Hi-tech smuggler flies drone into Thai supermax prison

webfact

Hi-tech smuggler flies drone into supermax prison
By Coconuts Bangkok

drone_0.jpg?itok=bfvXsRwG

BANGKOK: -- Back when we were kids, smuggling contraband into prison involved plastic wrap, a blowdryer and a tub of K-Y Jelly. These days, kids just send their flying robot helpers to do their dirty work.

One such drone delivery fell short Monday night when it got stuck in a tree inside the grounds of a high-security prison in Ratchaburi province.

Not long after guards had been tipped that a smuggling operation was underway, they found the camera-equipped droned stuck in a tree during night surveillance, according to Danai Supsin of the Khao Bin prison.

The remote-control flyer carried prohibited items including two mobile phones, four SIM cards, some Bluetooth devices, a battery charger and earphones [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/07/23/hi-tech-smuggler-flies-drone-supermax-prison

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-07-23

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has it been Hi-Tech to fly a remote-controlled plane or helicopter. <deleted>Sakes, I was doing this 40 years ago.

Hi-Tech my ass.

But not equipped with FPV. Plus this thing i electric and much quieter than the petrol-run dinosaurs you flew.

You didn't wait, did you? Assumptions, as often.

Yeah.. not High Tech at all. Anybody with a few dollars can do the same. It just takes away from the breach of security at the prison. The problem lies with the security in place, not from kids/teenagers flying readily available drones (Out of the box) already set to go upon purchase.

An obvious fault in prison security. I wonder if the guy controlling the drone was inside or out?

Hi-tech smuggler... pfff!

They bought a toy and didn't know anything about the tech to fly the "mission". They used a 5.8Ghz video link, that frequency gets stopped by even light foliage, no wonder it ended up a tree.

Since when has it been Hi-Tech to fly a remote-controlled plane or helicopter. <deleted>Sakes, I was doing this 40 years ago.

Hi-Tech my ass.

But not equipped with FPV. Plus this thing i electric and much quieter than the petrol-run dinosaurs you flew.

No assumptions necessary. That is a Phantom Vision quadcopter and has a highly evolved microcontroller(s) in it, GPS, FPV, fly to home, etc. Operated remotely via WiFi and Android/iOS app. Cost between 35000 and 50000 Baht. So would be well off smugglers but lacking skill sets. biggrin.png

Phantom 2 Vision below.

phantomuav.jpg

• Like 2

They bought a toy and didn't know anything about the tech to fly the "mission". They used a 5.8Ghz video link, that frequency gets stopped by even light foliage, no wonder it ended up a tree.

How do you know the ghz of the video link used ?

A mobile phone is worth millions in a prison here in Thailand. That's a lucrative business to be in then. Hmmmm, I wonder how I can go about becoming a supplier! Just kidding. I know it is illegal, and that makes it not worth doing for me. However, it is worth it for someone. What kind of charges would be brought against the operator of the drone if they were to be caught? What punishment would they likely face?

Hi-Tech my ass.

Edit: I built my own balsa wood radio-controlled gliders, that could fly miles and miles (song comes to mind), and they're much quieter than a toy with a motor.

OOOH Nooo! A revolutionary idea I've offered to Thai mafia. sad.png

Drugs stored in the nose, as opposed to lead, of course. giggle.gif

If they really want to get smart then do as I did as a kid also, learn how to make a French arrow, and throw it 200m, high over the wall....

Crap you were flying a drone 40 years ago with capability to carry a decent payload.

Hi-Tech my ass.

And you didn't wait to show your lack of sense of humorbiggrin.png.

I have a Phantom 2 with a GoPro and FPV. Pretty sure nothing like it was around 40 years ago.

• Like 1

A GPS jammer in the prison would put an end to these drones.

Ah, but it would also put an end to certain cash flows...

These drone copters are high tech indeed but they are relatively noisy and I find it hard to believe that some guards (and probably other higher officials) are not conveniently looking the other way when these airborne deliveries arrive...

Edited by Yann55

How do you know the ghz of the video link used ?

By the size of the circularly polarized antenna on the video transmitter, of course. The orientation of the antenna is wrong too.

Hi-Tech my ass.

Edit: I built my own balsa wood radio-controlled gliders, that could fly miles and miles (song comes to mind), and they're much quieter than a toy with a motor.

OOOH Nooo! A revolutionary idea I've offered to Thai mafia. sad.png

Drugs stored in the nose, as opposed to lead, of course. giggle.gif

If they really want to get smart then do as I did as a kid also, learn how to make a French arrow, and throw it 200m, high over the wall....

You could very well be my long lost brother!