returning to Thailand after being deported 2 ago for lost passport

This is the real problem here in Thailand,,,,,There is no set rule for anything,,,,,any immigration office and officer has got a rough guide and from there on they add there own rules,,,You are never 100% sure,

you obviously have never travelled much, the "real problem" you atrribute to Thailand, is the same as any country as regards immigration officers, as they are allowed quite broad discretionary powers as to whom they allow into a country, so please stop trying to infer this only occurs in Thailand.

I travel extensively, all across Europe, UK, America et al, and this meme you repeat about how 'all countries are the same', is simply not true. I wish people would stop repeating it here. Thailand (particularly now) is very different from most other countries. The US and UK are both extremely paranoid and rough on visitors, but even they would never demand cash from people before letting a visitor exit. That amounts to organized extortion.

For Schengen region countires (all of Europe) there is never an overstay fine - except in very (very) rare cased where one has done something extreme, like an obvious attempt to take advantage of social welfare benefits over years, perhaps. Also, an American or British visitor receives an automatic 90 days without any fee, with complete freedom of movement across all EU borders. There is no system in place in 'all other countries' which demands cash be handed to them at borders, for starters.

Please stop trying to defend absurd policies with comparisons which aren't factual.

Edited by John1thru10

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I overstayed 1 year after my passport was stolen then girlfriend turn me in to police then I went to court and paid my fine 750 ThB and judge told me to just get new passport and new visa and I was fine to stay.. immigration police were supposed to take me to my Embassy but instead took me to IDC and I met my embassy people there and arranged new passport and ticket home from there

This gives a whole new dimension to your story. You did not overstay due to your lost passport and by no stretch of imagination will any authority accept this. You overstayed for a year and were apprehended after the girlfriend ratted you out to police. Is that what you are saying? If you reported immediately after your passport was stolen and applied for a new or temporary travel documents from your embassy, this would not have happened.

750 000 Baht or 750 baht? both is bullshit

Hang on, with the overstay I had in the past, is it correct that it's about the date for the validity of the visa, not about missing some 90 day exits (a lesser offence)? In that case I didn't overstay over a year as I thought previously, though still a while, I must admit.

This is the real problem here in Thailand,,,,,There is no set rule for anything,,,,,any immigration office and officer has got a rough guide and from there on they add there own rules,,,You are never 100% sure,

you obviously have never travelled much, the "real problem" you atrribute to Thailand, is the same as any country as regards immigration officers, as they are allowed quite broad discretionary powers as to whom they allow into a country, so please stop trying to infer this only occurs in Thailand.

I travel extensively, all across Europe, UK, America et al, and this meme you repeat about how 'all countries are the same', is simply not true. I wish people would stop repeating it here. Thailand (particularly now) is very different from most other countries. The US and UK are both extremely paranoid and rough on visitors, but even they would never demand cash from people before letting a visitor exit. That amounts to organized extortion.

For Schengen region countires (all of Europe) there is never an overstay fine - except in very (very) rare cased where one has done something extreme, like an obvious attempt to take advantage of social welfare benefits over years, perhaps. Also, an American or British visitor receives an automatic 90 days without any fee, with complete freedom of movement across all EU borders. There is no system in place in 'all other countries' which demands cash be handed to them at borders, for starters.

Please stop trying to defend absurd policies with comparisons which aren't factual.

Why are you bleating on about overstaying and fee's go back and read the posters (Doc46) comments, this is about getting into a country not getting out

immigration officials have the same discrentionary powers in all countries about who they let in and Thailand is no different in his regard

so please stop going off topic, and try in future to post something which is actually related to the comment being discussed, oh high flying international traveller, before going off on a little diatribe...wink.png

Why are you bleating on about overstaying and fee's go back and read the posters (Doc46) comments, this is about getting into a country not getting out

immigration officials have the same discrentionary powers in all countries about who they let in and Thailand is no different in his regard

so please stop going off topic, and try in future to post something which is actually related to the comment being discussed, oh high flying international traveller, before going off on a little diatribe...wink.png

As far as I am aware, Immigration officers in Australia have no discretionary powers at all. They MUST follow precisely all of the policies and procedures that are issued by the Department of Immigration. Is this really the same in Thailand? My sense is that, like many laws here, they can be applied selectively. Often depending on the size of donations to your favourite official.

Well herein lies the problem with Thailand. Firstly if your passport is stolen and you have reported it and applied immediately and in due time for a new one why deport the victim? If it is an issue with Thai law then why are the Embassies not helping their citizens avoid this by issuing temporary documents to allow you to do whatever necessary as if you had a passport until a new one can be issued? Lastly no one ever seems to really know what is going on here nor what the law really means because the interpretation is at the whim of the judge there being no real principle of precedent. It is a mess

I lost my passport, left it in a taxi, twelve years ago. I immediately went to the US Embassy and if memory serves me correctly, I had to go to immigration as soon as received my new passport. They sorted it out.

For many years, every single time I went up to pass through immigration entering Thailand, a supervisor had to be called over.

"Lost passport?" they would ask.

"Yes."

"Okay."

Two seconds later, I was through.

• Like 1

Well herein lies the problem with Thailand. Firstly if your passport is stolen and you have reported it and applied immediately and in due time for a new one why deport the victim? If it is an issue with Thai law then why are the Embassies not helping their citizens avoid this by issuing temporary documents to allow you to do whatever necessary as if you had a passport until a new one can be issued? Lastly no one ever seems to really know what is going on here nor what the law really means because the interpretation is at the whim of the judge there being no real principle of precedent. It is a mess

I lost my passport, left it in a taxi, twelve years ago. I immediately went to the US Embassy and if memory serves me correctly, I had to go to immigration as soon as received my new passport. They sorted it out.

For many years, every single time I went up to pass through immigration entering Thailand, a supervisor had to be called over.

"Lost passport?" they would ask.

"Yes."

"Okay."

Two seconds later, I was through.

Same for me. Lost mine about the same time. Not a big problem, but every other time it would take me a short while longer than others to get through passport control as they usually asked me about it. One time the lady started saying 'blacklist!' and called her superior over, which gave me a fright lol. Everything was fine though.