Buses Khon Kaen to Nan

TBWG

simple plain basics: one can go between ANY 2 pair of Thai cities, by bus. Its just that sometimes one may have to change en-route.

Its also still quite feasible to just go to the (AC, for this) Busstation and look farang-dumb and you'll be sent on your way in the next hour. Every time see people about www I tend to think they have lost any common sense of everyday practics.

The main thing you have to decide on is to go by day or overnight-it will take some 11-13 hrs. AND decide if you are the tipical TV-farang, unable to use anything below the gold standrad, or perhaps even a bit more open-minded.

In any case- go to busstands around 6-7 hr (am or pm), look dumb, find bus likely to Chiang Rai (maybe ChMai if leave soon), and tell when buy the ticket and lady will sell you the ticket to change point-Uttaradit or Phrae is best. Do repeat on that point. The wait there in night may be long and likely you are dependent on buses having spare seats coming from BKK or elsewhere. There will always be some salesstand open and motocy boys to chat with.

I think not directly but you can hop on one of Nakhonchai Air's KK-Chiang Mai buses and get off (not sure where the closest point to Nan would be) then proceed on the local buses, they've also got those scary double-decker buses from KK-CM and I think KK-CR but don't recommend those. Good Luck.

I think not directly but you can hop on one of Nakhonchai Air's KK-Chiang Mai buses and get off (not sure where the closest point to Nan would be) then proceed on the local buses, they've also got those scary double-decker buses from KK-CM and I think KK-CR but don't recommend those. Good Luck.

Nakhonchai Air aka NCA doest not have a route from Chiang Mai to KK. They do from KK to BK but thats a 480 km out of the op's way. The closes NCA gets to Nan would be Denchai and thats about 200 km short.

Nakhonchai Air aka NCA doest not have a route from Chiang Mai to KK. They do from KK to BK but thats a 480 km out of the op's way. The closes NCA gets to Nan would be Denchai and thats about 200 km short.

OK I stand corrected. OP if you don't know of Nakhonchai Air they are a much safer bet IME with good standards for driving and maintenance.

Actually I read that NCA does go from Rayong to Nan.

http://www.nca.co.th/timetable-rayong-nan.html

It goes through Phitsanulok so if you can catch a NCA to Phitsanulok (wait not sure if this is possible) you can go all the to Nan on NCA. Give me a minute I can read through the site as my Thai reading is not so good.

Thanks for all the input ~~~~ I am familiar with Thai buses, but boss lady wants to get from Roi-et to Nan and wants to be sure of connection times.

A real pain in the butt if you arrive 10 mins after connection has departed!

TBWGwai.gif

No direct bus from Isarn to Nan. P'lok is a good place to change. Not familiar with new bus station on highway but there are buses that run between the old P'lok bus station and Nan. They are light blue and a bit old. They run daytime. I think the last one is 4pm. There is also a day govt. bus that comes thru from BKK at midday.. It doesn't stop in the bus station but across to the northwest side at an office. It is only there for 5 minutes. Most thru buses from BKK do not stop at this old P'lok bus station. They have a food place on the highway. There are hotels in the new bus station

Otherwise if you can get to Phrae bus station there are buses coming thru from Chiang Mai and BKK. Also minibuses run from Phrae to Nan. Some buses do not go into Phrae bus station but take the bypass. Ask.

Edited by my friend I
  • Like 1