Mechanical Question

dmitri

Hey guys,

I have a question about riding typical Yamaha Spark bike.

It's semi-auto, which means it doesn't have neutral speed on the go, unless you are standing still. What I am doing though while riding is keeping my lever pressed on a gear. For example, if I am in the 4th gear, I press and hold the lever dow which makes it behave as if it is riding in neutral. I like the feel of being free of engine while rolling.

So the question is: am I killing my bike this way? Will this wear out the transmission and/or the clutch?

Thanks!!

-d.

You're not doing it any harm, but it's not a safe riding habit as if you're slowing down as you coast and revs are dropping, you can find yourself in the wrong gear in the event that evasive action is necessary.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

I don't think you will do any damage - in effect you are using the auto-clutch system like a normal clutch and disengaging drive by pressing on the gear change.

But ...... it's not a good practice for bike handling reasons.

You really should have the bike under power to have proper control - even if you are on a trailing (nearly closed) throttle.

Steady power keeps the bike balanced and you are also in a position to apply more power if needed.

On a fully manual bike you would not ride around with the clutch pulled in - the bike would feel "loose" and imbalanced when cornering - and when you let the clutch out you'd need to match the revs to avoid a jerk as the engine comes up to speed.

This is not a big deal on a low powered Spark or Wave - but it's not recommended on a bigger bike.

Racing bikes even have special 'quick shifters' to make sure the bike spends the minimum amount of time without drive - you are not really in control when riding with the clutch slipping or even worse .... in neutral.

• Like 2

no, you are not killing the bike.

actually, these bikes are not designed to do that but it is the only way to operate these bikes like you use a hand clutch lever. You can modulate the engine braking with it too.

It is good to do that especially while turning as if you drop a gear before the turn, here comes engine breaking in a hard and awkward way for semi autos as no hand clutch lever to smooth things out like on conventional geared bikes.

so press the lever a bit until you turn and once you slowed down, downshift after that.

i use the same method while riding my honda wave as engine breaking is always messy with semi auto bikes.

but other than that while going straight etc, no reason to roll the engine in neutral of course.

Edited by ll2

Thanks a lot guys, this helps!

Also, I was wondering about this: I did a combination of both engine breaking and disengaging the drive while going down the mountain the other day. At some point the engine light went on. Once I got into a gear and gave it some gas it went away. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

-d.

Also, I was wondering about this: I did a combination of both engine breaking and disengaging the drive while going down the mountain the other day. At some point the engine light went on. Once I got into a gear and gave it some gas it went away. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

-d.

Sounds like it either stalled and then 'bump started' when the drive re-engaged' or was just idling so slow the oil pressure warning came on?

Cheers,

-d.

never go down a hill in neutral! Go down always in gear, low gears. Safest rule is going down the incline with the same gear you climbed it - of course hard to follow this for me:)

Are you street racing your Spark? I ask as in normal riding I can't see an advantage to what your doing.

I also could not see why you'd want to coast a bike in neutral - until I saw II2's post. The semi auto bikes can have a really clunky downshift that can be tricky as you go into a bend.

Better to slow down and get into the right gear before the bend of course - then you can use the drive through the bend ...... but if you've left the change a but late - an alternative is to press on the pedal and coast around. Not recommended - but these semi-autos are a compromise.

I prefer a manual clutch myself - as even auto scooters tend to coast with no engine braking on a closed throttle.

And full auto like the Honda 700/750 DCT's are good ..... they are really nice to ride in traffic.

• Like 1

Are you street racing your Spark? I ask as in normal riding I can't see an advantage to what your doing.

lol no. I just like the feeling of not being attached to the drive (kind of like riding a bicycle) and it made me feel as if I am saving gas. But after reading a few posts here I tend to do it way less now. I think safer ride is more important than "bicycle feel".

Thanks for all your help guys!

Cheers,

-d.

d,

Unclear to me how engine braking and disengaging the drive can be combined.

One excludes the other.

Alternating between the two is a fun, fuel-saving option for descending the mountain.

Perhaps this is what you meant.

Cheers,

-d.

d,

Unclear to me how engine braking and disengaging the drive can be combined.

One excludes the other.

Alternating between the two is a fun, fuel-saving option for descending the mountain.

Perhaps this is what you meant.

Yeah man that's what I meant. I used both of the techniques while going down, but not simultaneously - since they're exclusive :)

Cheers,

-d.