Vigo, Which one to buy ?

hello members.
I have decided to buy a used Toyota vigo extra cab.

maybe 2010-2012

Im wondering if any of you owners of these trucks can
point me in the right direction regarding engine and spec,s.

Is there much difference in the 2.5 compared to the 3.0.
I want to stick with the diesel models as i plan to chip it for more BHP.

Your thoughts ?

Charlie

If you want more power you must start with the 3.0............smile.png

Or another brand lol

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nooooooooooo, a tried and tested reliable power plant is important if power increase is in mind, the OP is wise in his choice. I personally would steer WELL clear of the new kid on the block 3.2 F...... as there seems to be a few issues with it NON tuned..........whistling.gif

Or another brand lol

Nooooooooooo, a tried and tested reliable power plant is important if power increase is in mind, the OP is wise in his choice. I personally would steer WELL clear of the new kid on the block 3.2 F...... as there seems to be a few issues with it NON tuned..........whistling.gif

or you could just Chip your Vigo ;)

Or another brand lol

or you could just Chip your Vigo wink.png

Mine is, as we all know...thumbsup.gif ......Just a basic chip. I would not go for big increases cos near every ride I have "hopped up" there is always some problem alone the line.

The old saying, "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction". In other words one must build a near bullet proof engine from ground up for a big power increase and not rely on factory build, as there could be a weak spot somewhere.sad.png

Ok, maybe we can get back to the OP?

With Toyota there is quite a difference between the 2.5 and the 3.0. But if you're a normal driver, not asking for a racecar but just want to drive along with other traffic, the 2.5 is a good choice.

An example I just thought of (something to read) smile.png , I built a Pontiac 400ci V8 engine (1976 block) and upped the HP a lot. After a while it wiped out a couple of bearings. Stripped it down to find a main bearing block web had broke w00t.gif , of course the block was now scrap. Sourced a 1970 400ci block to see that there was more "meat" in that area. Built that up and it is still going strong even with nitrous....thumbsup.gif

Ok, maybe we can get back to the OP?

With Toyota there is quite a difference between the 2.5 and the 3.0. But if you're a normal driver, not asking for a racecar but just want to drive along with other traffic, the 2.5 is a good choice.

Read the OP, he wants to up the HP............rolleyes.gif

Or another brand lol

Yep you want speed available in Thailand w00t.gif

Isuzu 3.0 D-max. maybe the same one, not sure but in the 7's now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6Wx4wTkC8

Is it possible to tune a diesel so it does not billow out black smoke? Seen this many times on street pickups. Are all fast pickups chucking out black smoke under acceleration?

Or another brand lol

Is it possible to tune a diesel so it does not billow out black smoke? Seen this many times on street pickups. Are all fast pickups chucking out black smoke under acceleration?

..just worn out piston and oilrings and /or valve guides (black smoke under acceleration).

Burning oil (piston rings) is blue, and valve stem oil seal wear tends to manifest itself at partial or closed throttle. Black smoke is partial burn caused by overfuelling, which is usually down to the chip. Overfuelling a diesel is safe as it brings down combustion chamber temperatures, but it isn't great for fuel economy, the environment or the people behind you!

Basically chip tuning is an approximation at best and the way to get a good map is to have a custom map written by somebody with access to a rolling road.

• Like 1

I want to chip the Vigo, not for racing or high speed.
More just to have that extra bit of power when needed.

I have found in Thailand that some drivers (not all ) like to block you
cut you off ,run u into a ditch or wall than let you pass.

These are my personal experiences, not what i heard in some bar.
I learned a long time ago to wear jacket and gloves when driving my bike.

i will probably get a aftermarket air filter and back box,
that's as far as i will go with the engine mods

Charlie

Burning oil (piston rings) is blue, and valve stem oil seal wear tends to manifest itself at partial or closed throttle. Black smoke is partial burn caused by overfuelling, which is usually down to the chip. Overfuelling a diesel is safe as it brings down combustion chamber temperatures, but it isn't great for fuel economy, the environment or the people behind you!

Basically chip tuning is an approximation at best and the way to get a good map is to have a custom map written by somebody with access to a rolling road.

This is true,

That's why i will buy a German made chip specifically for the 2.5 or 3.0.

They retail around the 250-300 euro mark

Unburnt black diesel is perfect in tuned oilers, nowt to do with ware.I cant work out what the purpose of Oxygen Bottles in 500H.P. Ford Sabre lumps, but never heard of oxygen being used to boost Truck Engines.Does it give Nitrus effect.?.There must be someone here whose knowledge runs past Tire Pressures.

This is Thailand, get a grip! More power for any purpose is a nonsense, what you need first and foremost is to stay alive. Get a vehicle with the most airbags . . .

Unfortunately the manufacturers here are a cynical lot - they install 6 or more airbags in exported vehicles, but the same vehicle they sell here is likely to have only two.

• Like 1

A simple way to get around 15% more power is to simply get a garage to remove the catalytic converter and put a straight through in its place. The engine functions perfectly, sure there are more emissions, but not black smoke unless that was the case before removing the converter.

My garage did the job free (the converter contains platinum and is a costly item). I also had a new set of big bore twin exhausts fitted.

The difference in perfomance was amazing and with a lower throttle setting for a given speed, I suspect a good fuel saving too.

• Like 1

An example I just thought of (something to read) smile.png , I built a Pontiac 400ci V8 engine (1976 block) and upped the HP a lot. After a while it wiped out a couple of bearings. Stripped it down to find a main bearing block web had broke w00t.gif , of course the block was now scrap. Sourced a 1970 400ci block to see that there was more "meat" in that area. Built that up and it is still going strong even with nitrous....thumbsup.gif

You should print this on toilet paper .....really interesting and of course nothing to do with the question!

I am the owner of a Vigo 3.0 diesel,about 7 years old.I also own 1 year old Izusu V-cross,also 3.0 diesel. The Vigo is still as good as it was when I bought it;a fantastic car;lots of power and accelerates like a racecar..The Izusu is not as good compared.Even my brother in law,who is a Izusu fan,had to admit that the Vigo was "better"!! No particular reparations,no problems whatsoever. The things I like about the Izusu is dubbel airbags and the GPS. (Thats the main reason why I bought this second car) Want to sell it though,but no market for that no. If I had to give away one of them,the Izusu had to go!! PS I am not a Toyota fan;before the Vigo,I had a Toyota "Tiger" Worst car I have own in my life!!!

I am the owner of a Vigo 3.0 diesel,about 7 years old.I also own 1 year old Izusu V-cross,also 3.0 diesel. The Vigo is still as good as it was when I bought it;a fantastic car;lots of power and accelerates like a racecar..The Izusu is not as good compared.Even my brother in law,who is a Izusu fan,had to admit that the Vigo was "better"!! No particular reparations,no problems whatsoever. The things I like about the Izusu is dubbel airbags and the GPS. (Thats the main reason why I bought this second car) Want to sell it though,but no market for that no. If I had to give away one of them,the Izusu had to go!! PS I am not a Toyota fan;before the Vigo,I had a Toyota "Tiger" Worst car I have own in my life!!!

Nice report

... Careful though you might over Excite transam lol

Or another brand lol

they use injectors with 6 or 8 holes in stead of the standard 4 hole injectors to get more diesel in...more power, but a lot of smoke

happy as a clam with my 3.0 4x4. good passing power, easily pulls an enclosed metal trailer i use for hauling motorcycles around and camping, and generally does all the stump pulling stuff i need done around the farm. could not ask for a better truck and gets pretty good kpl if not driven too hard.