Thongsook College, Bangkok - BA TESOL - Opinions?

AyG

A friend of mine (yes, genuine - not me, I'm long retired) is considering doing a BA in TESOL at this college. He's asked me my opinion.

As far as I can see it's legitimate - registered with the MoE, and its course credits are accepted by the UK's Open University (and possibly elsewhere). Nothing overtly negative online.

Can anyone tell me more? For example:

- are the students genuine and turn up regularly, or is it just another place to help you get an ED visa?

- are the lecturers informative and inspiring?

- are the fellow students bright?

- is the curriculum relevant to TESOL teachers in Thailand?

I know there was a long running topic on another forum which appeared to be disparaging, but there wasn't really any substance to the criticism that I could find.

If you have anything really negative to say, perhaps you could PM me, given Thai libel laws and all that.

Thanks.

I know 4 or 5 students. I work with 3 and worked with one who recently quit. One of our teachers joined the course this past summer. The course work seems to be intensive when they are in session. The students seem to be motivated and the ones I work with are generally good teachers -- certainly a cut above the average teacher at the school.

So, from the outside, looking in, I like what I see in the students attending the program.

I would have to say that it is similar to what you would see with students attending university and having part-time work in their chosen field.

The ones I know are serious about getting a degree. None are in for a visa only. I think this program is a little more expensive and little more work than some other methods of getting an Ed visa only.

- are the students genuine and turn up regularly, or is it just another place to help you get an ED visa?

Some former students tried using the course just to gain ED visas but found out pretty quickly that there are strict rules as to the minimum number of credits needed in order to retain the visa. Those with ED visas have to put the time and effort in to keep them.

- are the lecturers informative and inspiring?

As with anywhere, some are ok, some are good and some are great. Lecturers are evaluated by students and admin at the end of each course. The ones that don't cut the mustard are dropped while the good ones are kept on.

- are the fellow students bright?

Most students are dedicated and are genuinely interested in becoming better teachers. It's refreshing to see so many people ready and willing to put the time and effort in as opposed to bitching and moaning about the job which is prevalent in most schools I've worked in.

- is the curriculum relevant to TESOL teachers in Thailand?

Almost all of the courses are relevant to TESOL but they've had to include a few courses that are not relevant to TESOL in order to comply with requirements set forth to become accredited.

Edited by phosphorescent