Cheaters and corrupt politicians may be banned from Thai politics for life

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like not only currupt politicians will be banned, but simply all politicians (members of political parties) and even the people will be banned from politcs. At least I did not see any participation of Thai people, neither in the interim constitution nor for the final Constitution. No popular vote.

Have I missed something?

So what planet are you from?

As for the fact that it 'aint a democracy', I would just like to point out that the West has the very same problem. OK politicians there don't buy votes directly, but they manipulate the public through the media in a way that is more and more accurate, efficient and wicked.

Whoever has the best com team but most of all the most money wins. There is no place whatsoever any more for the little, unexpected, and not rich candidate. It's true in North America, it's true in Europe and pretending that it doesn't exist is like pretending our wooden legs are real ones.

The problem didn't start last year either. Read 'The Assault on Reason' (*) by Al Gore and you will find his comments about media manipulation extremely up to date, even though it refers to the year 2000 when he ran for president against George W. Bush (and lost the election even though he had won the popular vote. Demockracy, that was).

Yes,...the democracy experiment is quickly reaching combustion stage in the West,....the USA is a good example,...anything positive their President attempts to do for the people is instantly rejected by the opposition,...not much different than the hate spewed by Suthep against Yingluck. at each and every Yellow Shirt rally.

The political hate in Thailand is quite surprising to me however,...Shakyamuni Buddha may have been the first to define freethought when he said in the Kalama Sutra, “Do not accept anything by mere tradition. . . Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. . . Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your preconceived notions.”   And yet, the Yellow Shirts went against this every day during their Bangkok protests.

Now,...Mr Suthep entered the Monks,...taking the name "the Enlightened One,"....don't know whether to laugh, or cry over those who believe in him.

So, who gets to say who's corrupt and who isn't?

Oh wait.... let me see.

it wouldn't happen to be a military nominated anti-graft committee would it?

Gee, what a good idea.

A sure fire way to ensure the military/elite/royalists finally get to cement their puppets into power.

Now no need to have elections, the Democrats will be in power for the next 50 years.

Nice try the commission has been going long before the army came on the scene.

Interesting thing about it is Yingluck cut their budget and the next year corruption increased 2%.

Do try to keep your ill founded fear of the army out of your statements. It will help you be more honest with the situation at hand.

• Like 1

As for the fact that it 'aint a democracy', I would just like to point out that the West has the very same problem. OK politicians there don't buy votes directly, but they manipulate the public through the media in a way that is more and more accurate, efficient and wicked.

Whoever has the best com team but most of all the most money wins. There is no place whatsoever any more for the little, unexpected, and not rich candidate. It's true in North America, it's true in Europe and pretending that it doesn't exist is like pretending our wooden legs are real ones.

The problem didn't start last year either. Read 'The Assault on Reason' (*) by Al Gore and you will find his comments about media manipulation extremely up to date, even though it refers to the year 2000 when he ran for president against George W. Bush (and lost the election even though he had won the popular vote. Demockracy, that was).

Yes,...the democracy experiment is quickly reaching combustion stage in the West,....the USA is a good example,...anything positive their President attempts to do for the people is instantly rejected by the opposition,...not much different than the hate spewed by Suthep against Yingluck. at each and every Yellow Shirt rally.

The political hate in Thailand is quite surprising to me however,...Shakyamuni Buddha may have been the first to define freethought when he said in the Kalama Sutra, “Do not accept anything by mere tradition. . . Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. . . Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your preconceived notions.”   And yet, the Yellow Shirts went against this every day during their Bangkok protests.

Now,...Mr Suthep entered the Monks,...taking the name "the Enlightened One,"....don't know whether to laugh, or cry over those who believe in him.

The problem in trying to compare the two is as you say any thing positive Obama tries to introduce the opposition immediately rejects it with out even considering it's merits.

Where as here in Thailand long before Suthep entered the scene it was many groups of private citizens rejecting the corrupt ideas put forth by Yingluck. Then Suthep came on the scene and united them.

Big difference.

But if you think it is the same and it makes you feel good go ahead and believe it. the facts won't change one iota no matter what you believe.

• Like 2

Maybe we have seen the last of Suthep and the Thaksins

There is only one Thaksin, thank Christ!!

Not really.  The NCPO smells an awful lot like Thaksins populist ideas,...the only difference is that the NCPO actually has the power to shut down the opposition,...in this case, the majority of the Thai people.  Whereas neither Thaksin nor Yingluck, who won landslide elections, could persuade the minority Bangkok elite from joining in with the prosperity.

I would completely agree with all political parties being disbanded and made to register as new parties after a suitable waiting period.  I think under the circumstances we have had it is also reasonable that all past ministers at least be not permitted to contest for 5 years.  This may put some new blood in the party but still enables competent people to contribute later if the people do want them.

Not sure if I agree with that. But it does offer some interesting opportunities for a revitalized Government.

There was representatives in the opposition that are very good and reputable that would work very well in a new government.

I find it hard to believe that when every party member votes to white wash Thaksin and others even though the others say no they are willing to face the charges that the representatives are very honorable. The good of Thaksin was the reason for their viote and counterproductive to the well being of Thailand. There kind is never needed in Government.

But I guess like the old saying goes you have to crack some eggs to make an omelet.

No prison term? Just a ban....... its about some hefty sentences were applied.

The problem is that a lot of them have been able to avoid the courts.

however, once they lose the political power the courts will be able to look after the legal issues seperately.

Where as here in Thailand long before Suthep entered the scene it was many groups of private citizens rejecting the corrupt ideas put forth by Yingluck. Then Suthep came on the scene and united them.

Big difference.

But if you think it is the same and it makes you feel good go ahead and believe it. the facts won't change one iota no matter what you believe.

Mr Suthep said he "hated" Yingluck, and would opposed everything she did, before she was elected (by landslide).  He went on, espousing hate for Yingluck.  Is that the "unity" you're speaking of?  

And what corrupt ideas are you talking about?  Replacing some agency positions?  With people that she can communicate better with.    Advancing a high-speed transportation system?   So to advance the prosperity of Thailand.

I've took some serious time in past 15 months inquiring about Mr Suthep, now the "Enlightened Monk," and have found no redeeming value in his every action, except the Bangkok elite.  Mr Suthep's tactics that I've observed over the past 15 months are pretty similar to the USA's Sen. Ted Cruz,....100% obstructionist.

The interim charter also sought to prevent an individual or a group of people from dominating the entire MPs of a party to the extent that they cannot think by themselves but have to be submissive to their boss, said Bovornsak.

I wonder who they might be thinking of?

RE ^: "I wonder who they might be thinking of?"

The Canadian Conservative-Reform Party Prime Minister, Steve Harper, and his minions, most probably.

Maybe we have seen the last of Suthep and the Thaksins

There is only one Thaksin, thank Christ!!

Not really.  The NCPO smells an awful lot like Thaksins populist ideas,...the only difference is that the NCPO actually has the power to shut down the opposition,...in this case, the majority of the Thai people.  Whereas neither Thaksin nor Yingluck, who won landslide elections, could persuade the minority Bangkok elite from joining in with the prosperity.

I would be interested to know how many or what percentage of the population is actually against the NCPO. I believe (maybe wrongly, but I don't think so) that the majority, including those in the North and North East are pro, or at least not anti NCPO. Not your village headmen, or heads of Or Bor Jor, Or Bor Tor, etc. but the man on the street or in the field.

There also needs to be a reworking of the party list MP system in Thailand. No ministerial positions should be given to party list members, yet Charlerm who had not won an election in years keeps popping up as a minister in government with no accountability to anyone but the party leader.
  • Like 2

There will be no politicians left. It would be great if corrupt police were dismissed instead of moved to another province too. But this statement comes out at the same time as a ruling reinstating the dismissed former police of chief - who coincidentally is the brother of the NCPO economy chief. End of corruption my ass.

Planet western democracy.

Er... what country has had twenty (20) miltary coups since "democracy" began?

Yes that's right it's Thailand.

Now it doesn't take a university don to work out that something is not quite right here.

Perhaps it's the continual military coups that are destroying any chance of a successful parliamentary democarcy ever evolving?

This ain't a western country, nor is it a democracy. Must be something about it you like, or like the rest of us, wouldn't be here. Lots of stuff you can do and opportunity you won't find elsewhere. Wanna turn this into Singapore, the US, it loses its magic and charm; yes?

I agree with you on this Gemini. Everytime I read a comment here that suggests introducing more rules, more taxes, more political correctness, in one word more West into this country - or the East in general - I cringe and wonder why people bother to expatriate if they can't help bringing their country in their suitcases and in their heads.

(*) The Assault on Reason. New York: Penguin. 2007. ISBN 1-59420-122-6.

Oh I agree...maybe Switzerland arguably democratic; and other than that, I draw a blank: where the word is but a marketing term to make people convince themselves they have power and freedom, when they're not....most of our homelands are ruled by oil companies and big banks who lobby, sure. And reps vote with more power in exchange for ordinary people. I love Ron Paul for instance, who is a real freedom lover, but reasonable people who love freedom aren't liked by insurance, pharma companies and financially dwarfed by big business huh? Things are tightening up here; but I actually liked when things were a little more loosened up and free for all; part of what attracted us mostly, isn't it? Rather than lands of the police states in overly developed places.......guess I'd take a Banana Republic over Gestapo states....you?

• Like 1

Planet western democracy.
Er... what country has had twenty (20) miltary coups since "democracy" began?
Yes that's right it's Thailand.
Now it doesn't take a university don to work out that something is not quite right here.
Perhaps it's the continual military coups that are destroying any chance of a successful parliamentary democarcy ever evolving?

This ain't a western country, nor is it a democracy. Must be something about it you like, or like the rest of us, wouldn't be here. Lots of stuff you can do and opportunity you won't find elsewhere. Wanna turn this into Singapore, the US, it loses its magic and charm; yes?

I agree with you on this Gemini. Everytime I read a comment here that suggests introducing more rules, more taxes, more political correctness, in one word more West into this country - or the East in general - I cringe and wonder why people bother to expatriate if they can't help bringing their country in their suitcases and in their heads.

(*) The Assault on Reason. New York: Penguin. 2007. ISBN 1-59420-122-6.

This is all very nice and quaint, but who exactly is going to educate the people to run the companies to provide you with your lifestyle.

This inane anti govt rhetoric when Thailand is a 2.5 world country with crap schools and a pothole every 5 ft is extremely boring.

So, who gets to say who's corrupt and who isn't?

Oh wait.... let me see.

it wouldn't happen to be a military nominated anti-graft committee would it?

Gee, what a good idea.

A sure fire way to ensure the military/elite/royalists finally get to cement their puppets into power.

Now no need to have elections, the Democrats will be in power for the next 50 years.

Awwwww! Nidums! Perhaps after the military give back to the people maybe, just maybe, there might be an "anti graft committee" made up of honest people.....remember them?? wink.pngwai.gif

Big difference.

Mr Suthep said he "hated" Yingluck, and would opposed everything she did, before she was elected (by landslide).  He went on, espousing hate for Yingluck.  Is that the "unity" you're speaking of?  

And what corrupt ideas are you talking about?  Replacing some agency positions?  With people that she can communicate better with.    Advancing a high-speed transportation system?   So to advance the prosperity of Thailand.

I've took some serious time in past 15 months inquiring about Mr Suthep, now the "Enlightened Monk," and have found no redeeming value in his every action, except the Bangkok elite.  Mr Suthep's tactics that I've observed over the past 15 months are pretty similar to the USA's Sen. Ted Cruz,....100% obstructionist.

Ted Cruz is a positive figure trying to challenge taking away of more freedoms, forced laws, infringing on people's liberties. If you don't have him or Rand Paul, it is just globalists running the show convincing everyone to step out of the way and shut up and go along with their scheme; some men have balls to stand up and say 'enough!!' Why would you not want characters like? Or is it better to be passive and convince yourself to accept whatever you are dealt, as the state tells you? Ted and Suthep are quite vastly different; but at least they are brave enough to voice it. 

Those were not merely BKK elite taking to the streets here; people of all classes fed up. You weren't here just a few months back?????

A speed train?!! Basic necessities aren't meant, low standard of living. Good start. Buy used cars, not new. Don't gamble. Finish school. First things first.

There also needs to be a reworking of the party list MP system in Thailand. No ministerial positions should be given to party list members, yet Charlerm who had not won an election in years keeps popping up as a minister in government with no accountability to anyone but the party leader.

Quite agree. There are definitely some honest politicians, probably around the same percentage as the population at large. However they have to kow-tow to the elite financier at the head of most parties here.

PTP, BJP, CTP etc are all run by dictatorial & corrupt power-crazy a-holes who are running their parties as a business - to make money.

If the new charter can mandate against that and allow the founding of real political parties with a genuine ideology and an internal democratic format - it might well attract more Thais with a less-corrupt (totally honest is asking too much) style of working for the country's benefit.

One can only be hopeful.

• Like 2

I wish Thailand all the best with this - having politicians who honestly reflect what the people who voted for them want would be a refreshing change in the UK and US never mind in Thailand

The reality is sadly that large business organasations - especially multi-nationals - will continue to run almost all countries simply because they have the power to make or break an economy.

Whatever you write into constitutions these people have the power to over ride in the real world of hard finance.  Governments need borrowing and investment all the time and this comes from businesses who only put their money where it will do them good. 

Anyone who considers that any one of the Thai political parties is less prone to corruption than the others needs a reality check.

the problem is that corruption extends way beyond the parties and is likely to include those charged with weeding out corruption. How will that work?

Quite agree. There are definitely some honest politicians, probably around the same percentage as the population at large. However they have to kow-tow to the elite financier at the head of most parties here.

PTP, BJP, CTP etc are all run by dictatorial & corrupt power-crazy a-holes who are running their parties as a business - to make money.

If the new charter can mandate against that and allow the founding of real political parties with a genuine ideology and an internal democratic format - it might well attract more Thais with a less-corrupt (totally honest is asking too much) style of working for the country's benefit.

One can only be hopeful.

"the founding of real political parties with a genuine ideology and an internal democratic format" - care to define that???

Don't conveniently forget that Ahbisit was a party list MP and he was a party leader with no accountability to anyone but himself. He was also instrumental in increasing the portion of party list which he think will benefit his party in an election.

One can only be hopeful.

The kow towing also extend to the Dem Party where the Thaugsuban family finance 1/3 of the party. Manifested in the business aspect related to the palm oil scandal and the Phuket land scam beside others corruption cases.

One can only be hopeful.

"the founding of real political parties with a genuine ideology and an internal democratic format" - care to define that???

I'll give you a brief definition by examples.

A political party with an ideology such as low taxation, privatisation, and less subsidies is one example. Another would be one increasing taxation, an anti-monopoly policy, and maintaining subsidies. In summary a right & a left of centre (yellows and reds for example). A centrist party could have some or none of the aforementioned policies.

A party that elects it's leader and other senior positions and reaches a consensus or a majority on it's platform. Internally democratic with no outside or topside dictation of policy.

• Like 1