uPVC COMPANIES

Chopper

Really! The joint can only be silicon?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I said an elastic substance.

Ok.. I have seen windows and frames fitted and finished with rubber strips and others using cork, which is extremely efficient.

Op. Check these guys. Never used them but looks interesting.

http://www.prime-asia.co.th/products/

Cork absorbs moist and would decompose over time I would think.

Bugger me that's were all me wine goes!!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by casualbiker

Cork absorbs moist and would decompose over time I would think.

Bugger me that's were all me wine goes!!!

Ok you got me there, however I have cork place mats for under glasses and they all break down over time.

A joint between the floor and frame has only one way to be closed, and that is using an elastic substance, sometimes also called silicone.

Always a pleasure to hear from someone I dont know from Adam, yet who knows the inside of my condo better than I do myself.
The joint to be filled when I finally get my doors replaced will be between 1 and 2 centimetres. I think that this will best be done with a hardwood strip (plus a bit of mastic on either side, of course) though a strip of some suitably coloured tile might do. Another solution might be an aluminium cover. But all this must be decided and settled before I order anything; it's one of the most important points as far as I'm concerned.

If you think the labor involved in installing high grade aluminium windows is the same as the with crap which is used here, then you've never seen the finished product in my opinion.

The fitting job is almost identical, though some extra time will be necessary for putting in the extra parts that the local frames dont have (seals etc). The basic way they are constructed does not change.

As for you comparing the price of the high grade aluminium windows here with the ones that you had installed in your home country, probably many years ago in the first place since you live in Thailand now, but were those also imported from the other side of the world ?

4 years ago; not so long. And that was in a country where VAT is three times higher than here and labour costs are about 8 times higher than here (incl tax and social security payments), and where all other business costs are much higher than here.
Where the raw materials came from is not relevant and nor are the actual prices in themselves. A comparison can be helpful even when there is a big difference between the items compared and their prices, always assuming one has the wit to appreciate what the differences are.

A joint between the floor and frame has only one way to be closed, and that is using an elastic substance, sometimes also called silicone.

Always a pleasure to hear from someone I dont know from Adam, yet who knows the inside of my condo better than I do myself.
The joint to be filled when I finally get my doors replaced will be between 1 and 2 centimetres. I think that this will best be done with a hardwood strip (plus a bit of mastic on either side, of course) though a strip of some suitably coloured tile might do. Another solution might be an aluminium cover. But all this must be decided and settled before I order anything; it's one of the most important points as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe you should get your facts straight then when you want to complain about the credibility of a company. What you are talking about is not a joint, it's called a gap and it isn't the job of window company to solve your construction issues .

Different issues require a different treatment.smile.png

Really! The joint can only be silicon?

I said an elastic substance.

Ok.. I have seen windows and frames fitted and finished with rubber strips and others using cork, which is extremely efficient.

Op. Check these guys. Never used them but looks interesting.

http://www.prime-asia.co.th/products/

Thanks, I will have a look. smile.png

I just had all my windows and doors replaced with UPVC by EuroPVC.

Very satisfied with their service. Their technical man (Barry) really knows his stuff; getting the design and sizing right is a whole lot more complex than I realised! They arrived on the planned date and completed on schedule, including making good any damage to the surrounds caused when the old units were removed. The new windows and doors seem to be very high quality. Satisfied customer.

Question please: Did you guys who've had UPVC done notice any significant reduction of outside noise?. The reason I ask is I live in a condo that fronts onto a road, it's not very noisy from the traffic but that might change in the future as Pattaya gets busier. So I was wondering about what (if any) difference UPVC might make. Thanks.

I had UPVC windows (ARC) in my old house and have recently installed UPVC in my new house (EuroPVC) Both fitments were 8.4 mm laminated glass. There is a very noticeable noise reduction when compared to the Thai style aluminium windows. The UPVC windows seal much more securely. In my old house they still looked new after 10 years. No yellowing, cracking or defects.
They are more costly than local style windows but far superior is every way.
  • Like 1

For the best noise reduction you should opt for an Insulated Glass Unit ( double glazing ).

Most common spec would be 6mm glass 9mm spacer 5mm glass. Other specs may suit your needs better.

With or without an inert gas ( argon is most widely used ).

Always opt for a casement design not a sliding one for the best results in reducing noise.

I own a window company over in Phuket so feel free to pm if you have any specific questions.

We dont supply to Pattaya so reckon its fine to post as just offering some technical advice if any pattaya members need it.

No commercial gain for me here.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I will be placing my order with ARC. That said I was also impressed with EuroPVC. 

As N47HAN said IG units are good for noise reduction.  I have opted for 6-12-6mm glass with Argon and low E glass for less sun penetration.

Pdaz, is there any particular reason why you used ARC ten years ago and are now switching to Euro PVC?

Edit: changed font size.

Edited by Chopper

No reason. I was very happy with ARC's product and installation. I still use them for servicing and installing A/C's. Decision to go with Euro was due to schedule and convenience at the time. They both offer a similar product and quality installation.

Hi chopper , just check your glazing , its not ideal to have the same thickness of glass on interior and exterior paynes.

It can act as a "drum" and reverberate the noise , info freely availiable on the net for ideal spec .

• Like 1

Hi chopper , just check your glazing , its not ideal to have the same thickness of glass on interior and exterior paynes.

It can act as a "drum" and reverberate the noise , info freely availiable on the net for ideal spec .

Thanks N47HAN I will follow up on this. smile.png

Question please: Did you guys who've had UPVC done notice any significant reduction of outside noise?. The reason I ask is I live in a condo that fronts onto a road, it's not very noisy from the traffic but that might change in the future as Pattaya gets busier. So I was wondering about what (if any) difference UPVC might make. Thanks.

Yes most definitely, our installation consists of  two pains of glass separated by a 12mm gap. This option is not cheap, but well worth it, don't hear much from outside in-fact sometimes its to quiet!!