overstay clearance question

Just wanna know something (i know Joe quite helped me answering this question but i'm still somehow unsure of what we should do):

Since the law has passed yesterday, does that mean thatif someone overstayed more than 90 days but less than a year and has already left the country (flew out on July 17th) won't be able to comeback inside the country?

It's a bit confusing because yesterday my friend received his tourist visa & passeport and we're suppose to go back to Bangkok tommorow.

Does the new law apply only to those who are still in the country and are getting caught or exiting the country from now on or to anyone that has already overstayed and cleared the fine?

My logic tell me that he shouldn't have problem since he went out before the law were in application but i'm still unsure.

Thanks

(Also, does showing paper like existing bank account transaction & departure plane ticket before the end of the 30 days help or it doesn't matter much?)

Edited by Crossy
removed superfluous quote

There is no indication that the law is retrospective.

However, your friend should expect the 3rd-degree from the immigration officer and have everything squeaky clean (including the required cash to show) for whatever visa type he will be arriving on.

That said, it is up to the immigration officer whether someone is allowed in.

If you are using a Tourist Visa or Visa Exemption, showing anything that would cast doubt on your 'tourist' status (like a bank account) would be counter-productive.

I suspect the new rules will not be retroactivily. It will only apply to new cases that are presented to immirgaiton. They will than be fined and banned of which a note will be made in the database they use (and in your passport). Once in the database you will be denied entry for the appropriete time.

But that is my best guess.

Thanks for the answer guys

i think the same as you Mario but i just want to make sure since, even though we left before the law was passed, it really wasn't long time ago (a week) so i don't know if this can play a role.

Crossy, the thing is he's obviously not a tourist since he stayed in Thailand for over a year but it's the only visa he could of get here. I guess the immigration officer will challenge and ask him about how can he be a tourist if he stayed there for more than a year.. we asked some people here (PP) and they told us that it was a tourist visa that he needed but i dunno how can this work, we shall see i guess.

Is there any amount of money needed up front in case for a tourist visa when u arrive at immigration at bkk? is it 20k?