The Guide to Happy Expat Life in Thailand

For an expat to live in Thailand successfully, you need to learn how to walk backwards with your head buried up your arse, then you will fit right in with the locals.wai.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt you guys of an older age also need 800k in a bank? so money does come into it or even if you are paying an agent you still need more money to be an expat in this country cant do it on the cheap unless you want to be a hermit ya

thanks for that 800kbht.retirement extension,i put that in the bank and a bit more in case it went up,its been there 4yrs.so I should have made some interest.oh how I do love this place,best food,drink 3times the price of back home,the car was double,my dog has the best of everything,and not forgetting the wife,she eats rice and noodles,dont drink or smoke,in fact she's a pillar of the community.5months time she has her pension and a lump sum so you see humbug everything in the garden and the luxury house is rosie.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by meatboy

you need even more income and savings thats the biggest change to being an expat in thailand

people can no longer keep surviving on less when the mist important to things on living in thailand are income and visas

Ya. I think the Retirement extension costs 5 baht a day.

Funny thread.

5 baht a day for 1 year extension, as long as you having earnings of 2,137 baht per day. biggrin.png

5 bath a day for extension Marriage 1,315 per day earnings + wife's expenses. whistling.gif

Again 5 baht for marriage with 400,000 showed in bank account for 2 or 3 months depending where you live is cheapest 1,096 baht per day. biggrin.png

You pay immigration 1900 baht for a year extension based on retirement that works out to about 5 baht per day. Any other questions? You don't need to be earning any money. You have to have $25,000 in a Thai bank account for a few months per year; you don't have to earn it, you simply put it in a bank. The money can come from anywhere, a gift or inheritance or anything you don't have to earn it.

For an expat to live in Thailand successfully, you need to learn how to walk backwards with your head buried up your arse, then you will fit right in with the locals.wai.gif

Aww too easy. I'm sure you already knew how to do that from living in your countrybiggrin.png.

• Like 2

#2 I would never drive by myself long distance in LOS. Imagine running over someone's dog that was sleeping in the road, or, heaven forbid, running over 5 kids on a m'bike that just pulled out in front of you without looking. By myself, the problems would be huge, but with my wife, less so. Also, less likely to be "taken" at one of those checkpoints.

you need even more income and savings thats the biggest change to being an expat in thailand

people can no longer keep surviving on less when the mist important to things on living in thailand are income and visas

In 1992 a meal cost 20 baht. Now it costs 30 baht. That's hardly a huge increase in 22 years.

Of course if you want to eat in western style restaurants you will pay a lot more. Hup to you.

If you can't afford 1,900 baht for the yearly extension, you can't afford to live anywhere.

As a Newbie poster on ThaiVisa I decided to research older posts to answer the OP's question about how to have a happy life in Thailand.

So here's the definitive TV Guide to happiness in Thailand:

1. Only ever drive a Toyota Fortuna ... or at perhaps a Vigo

2. Ensure your wife is at least 50% Chinese and 100% HiSo

3. Tell at least two posters per day to 'learn the language' or 'go home' - even if the poster is Thai

4. Do not own, work on or even catch a passing glimpse of a farm

5. If your wife has any relatives - shoot them all

6. Wear full protective equipment on a motorbike even if you're only pootling down to 7-11 on your Fino

7. Never attempt to buy a house (or a Chevrolet)

8. Eat street food exclusively - except for the chicken .... and the prawns ... and avoid somtam of course

9. Never use tissue paper .... for anything

10. Never start a post on ThaiVisa about use of the word Ferang

11. Be careful not to accidentally fall face down on a passing Ladyboy as you will lose your passport

12. Don't buy anything made in China - unless it's an iPhone

Did I miss anything?