Women railway police to be assigned on children, ladies trains in Thailand

webfact

Women railway police to be assigned on children, ladies trains
By Digital Content

14061089876429.jpg

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, July 23 -- Female police officers will be deployed to ensure the safety of passengers on board the newly-introduced trains for children and women.

Pol Gen Pirat Nasomwat, Railway Police Division commissioner, met police officers from Hua Hin Railway Police, Thung Song Police Station in Nakhon Si Thammrat and Hatyai Police Station in Songkhla today at the Hua Hin Municipality Office in Prachuap Khiri Khan to discuss adjusted rail security measures to tackle violence against children and women.

The meeting was in line with a project to improve the performance of railway police officers in crime prevention and control by providing knowledge about police practices, related laws and regulations to facilitate effective communication and fast response to emergencies.

According to Gen Pirat, railway police have tightened rail security to enhance safety for passengers, especially children and women, by closely monitoring drugs and crimes and deploying female police officers on the trains with compartments exclusively for children and women, introduced by the State Railway of Thailand, to prevent crimes and abuse.

The new passenger safety measures follow a recent case in which a 13-year-old girl was raped on a train by a railways employee and her body was thrown out a window of a Surat Thani to Bangkok train on July 8. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-23

So! They went ahead and made a car esp for women. They made new rules designed to stop passengers from drinking and now have women police set to watch the special car. Seems to me that any employee can still bring his liquor and drug on the train and that any employee would not only learn who the policewoman was but also learn her schedule for toilet and eating and know when the womans car was vulnerable. Seems to me that all they really did was make travellers suffer and make a show that women would be safer on a train. Well they will be safer from other travellers. But then No travellers ever committed such horrible crimes in trains here that i know of

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

So! They went ahead and made a car esp for women. They made new rules designed to stop passengers from drinking and now have women police set to watch the special car. Seems to me that any employee can still bring his liquor and drug on the train and that any employee would not only learn who the policewoman was but also learn her schedule for toilet and eating and know when the womans car was vulnerable. Seems to me that all they really did was make travellers suffer and make a show that women would be safer on a train. Well they will be safer from other travellers. But then No travellers ever committed such horrible crimes in trains here that i know of

"a car esp for women"

A car = one car, in a country where the majority of the population is female.

"a car esp for women"

But the majority of the female population will not be trying to get on one train.

Well, they are trying. At least they didn't take a "mai bpen rai" attitude.

Amazing how much some of the posters here whine and criticize and never have any ideas for solutions themselves.

What it is is a knee jerk reaction to a very terrible event. To be painfully honest... it's just a bit of public relations nonsense to satisfy an angry public and paint a few clouds of "Now you can sleep safely again on the train" Rubbish!

Edited by Local Drunk

Amazing how much some of the posters here whine and criticize and never have any ideas for solutions themselves.

What it is is a knee jerk reaction to a very terrible event.

Alternative theory: Women have been complaining about getting groped, mauled and ogled by drunks for years, and they've been considering a "women only" car for quite a while.

And this tragic event just pushed their plan over the goal line.

What it is is a knee jerk reaction to a very terrible event.

Alternative theory: Women have been complaining about getting groped, mauled and ogled by drunks for years, and they've been considering a "women only" car for quite a while.

That is no theory at all... What you are is naive.

But they've been trying for year upon year since B.E. 1576 Tom.

LocalD was right in his observation. In fact, in my experience, female police officers are more corrupt than the males, because they use their sex (not literally) !

Why not have 'male' only carriages:

Female only carriages:

And proof of marriage and children carriages?

End of.

Any other have to fit in to their allocated legal sex! tongue.png

I'll take it one step further... Why not have womens coaches determined by the colour of their skin and national origin

Edited by Local Drunk

Ha! I define this logic in the context of gender discrimination. All men aren't rapist and all rapist aren't men. Everyone raped isn't a woman and not all women are raped by men. Men rape men but not all men rape women...

Stupid idea.

Quite an apt username really

What you are is out of touch with the realities that exist in other nations.

Ha! I define this logic in the context of gender discrimination. All men aren't rapist and all rapist aren't men. Everyone raped isn't a woman and not all women are raped by men. Men rape men but not all men rape women...

Stupid idea.

Quite an apt username really

Perhaps I should have typed it very slowly so that you get it.

What you are is out of touch with the realities that exist in other nations.

No it's the other nations that are out of touch with reality...

Stupid idea.

and think further.

A woman get raped in "normal" not ladies train and next we'll hear that "why didn't she take the ladies train"..... What is next, ladies should wear a Burka to be safe? A step back into dark past.

"a car esp for women"

But the majority of the female population will not be trying to get on one train.

I think last time they tried the <female only car> it did not last very long as few women used it. I think many women prefer to travel with family and male friends in a group. So, if they are with their husband or with an older male child they have to use the regular coach to be together. In Thailand you usually do not have the wife and daughter in a car and father and son in another car. But still, it will be useful if some women That travel alone or with other women. The problem is more the staff that is not professional and use alcohol and drug , no surprise drug testing for staff before the train departure and the lack of security officers aboard.

Knee jerk reaction to an appalling crime stemming from a number of systemic cultural problems, (drug use, drug use at work, sexual violence, lack of real law enforcement, lack of seriousness in investigating and prosecuting violence committed against women, public sector employee impunity and the bad behaviour stemming from that, cronyism in state enterprise recruitment, police ineptitude, passers-by unwilling to help victims and stop crimes, etc.)

These cars will disappear after a few weeks. Who remembers the pink women-only buses?

Stupid idea.

I don't think it is stupid. While what you say isn't entirely untrue, the majority of physical sexual violence is by men against women. For this reason women are also more likely to be afraid of men, than men of women. Couple this with recent evens, and women may very well be afraid to travel on trains alone, or even in groups. This move by the authorities may help alleviate this concern.

I do think is is more of a band aid than a solution for underlying problem, but until sexual violence is tackled in a meaningful way, it is better than nothing.

Edited by Katipo

The Railway Police is trying hard...to improve their image. What they are not doing at all is to explain why there were no Railway Police officers on that fateful train, although scheduled. And the other police which is investigating that crime has not released a statement about that either. I am wondering now if this will get mentioned at all in the trial proceedings and why the media is not asking that question...

If Thailand is serious about curbing sex and violence against women, its present rulers need to get serious about ending Thai men’s love affair with alcohol.

Drink is involved in a huge number of crimes against women in Thailand. Most of us are all too well aware of two recent cases where drink was implicated – the rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl on a train and the violation of a 72-year-old grandmother in her home.

But these are just the tip of a much larger iceberg, two extreme examples of the thousands of violent assaults committed against women and young girls every year - the vast majority of which nobody knows about other than the perpetrators and their luckless victims.

The official rape rate in Thailand is around 87 a day – or nearly four every hour. This is by any standards a shocking statistic. But, for many reasons, most rapes and sexual assaults go unreported and the real figure is estimated to be at least five times the recorded number. The victims, shockingly, range from a baby of eight months to a pensioner in her eighties.

Across the world, surveys have shown that on average half of all rapes and sexual assaults are carried out by men “under the influence” – a clear case, if ever there was one, of cause and effect.

Thailand has a freewheeling drinks culture which tolerates the imbibing of excessive amounts of alcohol but regards binge drinking as the norm. This is particularly the case among men, who typically begin drinking regularly from the age of 15, and whose alcohol dependence rates are five times that of Thai women.

The alcohol content of Thai beers is high and the price relatively low. Alcoholic drinks can be can be bought around the clock from a wide variety of sources, ranging from bars, retail shops and stores to village outlets selling home-made strong, cheap fermented rice and palm liquor for local consumption.

Thai men are arguably as addicted to drink as they are to sex – a pastime which is almost a national sport, with males coming out on top in an international condom company’s recent promiscuity survey designed to discover the world’s least faithful lovers.

One does not need to be an Einstein to conclude that there might well be a relationship between these twin obsessions.

Any attempt to curb alcohol consumption, which is a major cause of murder and other violent crimes as well as rape and sexual offences, is sure to be met with strong opposition. This is to be expected not only from countless thousands of drink-dependent Thais and social drinkers, but also from the drinks industry - from the big breweries and distilleries to bar and supermarket owners and everyone else who makes a buck out of booze.

Let the pips squeak. The price Thai women are paying for years of official failure to identify and act upon the obvious link between drink and rape is far too high. It is an admission of defeat that Thailand should have to protect women by the sexual apartheid of introducing Ladies Only carriages on trains.

The lives of all women and girls should be made safer by tackling the causes of the violent attacks which cause them travel in fear – by far the most pernicious and pervasive of which is alcohol.

The present administration is spending billions of baht on a continuing war on drugs. A similar commitment needs to be shown in counteracting the dangers of alcohol - and, with a woman being raped every 15 minutes or less, the sooner the better.

• Like 1