Non-O Volunteer Visa - Teaching

Does anyone know for sure what documents are required to apply for Non-O Volunteer Visa (single entry) for Teaching English in Thailand at the Penaeng Consulate?

Of course, the more documentation the better but I seem to think I need:

- Letter from School offering volunteer position/duties etc.

- Details confirming the school or director (certificate/id card?)

- Usual docs from me (passport/photos/money/copy of degree cert. etc.)

Some people have said I need a letter of approval from the local MOE or governing office - but others say I don't need this...

Thank you

The local Education Area office, might be handy and confirms your volunteering at a higher level than the school itself. I would get it if you can, you will need a letter from them anyway for the work permit and extension of stay.

Another new procedure, at least in Phuket, if not anywhere else in Thailand, is if you are successful getting the Non-Immigrant 'O' outside Thailand as a volunteer you must renew the extension every three months. That is the extension is treated like new application (TM7) and you will have to wait at least a month before you know whether it has been granted. Many of these new rules just appearing have been in the oven since late last year but only now are they being put on the kitchen table. The one above has been in force for nearly 8 months and to give an example many long term volunteer groups here providing services to the under privileged and orphans etc are not exempt from this new procedure.

you do need a letter from the EDUCATION OFFICE and also a work permit when you re-enter

Of course I will get one ASAP as I would like to (or rather - must!) apply for the work permit and then extension...Just judging previous teaching experiences, I know how long it can take, and unfortunately time isn't on my side! Without this, provided the school includes in the letter that it is on the way, would the first visa at Penang still be granted?