Full Tests At Suvarnabhumi Airport Start Monday

george

My only reaction to this is "who cares?". I don't understand how this has become such a newsworthy story. Is a new airport really that big of an event that it needs to take up so much space in the newspapers, TV and radio?

Frankly, I am more interested in some of the road projects and when they will be completed--has anyone driven down Suskawat Rd lately?

All major civil projects take longer and cost more than planned. The new BKK airport is no exception. Look at Kansai...over budget and sinking!!! The new international airport in Denver Colorado USA was almost a year late, and the multi million baggage system never worked.

I think the main problem with the new BKK aiport is the train service being 2-3 years behind, as was mentioned earlier in this string. This is a prime example of very poor planning, like designing and building a car, with the wheels as an afterthought. There may also be some "other" influences at work her too, like all the political squabbling over rights of way, poor construction, inferior materials, chance for taxis to make a killing (aka G.R.A.F.T)

Is there going to be an "Airport Bus" service for the new airport?

For anybody travelling alone and without a load of luggage, I find that this is the best way from Don Muang.

At Singapore, I find it best to go to the basement and get a bus that takes me where I want to go, or to an MRT station.

As a rule, in all my travelling, I have tried to find out how the airport workers travel in and out (and where they eat). Joining them gives the best 'feel'of the place and takes least from your pocket. But it may not be as comfortable as the services towards which passengers are ushered.

Somebody mentioned Heathrow. It should have signs everywhere saying "Beware. You have fallen amongst thieves".

The only way out of there at a reasonable price is to walk through the tunnel to the Central Bus Station.

What are the plans for the infrastructure for passengers to reach the new airport? Is there going to be a BTS extension, Surface Rail or Bus connection? Anyone who has travelled to Mor Chit Northern/Northeastern bus stations will know that the BTS stops well short of the bus station and the newer MRT stop is at the same location. It would appear that " the powers that be" are influenced by the owners of the taxis rather than the need to provide a comprehensive service to the public. Will Suvarnabhumi be 'hamstrung' in the same way?

Is there going to be an "Airport Bus" service for the new airport?

For anybody travelling alone and without a load of luggage, I find that this is the best way from Don Muang.

At Singapore, I find it best to go to the basement and get a bus that takes me where I want to go, or to an MRT station.

As a rule, in all my travelling, I have tried to find out how the airport workers travel in and out (and where they eat). Joining them gives the best 'feel'of the place and takes least from your pocket. But it may not be as comfortable as the services towards which passengers are ushered.

Somebody mentioned Heathrow. It should have signs everywhere saying "Beware. You have fallen amongst thieves".

The only way out of there at a reasonable price is to walk through the tunnel to the Central Bus Station.

Got the feeling for a minute that nobody ever took the bus. :o and certainly agree with the sentiments above.

I remember being at the mercy of the Taxi mafia in the days before the super duper road system was built and the run from D.M to the Honey could easily take 3 hours plus and cost.....How Much...."song loy baht" ..No meters of course......then came the busses. :D

If travelling alone (avec Tesco bag)I always take the A 3 to Ekki and then jump on a local charabang from there ...mai peng and quick.....sometimes stop off for a quick one in the Mucky Duck...(opp soi 19) :D

Also agree with Singapore...Sydney....Manila :D ...So re the Bus ...wots the score...any info...times ...costs any idea?....

Next Joli booked to arrive on the 30 th September......Suwana on my mind :D

Full tests at Suvarnabhumi Airport start July 3

BANGKOK: -- With the scheduled opening of Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi International Airport only three months away, complete testing of the new airport facilities will begin Monday (July 3), the airport director said Saturday, to ensure that the national showcase is ready for the launch.

I'm more interested in the quality of the Burger King in the new airport - one of my guilty pleasures when flying back home !! :o

Yep, I was particularly disturbed that *all* the taxis in the taxi rank outside the international arrivals are asking for several times the value of the journey I was asking for and refusing to use their meters. In the end, we paid a hundred baht more than the taxi driverswere asking for the 'limo' service because at least their fixed prices were properly advertised - not just made up off the top of their head.

happens for me the meter was not working

gone out to the rank you have paper with destination they can't do anything, take another one

usually around 300B going to silom plus tolls (guess ?) 60B

never had out-metered in the city (but many times with my thai friend)

in the new airport hope they'll have at least the same : going first to indicate your direction then the taxi must meter ; otherwise, take another one, theyre plenty

I remember Manila in the years of 80' before the (new) Mia ; thin on top for withies

Now domestic carriers are having serious doubts about a realistic opening date...

Budget airlines seek Suvarnabhumi delay

Most don't trust Sept 28 deadline

BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

Thailand's three budget airlines have urged the government to reschedule the opening of Suvarnabhumi airport beyond Sept 28 as they don't believe it will be ready.

Thai AirAsia, Nok Air and One-Two-Go have asked the Transport Ministry in a letter to be realistic about setting a new deadline.

''The opening date [sept 28] is too rushed. It will be beset with a lot of problems if the government insists on opening the airport prematurely on that day,'' said Sehapan Chumsai, executive vice-president for marketing of Nok Air, an affiliate of Thai Airways International.

The government would only open itself to criticism from the public and could face further embarrassment if glitches accompany the airport's opening, he said.

The three carriers say it will do no harm to have flights continue to operate out of the existing Don Muang airport, which is coping despite heavy congestion, until Suvarnabhumi is truly ready.

International carriers are also on record as being equally sceptical about the Sept 28 opening date promised by caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

''We [budget airlines] are not against moving to Suvarnabhumi, though we are comfortable remaining at Don Muang,'' Mr Sehapan said.

Among the obvious problems with Suvarnabhumi is that despite four decades of stop-and-start planning and development, a clear transport plan is still lacking.

''The general public still do not have a clue as to whether there will be public transport to the site. Worse still, many simply don't know how to get there,'' said Mr Sehapan.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents almost all of the world's airlines, warned recently that Suvarnabhumi should begin commercial operations only when it is operationally ready.

''This means having undergone the required robust and comprehensive testing and trials to ensure that the various systems are working 100% and are seamlessly integrated,'' said Albert Tjoeng, the Asia-Pacific spokesman for IATA.

''We want it to be a safe and successful opening and cost-efficient in order to be a successful hub. No one wants the cost or embarrassment of a troubled opening.''

Despite serious doubts expressed by the industry, the Transport Ministry and Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) remain committed to the Sept 28 opening.

Pongsak Raktapongpaisal, the caretaker transport minister, has been upset by reports casting doubt on the schedule, and has even gone so far as accusing the media, especially foreign news agencies that carried the reports, of having ''a hidden agenda''.

Mr Pongsak said that Suvarnabhumi managers had been running tests since Sept 29 last year, and that recent inspections showed satisfactory results.

Aviation communications were in place, including the navigation system, and facilities such as the luggage conveyor and check-in systems were completely ready for service, he added.