Car model recommendations - looking to buy in Thailand

Advice from car owners here in Thailand appreciated - finally want to buy a car here and want an SUV type model.

Only model I hate is Honda CRV but can't decide between likes of Fortuner, Pajero etc.

Any recommendations on best value for money, performance, reliability etc so I can focus in on few dealerships?

Most of my friends have pick ups, or older type cars, or company/work sedan type so don't know that many people with the type of car that we want to buy.

We just sold our 6 year old Honda CRV and will be picking up a new 2014 (CRV) next week. Curious as to why you would hate the

CRV model as they offer everything you are looking for, best value, reliability, performance, etc. One alternative model you might consider

is the Subaru XV 2.01 Premium which sells for B 1,350,000

Performance, no not really.. How about looks.. (opinion I know)

To quote a renowned forum

member here "it's about as exciting as an ex-wife"

We just sold our 6 year old Honda CRV and will be picking up a new 2014 (CRV) next week. Curious as to why you would hate the

CRV model as they offer everything you are looking for, best value, reliability, performance, etc. One alternative model you might consider is the

Subaru XV 2.01 Premium which sells for B 1,350,000

For future saleability and I don't mean value, I mean buyers I am told it is best to stick with Toyota or Izuzu. Toyota I am told

has more power in the mountains and Izuzu is best for economy. Having said that, I bought a new triton for 650,000.00

• Like 1

This is very much a personal choice. Some people like SUVs. Some people don't. Some people like pickup trucks. Some people don't.

It also comes down to the reason you need the vehicle. Where you live might also impact your decision.

For me, I really like pickup trucks. I had my heard set on buying one for my own personal use. I wanted the ability to travel with my own motorbike, so I really liked having that option at my disposal. At the end of the day, I decided against buying a pickup. It certainly wasn't because I didn't want one. It just wasn't practical for my situation for the following reasons:

1) I have a child now. He is 15 months old, but he had yet to pop out when we bought the car. We knew that we needed a vehicle that would make it easy for us to transport our son around. That meant 4 doors.

2) We live in Bangkok. If you have spent just a small amount of time in Bangkok, you would know that traffic is horrific. In addition to the sheer number of vehicles that you must share the road with, the roads themselves can be extremely narrow. Having a large SUV or pickup truck would make getting up and down some of the smaller sois around town virtually impossible. In our compact car, it can be difficult. Parking is very tight in a lot of places around town. It's almost worth getting a smaller vehicle just because of the parking issue alone. Squeezing into tight spots on small sois is an artform that isn't always an easy task. Not being able to get into spots because my SUB or truck is just too big would iffitate me to no end!

3) Fuel consumption was an issue. While I would have liked to have found something that runs on E85, I was happy to find something that would run on E20 without giving up any performance. Diesel is cheaper for now due to the cap on the tax levied on it, but that can't last forever.

So, I gave up on my idea of owning a pickup truck. I had to realize that I am not in America anymore. Parking spots in America are double the size and the roads are twice as wide. I am always shocked when I go back for a visit at just how big everything is. Driving back in the states is a breeze by comparison.

Ultimately, we decided to buy a Honda City. While I like Civics and even owned one in the states, I couldn't justify paying extra (quite a bit extra) for getting something that is only marginally better. Also, it didn't qualify for the 100,000 baht rebate that was being offered by the government at the time. It was a no-brainer after that. The Vios was the other car we considered, but the instrument panel was located smack in the middle of the dashboard instead of in front of the driver. That really put me off. We ordered the City. Rama IV Honda in Bangkok gave us a ton of extras because it coincided with the Auto Show when we bought it, so the saleswoman had the ability to give a bit more than she would normally.

It all comes down to you and why you need or want the vehicle. I am really happy with our choice. It's a great car. I still hate driving in Bangkok because of the traffic. I still take my motorbike most of the time. However, my son always rides in a car seat from the safety of the car. That gives me a lot of peace of mind!

• Like 1

The answer is: Fortuner 4x4 top model with full options! Have my 2nd one now and would never again buy any other car but a fortuner. Tried a Ford Everest for some time and it was horrible!

CRV - too loud, limited space, benzin engine.

Ford Everest - one of the worst cars I ever had! Too heavy, underpowered, corners like a 40year old 10 wheeler with a broken axle on an oily road, and I'd say Fords in Thailand in general suck, plus: Resale value of a Ford is a nightmare!

Pajero 4x4 could be ok - liked what I saw but have never driven one. Resale value is lower than Toyota.

Isuzu MUX - why drive an Isuzu when you can have a Toyota for exactly the same price?

The Fortuner has the right mix of engine power, speed, versatility, practicality, looks, handling, features, measurements and loading space. It's an unmatched hybrid mix of family car and work horse. In my opinion the best SUV ever built!

• Like 1

This is very much a personal choice. Some people like SUVs. Some people don't. Some people like pickup trucks. Some people don't. It also comes down to the reason you need the vehicle. Where you live might also impact your decision.

For me, I really like pickup trucks. I had my heard set on buying one for my own personal use. I wanted the ability to travel with my own motorbike, so I really liked having that option at my disposal. At the end of the day, I decided against buying a pickup. It certainly wasn't because I didn't want one. It just wasn't practical for my situation for the following reasons:

1) I have a child now. He is 15 months old, but he had yet to pop out when we bought the car. We knew that we needed a vehicle that would make it easy for us to transport our son around. That meant 4 doors.

2) We live in Bangkok. If you have spent just a small amount of time in Bangkok, you would know that traffic is horrific. In addition to the sheer number of vehicles that you must share the road with, the roads themselves can be extremely narrow. Having a large SUV or pickup truck would make getting up and down some of the smaller sois around town virtually impossible. In our compact car, it can be difficult. Parking is very tight in a lot of places around town. It's almost worth getting a smaller vehicle just because of the parking issue alone. Squeezing into tight spots on small sois is an artform that isn't always an easy task. Not being able to get into spots because my SUB or truck is just too big would iffitate me to no end!

3) Fuel consumption was an issue. While I would have liked to have found something that runs on E85, I was happy to find something that would run on E20 without giving up any performance. Diesel is cheaper for now due to the cap on the tax levied on it, but that can't last forever.

So, I gave up on my idea of owning a pickup truck. I had to realize that I am not in America anymore. Parking spots in America are double the size and the roads are twice as wide. I am always shocked when I go back for a visit at just how big everything is. Driving back in the states is a breeze by comparison.

Ultimately, we decided to buy a Honda City. While I like Civics and even owned one in the states, I couldn't justify paying extra (quite a bit extra) for getting something that is only marginally better. Also, it didn't qualify for the 100,000 baht rebate that was being offered by the government at the time. It was a no-brainer after that. The Vios was the other car we considered, but the instrument panel was located smack in the middle of the dashboard instead of in front of the driver. That really put me off. We ordered the City. Rama IV Honda in Bangkok gave us a ton of extras because it coincided with the Auto Show when we bought it, so the saleswoman had the ability to give a bit more than she would normally.

It all comes down to you and why you need or want the vehicle. I am really happy with our choice. It's a great car. I still hate driving in Bangkok because of the traffic. I still take my motorbike most of the time. However, my son always rides in a car seat from the safety of the car. That gives me a lot of peace of mind!

I have no real issues driving my 4 door truck in Bangkok

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you plan to spend that amount of money I would strongly recommend the Pajero Sport 2500 Turbo Diesel, powerful and speedy and you not pay so much tax.

The maintenance is also cheaper than the Fortuner. The "electric" from Mitsu is better sophisticated than Fortuner (told by fortuner owner).

If you can afford them I recommend Toyota Land Cruiser or Volvo XC90. Fortuner, Pajero and the similar types are basicly covered pick-ups and not very comfortable vehicles.

Where does one buy a Landcruiser in Thailand and how much are they.

You can say what you like about Fords in Thailand - and I would agree that their customer service could be (a lot!) better - but I am still in love with my Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 diesel. I have had it just over a year now, and it's a gorgeous truck.

The resale value looks fairly good, from what I can tell for such a new vehicle. And it's one comfy truck inside. Very high driving position, huge side mirrors, reversing camera (essential on such a long truck!) and a very smart interior.

I don't understand the comment about "I needed something with 4 doors, so couldn't get a truck", as mine has four doors and plenty of room in the rear. Fuel consumption could be better, but the 20% difference between gasohol and diesel (in diesel's favour) makes up for that.

• Like 1

So, you just have some fake issues? Minimal issues? Let's face it, a car is easier to drive in Bangkok. Maybe it is just where I live. The small sois leading to my house would be very difficult to navigate in a large truck. My neighbor has a large 4 door Toyota truck. He struggles to get it into his car park in front of his house because the truck is so big and the soi is so narrow. Thankfully for him, there isn't any traffic on the soi, so he can take all the time he needs to get the vehicle parked. The same family also owns a Honda City. They don't drive the truck too often because it is just a pain in the ass to get in and out. The man of the house seems disappointed that he can't cruise around in his brand new truck as much as he would like.

There are some really tight roads here. Inches or even centimeters are all that is between you and an oncoming vehicle sometimes. At other times, I must fold my mirror in. Getting past these cars is like a dance that must be executed with precision. That's why driving in America seems like a joke to me now. There's just no comparison.

Parking issues and narrow roads are the main reasons I don't have a pickup truck now. This does make me sad sometimes because I absolutely loved my last truck back in the states. I can only imagine trying to parallel park in some of the situations that I have to park in (For example, Chinatown) if I were in a large pickup truck. That must be much more difficult.

You said you would like a SUV, I would suggest the Subaru XV, 2.0 wonderful car handles like a sports car, paddle shifters, are great fun, quick, plenty of power, confortable, easy to park, leather seats, comes loaded with all the options, great gas mileage, really fun car to own, also comes with 5 year warranty unlike the Toyota or Honda.

For future saleability and I don't mean value, I mean buyers I am told it is best to stick with Toyota or Izuzu. Toyota I am told has more power in the mountains and Izuzu is best for economy. Having said that, I bought a new triton for 650,000.00

Toyota is the best seller -- and a lot of folks buy it for that reason without ever making a real comparison with the competition.

I'm still driving my 2010 Triton (a fabulous machine and I love it), but recently I test drove a new Fortuner and new Pajero Sport.

Frankly, I much prefer the Pajero for ride, comfort, build quality and smoothness. Also, my Mitsubishi dealer is absolutely superb

in customer service and vehicle maintenance.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think inside and out the Pajero has much nicer styling and better looks.

In Chiang Mai, it seems like there are at least as many Pajero Sports on the road as Fortuners. And the Pajeros looks so good.

Just a thought, but Consumers Guide to automobiles on line might have some helpful info Good luck.

Have you tried looking? Those sites work great if you are in the US.

And before you say "but the cars are all the same", no. They are not. You can't compare a Honda Accord in the US to a Honda Accord in Thailand - both in features or in price. And if they recommend that you get the Ford F150 or a Volvo XC60 with the T5 diesel engine, then you're SOL. Ford's 'new' Ranger? They won't mention it because it's not available in the US.

There are car comparison sites out there that compare models available in Thailand, but they are in Thai for obvious reasons. Plus I would not trust that they would be completely impartial (although that problem IS global).

So asking the question here is a very good way to find out what other expats in Thailand think, since we know what is available here and may have some experience with some of them.

So, you just have some fake issues? Minimal issues? Let's face it, a car is easier to drive in Bangkok. Maybe it is just where I live. The small sois leading to mye house would be very difficult to navigate in a large truck. My neighbor has a large 4 door Toyota truck. He struggles to get it into his car park in front of his house because the truck is so big and the soi is so narrow. Thankfully for him, there isn't any traffic on the soi, so he can take all the time he needs to get the vehicle parked. The same family also owns a Honda City. They don't drive the truck too often because it is just a pain in the ass to get in and out. The man of the house seems disappointed that he can't cruise around in his brand new truck as much as he would like.

There are some really tight roads here. Inches or even centimeters are all that is between you and an oncoming vehicle sometimes. At other times, I must fold my mirror in. Getting past these cars is like a dance that must be executed with precision. That's why driving in America seems like a joke to me now. There's just no comparison.

Parking issues and narrow roads are the main reasons I don't have a pickup truck now. This does make me sad sometimes because I absolutely loved my last truck back in the states. I can only imagine trying to parallel park in some of the situations that I have to park in (For example, Chinatown) if I were in a large pickup truck. That must be much more difficult.

Ok Mr Pedantic : by real issues I mean those that aren't percieved to be real. Life is about trade-offs I guess.

I drive down some narrow narrow sois on rare occaison and not intimidated by it. Any trade off in terms of ease of parking ( I have dedicated parking spot at my office and at my condo) is minimal - not enough for me to want to buy a Yaris so I can zoom around mall parkades easier. If there is only inches betweeg me and oncoming cars - then I am thankful again not to be in some golf cart.

It may be easier as you say to fit in narrow spots on the side of the road but I will take being able to see over the march / yaris / civic in front of me anytime over that minor inconvenience. Can't remember the last time I was in Chinatown over the last 14 years. Can't be more than once.

I drove to work today. I have a meeting at 1030 on Asoke. I won't drive not because I have a truck but it's just faster to take the BTS. Even if I had a Yaris / March etc I wouldn't drive to this meeting.

OP, for a first time buyer stay with the basics, Toyota and Honda have unsurpassed reputations here in Thailand, they are made here, and are preferred by the Thais. Dealer networks, parts, service, resale value all are unmatched by the the other makes. Last year I was considering a SUV, but comfort and convenience one the day and I ultimately bought a Camry. Because comfort was important to me, the CRV with it's more car like ride was my second choice. You have ruled out the most highly rated SUV, the CRV, for your own personal reasons for the truck based chassis of the Fortuner and Pajero. Having experienced Mitsubishi products in America, get the Fortuner.

So, you just have some fake issues? Minimal issues? Let's face it, a car is easier to drive in Bangkok. Maybe it is just where I live. The small sois leading to mye house would be very difficult to navigate in a large truck. My neighbor has a large 4 door Toyota truck. He struggles to get it into his car park in front of his house because the truck is so big and the soi is so narrow. Thankfully for him, there isn't any traffic on the soi, so he can take all the time he needs to get the vehicle parked. The same family also owns a Honda City. They don't drive the truck too often because it is just a pain in the ass to get in and out. The man of the house seems disappointed that he can't cruise around in his brand new truck as much as he would like.

Ok Mr Pedantic : by real issues I mean those that aren't percieved to be real. Life is about trade-offs I guess.

I drive down some narrow narrow sois on rare occaison and not intimidated by it. Any trade off in terms of ease of parking ( I have dedicated parking spot at my office and at my condo) is minimal - not enough for me to want to buy a Yaris so I can zoom around mall parkades easier. If there is only inches betweeg me and oncoming cars - then I am thankful again not to be in some golf cart.

It may be easier as you say to fit in narrow spots on the side of the road but I will take being able to see over the march / yaris / civic in front of me anytime over that minor inconvenience. Can't remember the last time I was in Chinatown over the last 14 years. Can't be more than once.

I drove to work today. I have a meeting at 1030 on Asoke. I won't drive not because I have a truck but it's just faster to take the BTS. Even if I had a Yaris / March etc I wouldn't drive to this meeting.

I drive a lot in Bangkok, on all manner of large roads and tiny sois, and I have cars in all sizes. IMO, the easiest car to drive is a large boxy SUV, because other drivers are intimidated and yield right of way and you can see your dimensions ahead of you and know your dimensions behind you, (no, I am not an obnoxious bully either). The 2nd easiest car to drive is a small hatch, for obvious reasons, but you are always pushed around as the little guy by bigger cars. The hardest cars to drive are C and D segment saloons with big bodies, indefinite sight lines, and those damn motorbike scratches, especially if an expensive premium saloon.

I have driven pickups in BKK, and they are somewhat harder.

I drive a lot in Bangkok, on all manner of large roads and tiny sois, and I have cars in all sizes. IMO, the easiest car to drive is a large boxy SUV, because other drivers are intimidated and yield right of way and you can see your dimensions ahead of you and know your dimensions behind you, (no, I am not an obnoxious bully either). The 2nd easiest car to drive is a small hatch, for obvious reasons, but you are always pushed around as the little guy by bigger cars. The hardest cars to drive are C and D segment saloons with big bodies, indefinite sight lines, and those damn motorbike scratches, especially if an expensive premium saloon.

I have driven pickups in BKK, and they are somewhat harder.

Curious how a vigo is harder to drive than a fortuner?

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

^A Vigo Prerunner is what I used to own, and it is harder to drive in Bangkok than a big SUV in that you normally have rear bumper mounted backup sensors, mirrors & cameras with an SUV (I know modern pickups have them too), so if you factor in modern pickup with reversing camera, probably not except for the length of the bed (tray) in internal carpark structures.