Pattaya Beach to be reorganized

Rimmer

yes they said the motorcycle taxi's were going to get cracked down and nothing happened there.. what makes you think this is going to be any different

Hey, they now have green vests! Now that's progress!

its actually a little more progressive then that, they also have to wear shoes, trousers and long sleeved shirts now as well

Don't forget ties

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a fear that so much is changing that eventually Pattaya will lose that wild out of control atmosphere that is so uniquely Pattaya.  I’ve been all over the world and I have never witnessed a place like Pattaya, it reminds me of Las Vegas, a poor man’s Las Vegas on steroids.  

Love it or hate it Pattaya is truly a city like no other, I’m just happy I got to experience the place before they sterilize it and make it like every other place in Thailand.  

• Like 2

I suppose they will not limit their action to just the main beach.
If they begin to look at the Land Office as they did in Phuket, that could become interesting rolleyes.gif
There are several hotels who have a "public space usage" problem with Pattaya City for years. Things could change...
By example:
- Dusit Thani hotel, at north of the beach, constructed one of its swimming pool on the public space;
- Grand Centara in Naklua has taken a part of the public beach;
- The Royal Clif tried to extend its land on the sea;
- An hotel build a big swimming pool in the sea ! (Don't know its name, but easy to see on GoogleMaps)
- and I suppose many others I didn't hear about...

- and I am not talking of Walking Street sea side... wink.png

• Like 1

yes they said the motorcycle taxi's were going to get cracked down and nothing happened there..
what makes you think this is going to be any different

Where did you see that nothing happened ? They have now to be register? new vest with number, name, location; new yellow plaque; boards with prices to main destinations, a new 25 + 5x fare rate imposed by City Hall, etc.
  • Like 1

yes they said the motorcycle taxi's were going to get cracked down and nothing happened there.. what makes you think this is going to be any different

Hey, they now have green vests! Now that's progress!

yes and some chiefs brothers friend owns the shop that will supply the new vests,but hey,this is amazing ''romantic''thailand.

... isn't that a Description of Marketing?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what's wrong with beach chairs, umbrellas, cold drinks and snacks being served, if they are not overpriced and reasonable quality? People making living of the tourists there are not mafia

the biggest problem of pattaya beach is poor quality of water, with an urban waste being pumped without being treated strait into the sea for the last 40 years

The beach is run by local mafia... They own all the ones in the best places and you have to pay them to pitch anywhere else.

I think you will find these mafia include local officials and police chiefs.

They treat it like they are the owners and if you don't pay, you have big problems.

They also encroach almost all the way to the waterline save for a few feet... basically they gobble up 80% of the beach space, and let's face it.... make it look horrendously ugly, like a squatter camp in Johannesburg.

Maybe a few quality built modern looking beach side bars and restaurants would look a lot better dotted about randomly instead of a claustrophobic huddle of shanty structures.

Jomtien beach next I hope.

Agreed. the concept of private vendors gobbling up all available space on the beach and uglifying it is a real problem here. The beaches would look so much better if people could go and put  a beach blanket down and chill uninterrupted. It's a shame that every stitch of real estate has to be used to suck more money out of people. 

Because of their 2 month summer, many Poms have been brainwashed to accept their beaches being full of deck chairs, umbrellas, shitting Donkeys and Punch and Judy. Some in TV ask "whats wrong with deck chairs and umbrellas" etc.  They need to go to Australia, where none of this crap is seen on our pristine beaches which are admired the world over. There you will see just clean beautiful beaches, if you want a chair take your own and put it back in the car when finished.   I agree, shift ll this commercial junk off the beaches of Thailand, teach those who think that they are ok, what a pristine beach looks like.

• Like 1

what's wrong with beach chairs, umbrellas, cold drinks and snacks being served, if they are not overpriced and reasonable quality? People making living of the tourists there are not mafia

the biggest problem of pattaya beach is poor quality of water, with an urban waste being pumped without being treated strait into the sea for the last 40 years. A more difficult task, than kicking out traders

For, drinks and snacks go to a shop or restaurant  whistling.gif rolleyes.gif

I Have read somewhere that the main concern for pattaya beach was the illegal overhanging extension of buildings,which have encroached the beach by unscrupulous venues along walking street.

Needless to say not only are they an eyesore but potentially dangerous,sorry but i had to giggle there forgot i was in thailand...

As for the beach traders and so forth the case will be move along son and come back when my back is turned,or maybe a on the spot fine as i have seen regularly where i frequent,these traders pay the fine then carry on regardless in extreme cases they are told to move on but back the very next day, to compensate for the loss of 400 baht.

So it's a stalemate result, i can see happening here.facepalm.gif

Regarding Walking street. Knock down all those restaurants etc  which have been built over the high water mark over the last few years. They do not own the land.

I Have read somewhere that the main concern for pattaya beach was the illegal overhanging extension of buildings,which have encroached the beach by unscrupulous venues along walking street.

Needless to say not only are they an eyesore but potentially dangerous,sorry but i had to giggle there forgot i was in thailand...

As for the beach traders and so forth the case will be move along son and come back when my back is turned,or maybe a on the spot fine as i have seen regularly where i frequent,these traders pay the fine then carry on regardless in extreme cases they are told to move on but back the very next day, to compensate for the loss of 400 baht.

So it's a stalemate result, i can see happening here.facepalm.gif

Yes, you are probably correct. But now that the General is the boss, it is all going to change.  thumbsup.gif

Looking at the photo of all those Navy Boys with riffles, looks like they are "using a sledge hammer to crack a nut".

As for the umbrellas encroaching on the beach, wait until the next big holiday and calculate just what is the maximum usage, I would estimate even on a busy day most are never used.

The simple answer is only 50% of the beach given over to commercial use, and that should only be the strip between the promenaded and halfway to the high water mark, allow one umbrella per 4x4M2  and charge the operators a licence fee per umbrella which goes to funding the cleaning of the beach.

Other commercial operations should also be regulated to ensure they they use minimal amount of the beach in the appropriate areas.  

Absolutely  Not.  Privately owned umbrellas only or only ones hired from an "off beach" hire stand.   Take your own now and these Mafia grubs will beat you up. w00t.gif

I was on Pattaya beach last week and I was happy to be able to sit in the shade and drink a beer. The kids loved it. More important, as written above, would be to get the water clean and get all of that rubbish, including broken bottles, cleaned up. There are machines that do this. Good for picking up syringes too, although I didn't see any.

In Australia, beach goers take their own Shade and the Esky with beer and tucker.  Incidentially, the local councils clean their beaches early every morning. Tractors drive up and down before people arrive, with sifting equipment which takes any foriegn crap out of the sand, including fag butts. Leaving  perfectly clean sand down to about 12 inches

Really, they want to clean Pattaya Beach up?  That's the first I've heard of this...  They are full of it!  How many times have you heard the same story?  You know, when you drive down North Pattaya Road to the beach, you get such a beautiful view and what a great feeling to have entered the beach area.  You see the Parasailers, the jet skiis moving along the water and what a great feeling, then you begin to to see all the bad about how they run the area.

My wife and I were in Rio not too long ago and how they have their beaches could really work here in Pattaya.  First of all, it was a good idea to widen the street, but where they went wrong, is the extra lane should have been sectioned off from the rest of the street by some border to allow people to utilize it for biking, roller blading or skating and jogging.  That would make the beach so much nicer and more enjoyable.  Howabout putting in a section of children's playgrounds and spread out along the whole beach side water fountains; cleaner looking and more trash bins; police on bicycles and walking up and down the stretch in shorts and short sleeve shirts; allowing ice cream and smart looking food stands along the sidewalk area etc...  At night, put in more lights and allow the food stands and some VW Wagoon looking bars with music to enjoy...you put in more lights and allow the police to continue strolling the area would clean up all prostitution there.  Pattaya will never be rid of this, but it can be organized and cleaned up a bit.

They talk but never do anything.

How many of you enjoy the events when they close down the street for a festival or something?  I do very much, but then it goes back to what it is and has always been.

I know that eventually they will do something, but when?  Could this be it?  Who knows, but I really doubt it.

Are you crazy or alcolhic.............More bars needed in Pattaya indeed. facepalm.gif blink.png

I for one salute the authorities currently cleaning up a lot of mess. 

Totally agree, but just as long as one set of scammers are not being replaced with another set

All we can do is hope for the best and see what will happen. I honestly don't think that any of these crackdowns are going to work, if they will call of election within 6 months, it will take a lot of time to make these changes stick. Also, yes we can also only hope that others wont just take over with just corrupt approach to the issues.

In general i think it will require a mentality change among that for things to really change. The "mai pen rai" attitude towards everything, only straighten and allow corruption to continue, because the people "allow" it to happen.

But i try to remain hopeful, because the things have been going way too crazy over the past many years. Yes, things was somewhat similar when i first came to Thailand, but far from at the same level as now. As an example, when i came to Thailand, i could go to the beach with a blanket and find a spot. Now doing so can get you into deep trouble, because they think they own the public beaches where i am allowed to go with a blanket and enjoy my lunch. Same goes for taxi and tuk tuk, they were here before me, and also running an "unclean" business, but since then things have gone crazy with people being attacked over picking up friends from a hotel, diving business minibus drivers been blocked from picking customers and so on. Things has gone way out of hand, and just because they have been doing this for years, doesn't make it better, it actually makes it worse, because many have been doing business illegally.

A lot of these kind of business are offering service for tourists, but while doing with greed and aggressive behavior, they ruin the tourist industry as well. 

I have every confidence that the General has not got a "Mai pen rai" attitude and pray that he will be around for some time .thumbsup.gif

Pattaya City is the best place on God's good, green Earth. A man's city, where you can drink a beer for breakfast and scratch your balls while doing so, without a bitchy wife bitching at you. It should be preserved as just what it is, left unchanged through eterntity. If ever a locale was worth of World Heritage Listing, it is Pattaya.

If you have issues scratching your ball under your alcohol breakfast without your bitchy wife bitching at you, i think you have bigger issues than being concerned about the beach cleanup. Just the fact that you want to leave things as they are, tells a bit about either how ignorant someone can be, or how much you actually care as long as long as you can scratch those balls while getting sh*t-faced. I am very pleased about this cleanup, and i hope that next there will be a ball-scratching cleanup too, because that might make quality tourists consider coming back.

While many men does see Pattaya as heaven on earth, it's at the same time one of the worst places Thailand has to offer. I don't want to stereotype people, but the kind of tourism Pattaya does attract is not really the tourists that majority of Thai prefer.

Anyway, go back to your ball scratching and enjoy while it last!

Well said young man!     thumbsup.gif  clap2.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I suppose they will not limit their action to just the main beach.
If they begin to look at the Land Office as they did in Phuket, that could become interesting rolleyes.gif
There are several hotels who have a "public space usage" problem with Pattaya City for years. Things could change...
By example:
- Dusit Thani hotel, at north of the beach, constructed one of its swimming pool on the public space;
- Grand Centara in Naklua has taken a part of the public beach;
- The Royal Clif tried to extend its land on the sea;
- An hotel build a big swimming pool in the sea ! (Don't know its name, but easy to see on GoogleMaps)
- and I suppose many others I didn't hear about...

- and I am not talking of Walking Street sea side... wink.png

Well those hotels know whats coming. Just look at Phuket .  and serve them right, although they should first have to face heavy fines before being closed down.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

/* snip */

All those structures along there have been in place since the US established R&R activities there during the Vietnam war. Of course upgraded over the decades. Their origin was the prior fishing village of Pattaya. End of the 1980s there had still been some shacks of fishermen there.

Great news about time, the beach at Bahn am Phur (excuse spelling) is a great example plenty of food drink outlets with covered seating.

The operators are great, no hawkers except the odd bookseller.  Loads of room so you have your own space so to speak on beach.

Pattaya beach is an eyesore 20 years ago it was great over the years it has just got ridiculous and filthy.

Wherever you go in this world,   local officials, .police anyone who knows how to screw the system is coining it and I reckon most of the saintly people that post here would not mind a bit of the action.

• Like 1

Go to Jomtien. Its much nicer.

Yes, anyone who knows anything about Pattaya knows that you should go to Jomtien
if you want to hang out on the beach.  

I disagree. You should go to Koh Larn :) . A lot nicer than Jomtien.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Because of their 2 month summer, many Poms have been brainwashed to accept their beaches being full of deck chairs, umbrellas, shitting Donkeys and Punch and Judy. Some in TV ask "whats wrong with deck chairs and umbrellas" etc.  They need to go to Australia, where none of this crap is seen on our pristine beaches which are admired the world over. There you will see just clean beautiful beaches, if you want a chair take your own and put it back in the car when finished.   I agree, shift ll this commercial junk off the beaches of Thailand, teach those who think that they are ok, what a pristine beach looks like.

Well said Mr.  I have enjoyed one small, beautiful beach on Phuket for many years. Banana Beach. But the past few years it has been infected with the tacky white plastic chair disease. And the owners have started hassling people who don't want to rent these eyesores. 

What about all the bars on the beach side of walking street were they legally built or will the army do the same as in Phuket and order them torn down, it would certainly change the appeal of the street

Pattaya City is the best place on God's good, green Earth. A man's city, where you can drink a beer for breakfast and scratch your balls while doing so, without a bitchy wife bitching at you. It should be sopreserved as just what it is, left unchanged through eterntity. If ever a locale was worth of World Heritage Listing, it is Pattaya.

If you have issues scratching your ball under your alcohol breakfast without your bitchy wife bitching at you, i think you have bigger issues than being concerned about the beach cleanup. Just the fact that you want to leave things as they are, tells a bit about either how ignorant someone can be, or how much you actually care as long as long as you can scratch those balls while getting sh*t-faced. I am very pleased about this cleanup, and i hope that next there will be a ball-scratching cleanup too, because that might make quality tourists consider coming back.

While many men does see Pattaya as heaven on earth, it's at the same time one of the worst places Thailand has to offer. I don't want to stereotype people, but the kind of tourism Pattaya does attract is not really the tourists that majority of Thai prefer.

Anyway, go back to your ball scratching and enjoy while it last!

To use that PC term "Celebrate diversity". I don't drink alcohol, so I have to scratch my balls sober. I don't take hookers home either. But seems enough like Walking Street to make it a going enterprise. Don't like it? Don't go there then. I am a white man too (plenty of other races down there if you haven't noticed). No one is forcing you. Chinese tourists do spend some money (other comment), and Thais have jobs because they come here, so although may not be highest rollers, jobs are generated I would assume.

As a Pom I am afraid I have to agree.

• Like 1

You are wrong actually. On Saturday, I watched as a team of police and army officers methodically moved all along second road , stopping at every single motorbike taxi rank. Two or three serious looking officers armed with clipboards and lots of papers were examining the documents of every motorbike taxi rider.

At taxi ranks further down second road they knew the inspection squad was coming and, boy, were they on tenterhooks!laugh.png

Hey, don't let truth and facts get in the way of a good moan! Cynicism rules