Thailand Immigration confirms new overstay rules are now official

Does seem a bit harsh on those that get apprehended on the way to the airport with say 10 days of overstay and wont be allowed into Thailand for 5 years.

The list of penalties is applicable only to overstayers of more then 90 days.

So it should have read overstay over 90 days - 1 year - forbidden 5 years.

Read again. The rules make a distinction between reporting yourself at the border or immirgaiton office and being found out as having an overstay during a check.

If you don't report yourself, it is a ban even if it is less than 90 days.

I have read it again, on the top, above the tables, it states ultra clearly that these penalties are for overstays of more then 90 days. this applies to every penalty listed underneath it.

If you had read the whole text you would have seen that the bottom part gives special rules for persons who are apprehended with an overstay. Instead of the normal rules more strict rules apply to them.

• Like 1

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does seem a bit harsh on those that get apprehended on the way to the airport with say 10 days of overstay and wont be allowed into Thailand for 5 years.

Where does it say in the warning that 10 days overstay won't be allowed into Thailand for 5 years?

Am I missing something? .. or are you.

"

If on the road you are checked, it means you are apprehended, which means a 5 year ban if less than 1 year overstay.

Only when you report yourself to immigration is there a lenient period of 90 days without a ban.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this interpretation.

The main heading of the announcement is

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

Therefore the stated penalties only apply to those aliens overstaying longer than 90 days and being apprehended with less than a 90 day overstay will not result in a 1 year ban.

You must read the whole document.

The bottom part gives special rules, in the case you are caught with an overstay and didn't report yourself.

For those not yet understanding this notice.

It's divded in two parts:

Part 1 - Voluntarily (If you report yourself either to the Immigration Bureau or Airport then you're good if within 90 days)

Part 2 - Apprehended (That means you get stopped by police or get for in an accident then you get a ban even if it's 2 days).

Pretty simple.

Yes divided in two parts but notice has text before those 2 parts and that text goes for both parts:

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

So no, no ban for under 90 days overstay in either case

Time to renegotiate my villa rent. This place is gonna be a ghost town soon enough. I wish I was a fly on the wall in a Khoasan Rd guesthouse today. clap2.gif

KSR tourists are usually genuine backpackers. It's the Pattaya sexpats that will be panicking.

Part 1 - Voluntarily (If you report yourself either to the Immigration Bureau or Airport then you're good if within 90 days)

Part 2 - Apprehended (That means you get stopped by police or get for in an accident then you get a ban even if it's 2 days).

Pretty simple.

Yes divided in two parts but notice has text before those 2 parts and that text goes for both parts:

I think if you ever overstay and are caught after 3 days you will be in for a supprise as they will not agree with your interpretation.

• Like 2

Pretty simple.

I think if you ever overstay and are caught after 3 days you will be in for a supprise as they will not agree with your interpretation.

Yes You think that way, I read different. But yes, I would be in suprise IF they would not agree my view smile.png

edit. How about this:

If there is notice in pub,

"only over 18yo can come in pub"

And under that they write 2 statements:

"under 20yo can buy beer only, over 20yo can buy beer and vodka"

So, can 15yo buy beer?

Edited by hullupullo

I think the logic is notice was given two weeks ago.

apparently everyone is supposed to sit glued to the Thai immigration website everyday to monitor if any regulation has changed overnight. Tomorrow it might be you they try to throw out.

What you say is really true. The rules and particulars change monthly or weekly, and it's always been that way - back and forth.

Just 4 months ago, they announced that border runs got you another 30 days, instead of 15. A week later, people doing border runs are called 'illegals'.

The first 2 years I was here, 5 years ago, tourist-visas were FREE, and they were begging people to have as many as possible. Now, everyone of those tourist visas and extensions, make them call people criminals.

It's ok if they change the rules, but I wish they didn't call people criminals for things that the same country encouraged a short time ago.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

BUT, you/we are not in farangland, we are in LOS where you should show respect to officials by dressing appropriately as the officials do.............coffee1.gif

Perhaps you have a weee bit more to learn about Thai thoughts.

You're living in the past transam. Thailand is past that draconian attitude, granted some of the older guys cling on to it perhaps but it isn't the future.

Pretty simple.

Both parts under the same heading: Warning ! The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

Pretty simple, and not contradictory or confusing or open to interpretation or in any way unclear, as always facepalm.gif

Question how this will affect overstayers who left last week, paid the fine, and are now abroad waiting for their new visa....

Did we squeak by before the deadline?

Will the Consulate grant me a visa?

Will the IO at the airport make an independent interpretation?

There are too many details to have a new law that takes affect on the day it is published.

I hope that they issue a statement saying: effective as of a future date.

Edited by Mr00Farang
  • Like 1

When I go to Immigration I am always fitted out in a suit, sometimes wear a top hat as well. If I see people inappropialtely dressed I tell them that they should get on a plan and go home.

Then you're part of the problem, Pat. You should never base how you look on what other people might approve or disapprove of. It's a weak, old-fashioned mindset.

• Like 1

To Whom It May Concern, Some years back, had overstay. With goog reason. It was matter of health for Thai nationals. The officer I was brought to at the airport,

Suvarnabhumi. He asked why. I explained to him. Had I had the documents (they were, I thought) packed in my checked baggage. Though his demeanor moved from serious to serious friendly. Had I produced the documents, he told me, all would be forgiven. I paid with smile. He would not accept the additional monies included with it. This statement is called a word to the wise. The good men and women assigned to protect us from ourselves and others, they are good people. Everyone of us, in the entire world.....we're playing by the same rules. The Golden Rules. Let the good times roll. Roll them with thoughts of others. Bad is paid back 1000 x's over. Good is paid back 1000 x 1000. Though that isn't why we do good.

Edited by nithisa78

No, you're not reading right.

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year

Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years

Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years

EXCEPT In the case that alien is being apprehended

Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years

So the first line only refers to the first part.

Pretty simple.

apparently everyone is supposed to sit glued to the Thai immigration website everyday to monitor if any regulation has changed overnight. Tomorrow it might be you they try to throw out.

After another visa-crackdown years ago, they then decided to make tourist-visas FREE for a year. They were practically begging people to be here, that was how it was the first 2 years for me here.

They do change the rules constantly in small but substantial ways. If it wasn't for this site, it would be much more chaos than it is now.

Quite, even before this website existed . These changes are no big deal.

Chaotic thinking due to these threads. Before internet we knew change happened and knew there were alternative ways to deal with immigration instead of listening to dudes on youtube.

Is it because the army are in control that peeps are freaking out?

Edited by Johnniey
  • Like 1

Question how this will affect overstayers who left last week, paid the fine, and are now abroad waiting for their new visa....

Did we squeak by before the deadline?

Will the Consulate grant me a visa?

Will the IO at the airport make an independent interpretation?

There are too many details to have a new law that takes affect on the day it is published.

I hope that they issue a statement saying: effective as of a future date.

I have heard of a case where a person wa denied a visa because of an overstay.

But right now th regulation is new, so it will take some time before the rules get clear. Often there is a lot of misinterpretation in the begining and it takes a little bit longer before things become clear.

• Like 2

The document sets out different punishments for simply overstaying, and overstaying and being apprehended.

However, aren't you, technically, apprehended at the airport, by way of handing yourself in?

Sure, they will let you pay the fine and fly out, but wouldn't they also forbid you from entering Thailand for 1 year?

When you report your overstay to an immigration officer, be it at your local immigration office or at a border exit point, you are "surrendering", not being apprehended. This is the distinction made in this overstay rule announcement.

• Like 2

Correct, you better look like a jobless bum then a succesful working guy.

When I go to Immigration I am always fitted out in a suit, sometimes wear a top hat as well. If I see people inappropialtely dressed I tell them that they should get on a plan and go home.

Then you're part of the problem, Pat. You should never base how you look on what other people might approve or disapprove of. It's a weak, old-fashioned mindset.

Yes, same works with Immigration Bureaus. There is a set of rules, but it is possible to bend the rules both ways.

To Whom It May Concern, Some years back, had overstay. With goog reason. It was matter of health for Thai nationals. The officer I was brought to at the airport,

Suvarnabhumi. He asked why. I explained to him. Had I had the documents (they were, I thought) packed in my checked baggage. Though his demeanor moved from serious to serious friendly. Had I produced the documents, he told me, all would be forgiven. I paid with smile. He would not accept the additional monies included with it. This statement is called a word to the wise. The good men and women assigned to protect us from ourselves and others, they are good people. Everyone of us, in the entire world.....we're playing by the same rules. The Golden Rules. Let the good times roll. Roll them with thoughts of others. Bad is paid back 1000 x's over. Good is paid back 1000 x 1000. Though that isn't why we do good.

To whom it may concern, some years back, I overstayed 2 months. The officer who I paid the fine to was laughing, and said 'You are welcome in Thailand!'. 3 months ago, after being outside of Asia for 7 months, years later, an IO saw that overstay in my passport, and absolutely flipped out. I had been polite, and remained that way throughout. She was livid angry. Another friend of mine recently paid an overstay for 3 months, and then got a new visa and came right back, said it was no problem. Take this as a word to the wise. It depends completely on the mood of the person you encounter.

• Like 2

it does, also isn't a complete nonsense that the same guy being overstayed 91 days just won't be allowed to enter into the land for 1 year only?

is this because the police are expected to do extra work catching the people on the road instead of waiting for them in the airport?

I agree with you, but, on the entrance door of the main immigration office in Phuket Town is a sign that says "Please dress respectfully".

Given that it is easy to look smart and the downside could be a major inconvenience, a smart guy will look smart.

I subscribe to TVF newsletter which goes straight to my email. I immediately review anything related to Immigration which might affect my family! As a husband and father it is my duty to stay on the right side of the law and not be deported or banned. As a law abiding citizen I have slowly built the trust and respect of the local community. Simple as that really.

• Like 1

I subscribe to TVF newsletter which goes straight to my email. I immediately review anything related to Immigration which might affect my family! As a husband and father it is my duty to stay on the right side of the law and not be deported or banned. As a law abiding citizen I have slowly built the trust and respect of the local community. Simple as that really.If you were a citizen you wouldn't need to get a visa. Perhaps getting this would be even more responsible.

I subscribe to TVF newsletter which goes straight to my email. I immediately review anything related to Immigration which might affect my family! As a husband and father it is my duty to stay on the right side of the law and not be deported or banned. As a law abiding citizen I have slowly built the trust and respect of the local community. Simple as that really.

One has to do that. But, from a lot of experience traveling over many years, Thailands visas rules change far more frequently than any other country I can think of. And the consequences are more severe as well. Thailand is nortiously known in that way, actually. 4 months ago, they announced that landborder get 30 days, after first changing it to 15 days, about 2 months before that. Then, they announced no more land crossings at all - even implied it was 'criminal' to try. Going back in time, I could keep listing all sorts of wild changes at a moment's notice. That's not like the rest of the world.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Agree, but even if they would throw me out, it would be very hard on the missus, but she is allowed to stay and come and go as she pleases as she is a Thai Citizen. However I must stress we don't have any kids. And (as I listen to TV advice biggrin.png ) I can walk away from everything I own here, the question that remains is can you ?

Edited by MJCM

I subscribe to TVF newsletter which goes straight to my email. I immediately review anything related to Immigration which might affect my family! As a husband and father it is my duty to stay on the right side of the law and not be deported or banned. As a law abiding citizen I have slowly built the trust and respect of the local community. Simple as that really.If you were a citizen you wouldn't need to get a visa. Perhaps getting this would be even more responsible.Hahaha. Thanks for the correction. I won't split hairs with you. I correct it as follows:

As a law abiding family man legally living with my Thai family I have slowly built the trust and respect of the local community. I am well known in these 'ere parts and don't need to get under no radar!