 625...PM me

PM sent

Hey Guys,

Im taz from Malaysia and i joined this forum to help all those that are having trouble marrying their Laos sweethearts.

My gf recently completed all her needed paperwork for our marriage here in Malaysia. It only took her less than 2 months and cost less than USD 2K.

The main thing is to get an official from the Foreign Ministry of Ventiane to help...that is what we did or actually what we paid him to do. He asked for RM2000 which is USD 625 to verify and translate all the documentation which he did in 1 week.

All your gf needs is your her single status letter and birth certificate issued by her head of village and than proceed to her local police station for approval.

What is needed from your side is (Which you will need to pass to her is)

1. pasport
  2. single status letter
  3. proof of income (bank statement)
  4. 6 copies of 4R full length photos
  5. A letter (self made) which is a marriage application
  6. A letter with your personal detail (self made)
  7. A letter of approval for you to marry her from your parents ( i know this is stupid but its their law) just make it up and sign it yourself they never ever check to verify any documentstrust me! its just a formality sake....

than all your document have to be translated to english...easily done there! than she takes all your document and hers to the Foreign Ministry in Ventiane.That when they will <deleted> you to glory and say this and that is wrong and it could take up months. Than you pay the <deleted> and before you know it your gf is collecting the documentation and visa from your embassy...i did it guys...my gf just came back 2 days ago...you guys want the guy in the foreign ministry that helped us...i will get his info for you. Just dont want this laos <deleted> to push us around thats all...cheers

• Like 1

Both my parents are dead, so I will have to skip #7!

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry to hear that bro! yes you still make a document stating both your parents names and your current address...but say that they have deceased. Anyways my email address is ***************

Email me if you need samples of how to prepare the documentation.I can help youby sending what i did for myself few months back. Cheers

taz...

Edit:

email adress removed per forum rules to prevent spam. Use PM to exchnage info or email adresses.

Edited by Mario2008

I think the main problem with Lao ladies is that immigration knows or suspects most of them are working illegally. As I understand those with passport can still do the 30 route and in some cases their 'employer' does a 'guarantee' for them. No, I don't know anymore. Those that were coming and going on the 3 day ID pass are pretty well screwed. Ah, wrong word, they have gone home in the most part.

Reports from Pattaya ??

Who from ? The blokes lounging in the bars, half pissed and the self confessed Oracle of all ?

Or the geezer sweeping the streets in the morning or a motorcycle taxi driver or maybe even the Cambodian woman holding the baby and begging in the streets.

All experts of course.

Reports from Pattaya ??

Who from ? The blokes lounging in the bars, half pissed and the self confessed Oracle of all ?

Or the geezer sweeping the streets in the morning or a motorcycle taxi driver or maybe even the Cambodian woman holding the baby and begging in the streets.

All experts of course.

No. Reports from my Lao friends.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Getting married in Laos is not easy. Most people get married here instead."

I heard that the problem is the Lao Embassy normally won't give the paperwork needed for them to get married here.

That's what I've heard too.

One does not have to get married in either Thailand or Laos. There are other countries, even in the neighbourhood, where it is much easier.

"Getting married in Laos is not easy. Most people get married here instead."

I heard that the problem is the Lao Embassy normally won't give the paperwork needed for them to get married here.

That's what I've heard too.

One does not have to get married in either Thailand or Laos. There are other countries, even in the neighbourhood, where it is much easier.

Don't you still need an "affirmation to marry" (or equivalent) which is only available from the Lao authorities?

The two border check points close to Bangkok and Pattaya, Ban Laem and Ban Pakkard still stamp 30 days visa exemption into Laos passports.

The check point to Mynamar,Phu Nam Ron, is closed for Laotian.

Any idea if this will continue after 12 August?

The two border check points close to Bangkok and Pattaya, Ban Laem and Ban Pakkard still stamp 30 days visa exemption into Laos passports.

Nobody can answer that question with any certainty other than perhaps some high level immigration officer.

August 12th is the target to date for the official rules regarding the on going tightening of out/in visa exempt entries to go into effect.

If it only mentions visa exempt entries under the existing ministerial regulation that allows them then those that get them from bilateral agreements would not fall under them.

Nobody can answer that question with any certainty other than perhaps some high level immigration officer.

August 12th is the target to date for the official rules regarding the on going tightening of out/in visa exempt entries to go into effect.

If it only mentions visa exempt entries under the existing ministerial regulation that allows them then those that get them from bilateral agreements would not fall under them.

Interesting. My Lao girlfriend needs to do her next Pattaya-Cambodia border run on 16 August. I'll report back here!