Australian Permanent Residency

Hey everyone,

I am an Australian citizen and my partner is a Thai citizen. Does anyone have any experience with applications for Australian permanent residence (by a Thai national) on the basis of a same-sex relationship with an Australian citizen under Australia's interdependent visa category? My partner and I have been together for almost 7 years, the last 5 of which have been spent living together here in Thailand. We have no intention of moving back to Australia just yet but I wanted to try to set thigs up for the future.

Any advice about this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Hey everyone,

I am an Australian citizen and my partner is a Thai citizen. Does anyone have any experience with applications for Australian permanent residence (by a Thai national) on the basis of a same-sex relationship with an Australian citizen under Australia's interdependent visa category? My partner and I have been together for almost 7 years, the last 5 of which have been spent living together here in Thailand. We have no intention of moving back to Australia just yet but I wanted to try to set thigs up for the future.

Any advice about this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Start the application process now Bob. It has been done before, but as I am sure you appreciate, they will make a few hurdles for you. You will need to evidence the relationship. Photo's ....wills....joint bank accounts....stat dec's from people who can swear as to the state of relationship. There will be questions about your ability to financially care for your partner in Australia.

just when I am trying to be serious , helpfull, seriously helpfull doc :o .

At any rate bobcat, the first visa you get is temporary, that goes for 2 years, then next step is permanent, requires 2 year stay and the last year is unbroken stay in Oz.

Thanks Bronco for the link. I ended up speaking to someone in Canberra. They said becuase we've been in a genuine relationship for more than 5 years, my partner (assuming the application is successful), will be granted permanent residence without the need for the two year wait. I am pretty confident about having all the necessary proof of our relationship so have decided to go for it. I'll let you guys know how I get on with this.

Again, thanks again for the help.

Bob

Thanks Bronco for the link. I ended up speaking to someone in Canberra. They said becuase we've been in a genuine relationship for more than 5 years, my partner (assuming the application is successful), will be granted permanent residence without the need for the two year wait. I am pretty confident about having all the necessary proof of our relationship so have decided to go for it. I'll let you guys know how I get on with this.

Again, thanks again for the help.

Bob

I'd check that Canberra advice VERY carefully Bob

Doc is right, unless that person in Canberra has a surname of howard or vandstone the process is as I said. :o

One other point that a lot of people don't know is a police check is required for every visit to LOS, during that time.

Thanks. I have done further research and have found that there is indeed provision to waive the two year waiting period for persons who have been in a relationship for 5 years or more at the date of the application. Generally, Bronco is correct that it is a two stage process, but there are provisions to waive the two-year wait for applicants who are able to demonstrate a long term relationship prior to application. This effectively rolls stage 1 and stage 2 together.

More information can be found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/family/pa...erdependent.htm

I am also having a local Aussie immigration agent check out the exact provisions of the law so that I can see exactly how the waiver of the two year period is worded.

I'll let you guys know what the migration agent says.

Cheers,

Bob

If the relationship is less than 5 years, the two years waiting period for permanent residence is dated from the time the application for a visa is made. So if you made application and it took a year to be granted, you would then have to wait another year before applying for permanent residence.

Cheers, Bapak