Macaroons in Chiang Mai

Raotis

A few years ago, nowhere. Now, all over Chiang Mai. For example, Dhara Dhevi has a shop selling them on the ground floor of the new Central Festival, Promenada has multiple places selling them. The restaurant Le Bistrot on Kampangdin, near the river sells them. And many more places.

• Like 1

Orientals Dara Devi are the best macaroons that I have tried anywhere in Thailand, much better than the oriental Bangkok and half the price too. Last time we were in Chiang Mai, we paid 18 baht each at DD and in Bangkok they charge 30 baht each. Other places are a lot more expensive at around 49 baht but a lot drier and not so many flavors to choose from.

Orientals Dara Devi are the best macaroons that I have tried anywhere in Thailand, much better than the oriental Bangkok and half the price too. Last time we were in Chiang Mai, we paid 18 baht each at DD and in Bangkok they charge 30 baht each. Other places are a lot more expensive at around 49 baht but a lot drier and not so many flavors to choose from.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the little Oriental DD kiosk in MAYA sells them for a heck of a lot more than 18 Baht. I was going to take a small slice of some interesting looking cake home until I saw it was 159 Baht for a tiny slice! I suddenly lost my appetite.

Or you could make them in a microwave - then use the spare yolks for Creme Brulee, and/or hollandaise - for eggs benedict!. And thanks to Butter is Better for their excellent Eggs Benedict which gave me the thought to make them myself at home once or twice a week..

And on the subject of cooking, I may be the last person to realise that a (cheap) rice cooker is not only for cooking rice. Browsing the Asian bookshop in Maya the other day I discovered a wonderful book called Rice Cooker Recipes Made Easy, packed with great recipes - from Asparagus with Parmesan, through Glazed Chinese Style Duck, to Peaches poached in Cinnamon Wine Sauce.

For many of us without a 'proper' oven, this extends cooking opportunities greatly - if and when you can be bothered. And if you are buying a rice cooker, go for one with 2 speeds-ours only has on or off so has to be watched carefully.