The Guide to Happy Expat Life in Thailand

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a single man's guide to happy expat life in Thailand.

Seems rather a lonely existance to me.

I get the feeling of 'I am a Man, therefore I am an Island'

Each to their own.

That said, a well written OP.

• Like 2

Totally applaud this list. Only changes I would make are:

2. DRIVING. Not sure if driving is really a key to happiness, especially in Bangkok, or anywhere where public transportation is dependable. Driving in Bangkok will forever be a nightmare for me. Where do you park? Much happier on the sky train, in a taxi or on a bus. Also public transportation provides better opportunities to talk to people.

9. HOBBY. I would elevate this to # 2 in importance on the list (maybe even # 1). Biggest determinant of whether someone is having a successful ex-pat experience over here that I've observed is if a person has a good reason to get out of bed in the morning. Thai language, Thai cooking, gardening are my main hobbies.

• Like 1

3 and 9 i agree with. I should add that having a job is better than any hobby.

To hell you say...

I think the saying is 'the hell you say'

Nah, it's one of those idioms that work both ways... Much like the saying(s) "I could care less" or "I couldn't care less"...

wow, what great advice. works for girls too i might add. unlike a lot of my friends, i love this place just like it is, but i miss a market down the street that sells household ammonia and arrid extra dry. you know you're sick when you dream about buying these two things.

When you meet someone, especially with a potential long term girl, start off as you mean to go on, particularly in relation to money.Oherwise your 2 week millionare attitude will come back and bite you on the bum.

Seen this happen too many times before

Sent from my GT-P3100B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The OP seems to have it nailed! I think the idea is to live with the GF but as far as possible away from the family? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

You know, not all Thai relatives are a problem. Yeah, I've had relative problems with a former girlfriend, but my present girlfriend ... fiancee actually ... has a wonderful family who show me a lot of respect and don't ask for money ... and they are simple sugar cane farmers in Issan. Lucky me.

...........wait till you get married, lucky you.

... can you explain: the Kindness bit?

I work in a school of Desperado (Thai) teachers, most of whom still look through me like I don't exist...

I took some photographs to help out the (failing) Marketing department -

more people smiled! well for about a week..

Then last week I bought an ill women some cough sweets and people were extra smiling {normal in the West] and saying hello (Most for the first [genuine] time!)

I feel like an alien observer!!!

(PS when I venture outside the school 99% of people are "Normal" (Friendly couteous etc)

A lot of good advice there......

Just one other point.......

Here "kindness" can be seen as "weakness"......

Edited by Maroon Watcher

... it's called delusional disorder

I drive a Merc I say if it rocks your boat go for it and my partners father lives 6 hours away and has not been to see us in 10 years we visit him so easy to jump in the Merc and wizz off when I say so.

In 10 + years never had a driving problem. My hobby is my 3 dogs and 7 cats and the fish in the Klong right out side our new house.

Each to your own and I do not care what people might say or speak when I get out of the Merc.

1. Live alone (don't live with the family) I have tried this before and it will never work. People are always making noise always eating all your food and never considerate of your belongings. Living alone saves you from all this madness by all means have friends a GF if you wish but living alone will make you much happier in the long run.

2. Drive yourself. Driving yourself is a big one because once you drive yourself you don't have to deal with taxi's not using the meter and fighting with negotiating fairs. You don't have to fight with drivers taking you in the wrong direction all the time and then charging you more for purposely taking the longer route. Safety is another one when you drive yourself you don't hit the gas and then slam on the brakes for no apparent reason like most drivers do around here. Or weave in and out of lanes like a madman. Although it is always dangerous driving in Thailand this is the safer way to go.

3. Don't lend money. Lending money to people here is the kiss of death it will never be paid back and it will put a strain on any relationship. If you are going to give money just give it to them as a gift and write it off as a loss.

4. Speak the Language. This one is HUGE if you speak the language naturally you will have a better time because you will know whats going on. It also puts you at a advantage because you can listen quietly observing what is going on when everyone thinks you don't understand. Speaking the language saves you money and time in so many ways and is a definite must.

5. Remaining calm. It is always best to remain calm in even the most stressful and difficult times. Use your money as the ultimate weapon if the service is bad don't come back shop somewhere else. Tip for good service and give no tip for bad service.

6. Get in shape. Working out has so many advantages it is impossible to list them all. If you are a huge scary looking dude people don't want to mess with you and life is better as a result. Thieves and criminals are looking for the easy targets the little old ladies or the drunk tourists no one is going to mess with a huge ripped dude. Also isn't it better to not look like all the fat bar stool expats that drink all day.

7. Stay away from drama situations. Stay away from situations involved with family drama like my mom needs this or my dad has this problem. These are your problems call me or come on by when it is sorted out that's why I live alone.

8. Get a hobby. Having a hobby is a good thing we all like bars and women but really if you are here for a long time there is more to Thailand than that. Go on a road trip see the sights take up painting or play a instrument something that you like. Better than being a person that sits on a bar stool for his whole life.

9. Don't over stretch your finances. There is no need to buy things you can't afford like a brand new car just to flaunt your wealth just get something that is reliable and won't break down. I would be so worried driving a nice car in this country imagine having a Mercedes Benz and parking it somewhere I would be a constant worried wreck of someone leaning on it hitting it that it wouldn't be worth having it at all. Not to mention looking rich is not the smartest thing to do if you are trying to get a good price on something. Hey why 100 Baht and your driving a 80k car.

10. Remember its Thailand not your country. This is always good to remember Thailand is a great place but of course like anywhere in the world there are negatives don't expect anything to be like it is in the west. If you adopt this philosophy you will be a much happier person.

Dear OP,

You speaked exactly what my husband always says.:)

...as someone said to me - "argh! You have to have a child... why should you be Happy, all your life!"

(I don't particularly agree, but at present, my Son may...

Maybe a single man's guide to happy expat life in Thailand.

Seems rather a lonely existance to me.

I get the feeling of 'I am a Man, therefore I am an Island'

Each to their own.

That said, a well written OP.

That would depend on the job. What is available over here...seriously? Teaching, Food Service and Running Bars is not my idea of fun.

Work permits are required, and any business you do here has a good chance of losing money...at least for the first year...until you get a customer base.

Senior citizens can work at MacDonalds back home...they seem to enjoy it...but I would not.

As to not having to good a car ,yesterday i saw a guy driving a brand new Bently ,very slowly down Sukhumvit ,my first thought ,love it ,second thought ,never drive one on Thai roads,

I think roads are pretty good nowadays,main roads especially . Still remember gravel roads 20+ yrs ago.

Surin roads haasip haasip.

That would depend on the job. What is available over here...seriously? Teaching, Food Service and Running Bars is not my idea of fun.

Work permits are required, and any business you do here has a good chance of losing money...at least for the first year...until you get a customer base.

Senior citizens can work at MacDonalds back home...they seem to enjoy it...but I would not.

Teaching ain't the only gig in this town

I solved your #1 with a two storied house.

Top floor is mine with my food cabinet, all cooking tools, and my refrigerator. No one is to come up without permission. I help enforce that rule by never wearing any clothes upstairs. My tools are locked up and hobby room locked.

Wife and I enjoy upper floor and when she has her family duties, she goes downstairs.

Wife's extended family comes and goes like a circus on lower floor. TV is facing sound wall, they broke the stereo, they have a room with a door, too. Other kitchen downstairs.

I would not live alone due to cessation of service and for security of free-standing house. Separate building for family solves one-story house. Maybe condo living is different.

Driving myself wears me out. I am much happier getting a driver or just using taxi.

I would add Learn about Buddhism.

Nice list.

Don't fall in love. 99% all end badly, some after a month and some last 15 years but most Thai relationships are disastrous......oh but mine is different you say.........just wait a few more years my friend !

bloody hell I am a rare specimen being married almost 25yrs.to the same one,and she's not different,and you say I have to wait a few more yrs,I got f-all now so its not goner change.

you need even more income and savings thats the biggest change to being an expat in thailand

people can no longer keep surviving on less when the mist important to things on living in thailand are income and visas

you need even more income and savings thats the biggest change to being an expat in thailand

people can no longer keep surviving on less when the mist important to things on living in thailand are income and visas

Ya. I think the Retirement extension costs 5 baht a day.

didnt you guys of an older age also need 800k in a bank? so money does come into it or even if you are paying an agent you still need more money to be an expat in this country cant do it on the cheap unless you want to be a hermit ya

Ya. I think the Retirement extension costs 5 baht a day.

Funny thread.

5 baht a day for 1 year extension, as long as you having earnings of 2,137 baht per day. biggrin.png

5 bath a day for extension Marriage 1,315 per day earnings + wife's expenses. whistling.gif

Again 5 baht for marriage with 400,000 showed in bank account for 2 or 3 months depending where you live is cheapest 1,096 baht per day. biggrin.png