Tip for Triton owners - and maybe other trucks?

topt

Pair of vice grips, reversible screwdriver and adjustable wrench in the glove box have saved my bacon several times over the years- all for less than $15.

A reversible screwdriver? I have about thirty screwdrivers and just checked them all to see if they are reversible, every one would turn to the left or right

Reversible screwdriver. Of very high quality.

gtrblog-r35-toolkit-8.jpg

Good idea to check things work that you may need on the road side.

Better to do it at home than find out the wing nut is stuck tight in the middle of the night in the pouring rain.

I practiced changing a wheel on my Toyota pick-up and found that a couple of blocks of wood for the jack to stand on were a help, also a metal tube extension for the wheel brace (lug wrench) for tight nuts would be useful so now carry these in the car.

And yes check regularly you still have a spare wheel w00t.gif

On my Chev , trying to move the wheel nuts with only the supplied short lever brace nearly did my back in , so when I went to the tyre place I had all wheels loosened then tightened them with the wheel brace myself.

A metal extension tube would be good , dunno where to store it but.

The block is a great idea , the Chevs jack needs about 100 turns to reach the cursed axle and leaves you drowning in your own sweat laying on the tarmac in the awkward rear tyre changing position.

• Like 1

Pair of vice grips, reversible screwdriver and adjustable wrench in the glove box have saved my bacon several times over the years- all for less than $15.

A reversible screwdriver? I have about thirty screwdrivers and just checked them all to see if they are reversible, every one would turn to the left or right

Reversible screwdriver. Of very high quality.

gtrblog-r35-toolkit-8.jpg

I knew exactly what you meant Impulse, just jesting. Although I am not a fan of that type of screwdriver I do agree with you that Snap on are very high quality.

I use AXA it comes included with my AXA insurance policy. So far I have not had to call on them so don't know if they are any good.

Same here. I vaguely thought about calling them out when I got a flat tyre, but in the end I decided it was simpler/quicker just to put the spare on myself.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They don't seem to use torque wrenches much around here, which I religiously follow to.

For those who seem to have a hard time getting the nuts off from their wheels, try some anti-seize compound on the outer threads. It works wonders. The heat in Thailand along with the water, over time will cause rust and what have you, resulting in difficulty when removing the nuts. And yes, it's safe.

The shops usually use those pneumatic power hammer-drill-type tools which can be much too powerful.

A friend in Japan took his Toyota MR-2 to the shop to get new tires. The mechanic using a large pneumatic

tool, actually broke off three of his wheel studs. The shop tried to charge him to replace the studs. After he

made a rather big noise to the shop owner they finally repaired it at their expense.

A lot of mechanics have very little training and little common sense.

I shudder when they use those damn lazy things. It's so easy to even scar the chrome on the wheel lug nuts. These monkeys don't even care that they are using a tool that speeds up things, the least they can do is do it perfectly. Many times I've seen them put on the lug nuts without even checking if its crooked or not AND JUST BLASTING IT. Sigh... coffee1.gif

Me? Torque wrench, and do it the right way.

Another related thing. After a service, check that all the tools (including jack) are still there, or remove them before taking the vehicle in.

This happened a few years ago in Bahrain. I bought a new Volvo,and took it to the dealer for its 1000km service. It was returned to me minus: spare whee, all tools, jack, and all floor mats.

The dealer swore blind that they had not been in the car when I took it into the workshop. It took a letter to Volvo Customer Services in Sweden before they were all returned by being dumped outside my house.

Mailing address or email please. If I buy a Volvo in the future. So how's the car? Any complaints? Or simply loving it. Would love some real owner experience review of Volvo.

I knew exactly what you meant Impulse, just jesting. Although I am not a fan of that type of screwdriver I do agree with you that Snap on are very high quality.

I knew you knew. Just taking the bait. Slow day that one...

But I was kind of surprised Snap On makes a reversible.

Edited by impulse