Advice on Gay Divorce Whilst Living in Thailand

notbkk

I am currently in a Civil Union partnership with a Thai man, which we entered into in South Africa. That was seven years ago.

We now need to get divorced. Does anyone know if this can be done at my embassy? (South African). Is it a lot of hassle, drama, etc? I am unable to log into the embassy's website in Bangkok, think it must be down. I have emailed them but usually they take ages to reply.

Any information will be appreciated, thanks!

Thanks for your reply, onthemoon...Yes, I'm in Bangkok and thanks for the sympathy, but all is OK and I'm very happy for him to go and live in England. It was always his dream.

I have subsequently come across some information stating that the only thing I can do, apart from flying back to South Africa, is to have it done here through a Thai court, using South African law. Apparently it can be done. How, I'm not sure, but interesting!

In the mean time, we will trot off to my embassy just to make sure...

Thanks for your reply, onthemoon...Yes, I'm in Bangkok and thanks for the sympathy, but all is OK and I'm very happy for him to go and live in England. It was always his dream.

I have subsequently come across some information stating that the only thing I can do, apart from flying back to South Africa, is to have it done here through a Thai court, using South African law. Apparently it can be done. How, I'm not sure, but interesting!

In the mean time, we will trot off to my embassy just to make sure...

I am surprised that a Thai court would use South African law. Anyway, good luck!