Moving to Thailand, which visa should we start with?

Hi guys,

I am a 23 yr old Canadian and my boyfriend is 26 yr old South African with a Netherlands passport. We lived and taught English in Phuket just over a year ago and got by on renewing tourist visas for that year. Now that I hear they are cracking down on that I'm not sure which is the best visa to enter the country with. 

We are travelling to Thailand in Oct and plan on staying indefinitely (just depends on how the work goes). The only option I know of is the ED visa, which would be fine because we would enjoy learning Thai, however, it would be a big upfront cost and if we ended up landing jobs which offered us visas allowing us to stay, it would be a bit of a waste. I'm not sure how long we could stay in the country on a tourist visa now. I have heard that it is better to apply for an ED visa while we are in Canada - or else I would just worry about the ED visa when I'm there.

So to sum up, I'm not sure whether we should apply for the ED visa now, or just enter Thailand on a tourist visa and figure it out there.

Thanks for any advice smile.png

Apply for a single or double entry Tourist Visa, allows a 60 day stay on each entry and can get 30 day extensions for 1900 Baht. If you find employment, you can apply for work permits, and you can exit and apply for Non-Immigrant "B" Visas, then be able to complete the work permit issue.

I would not work without a work permit, that and abusing the visa situation, is what helped produce the current situation.

• Like 1

You can still use tourist visas to enter the country and use the additional entries if you have a 2 or 3 entry visa. That has not changed.

If you do find legal work and get work permits you can then got out and get non-b visa and then extensions of stay.

If entering on a tourist visa would they need to show a return ticket to prove they are in fact tourists? Or explain that they are looking for legal work/work permit therefore only have a one way?

I'm in a similar situation myself.

If entering on a tourist visa would they need to show a return ticket to prove they are in fact tourists? Or explain that they are looking for legal work/work permit therefore only have a one way?

I'm in a similar situation myself.

A return or onward ticket is not required for a tourist visa. Some embassies and consulates will ask for them to issue the visa.

We are travelling to Thailand in Oct and plan on staying indefinitely (just depends on how the work goes)

to me it is a bad plan.

but you can try to find a company who want to employ you first , bring a milionair business of your own, or you also can wait until 50 years old to get a retirment visa

coffee1.gif

The OP is just the sort of person that the crackdown is aiming at.

" We lived and taught English in Phuket just over a year ago and got by on renewing tourist visas for that year."

Get yourself legal or don't come, its as simple as that.

Have to agree, spent a year here working ilegally  without paying taxes or social....quality tourist....and not only that intends on doing it again.bah.gif

• Like 2

Every time I'm surprised that Thai visa seem to have all the fine and law abiding high standing foreigners. Exactly the kind Thailand so deeply longing for. Come on guys. they are young, Don't tell me you never did anything abroad when you were traveling? I know I did. Working for your money isn't so bad. let's not forget a lot of Thai are happy with us. The state schools come in mind, asking us if we want to teach English And of course they say it will never be a problem.

Have to say that I'm lucky to have a visa. But when I was a lot younger I wouldn't have bothered for other than a tourist visa. simply to do with the fact that I never knew where I would end up.

Sorry guys, I didn't actually explain the full situation since I didn't think everyone would get so hot headed over this since most foreigners I knew in Thailand have extended their tourist visas more than once.. but anyways:

I actually DID work legally with a non-immigrant b visa. I don't have a degree in anything (just TESOL certified) so I'm still not sure whether me actually getting the visa was legal, but my school organized all of that for me. My boyfriend on the other hand was working illegally, renewing his tourist visa every 3 months. He has a degree and worked at a nice international school who has over 200 foreign staff, yet they never seemed to have the time to do the visa paperwork for him. The reason why we left Thailand was because of how awfully his school treated him and the other foreign teachers. 

I did not mention this because I just want to know that there is still a back up plan, since renewing tourist visas is no longer one. We all know some things don't happen as precisely or timely as they often should in Thailand, so we just want to be prepared for that. We don't want to work illegally and intend to find jobs which will offer us work permits / visas. 

Thank you beechguy and ubonjoe for clearing that up, that's what we plan to do for the first couple months.

dutchinlondon, good response

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I didn't actually explain the full situation since I didn't think everyone would get so hot headed over this since most foreigners I knew in Thailand have extended their tourist visas more than once.. but anyways:

I actually DID work legally with a non-immigrant b visa. I don't have a degree in anything (just TESOL certified) so I'm still not sure whether me actually getting the visa was legal, but my school organized all of that for me. My boyfriend on the other hand was working illegally, renewing his tourist visa every 3 months. He has a degree and worked at a nice international school who has over 200 foreign staff, yet they never seemed to have the time to do the visa paperwork for him. The reason why we left Thailand was because of how awfully his school treated him and the other foreign teachers. 

I did not mention this because I just want to know that there is still a back up plan, since renewing tourist visas is no longer one. We all know some things don't happen as precisely or timely as they often should in Thailand, so we just want to be prepared for that. We don't want to work illegally and intend to find jobs which will offer us work permits / visas. 

Thank you beechguy and ubonjoe for clearing that up, that's what we plan to do for the first couple months.

Not sure where your from in Canada but in Vancouver I went to the Thai consulate last year and asked for a visa application and filled in that I wanted a $180. dollar Cdn, one year visa. It asked for my flight # and I asked how would I know that? The lady answered just put the Airline name in. Money question anwered honestly and away I went with a one year multiple entry visa

The high and mighty will blame anything except the disfunctional visa system itself for the recent crackdown. It's a blame the victim mentality.

At least being as perfect as they are gives us all something to work towards. Edited by BudRight
  • Like 2

Not sure where your from in Canada but in Vancouver I went to the Thai consulate last year and asked for a visa application and filled in that I wanted a $180. dollar Cdn, one year visa. It asked for my flight # and I asked how would I know that? The lady answered just put the Airline name in. Money question anwered honestly and away I went with a one year multiple entry visa

Do you think you got the one year visa kind of by chance, or is this something I've just never heard of? I'm actually in Vancouver, so thanks for the advice I'll definitely give that a go!

Do you think you got the one year visa kind of by chance, or is this something I've just never heard of? I'm actually in Vancouver, so thanks for the advice I'll definitely give that a go!

He may have "forgot" to mention his age and financial means. One needs to be older than 50 and a given capital and/or income.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=121

It is one of the choices on the form and that is what I asked for and received.

He may have "forgot" to mention his age and financial means. One needs to be older than 50 and a given capital and/or income.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=121

No age or monetary means was brought up. Just paid the money and picked up PP next day.

• The Consulate will consider Non-Immigrant Visa applications on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.

No age or monetary means was brought up. Just paid the money and picked up PP next day.

No way a young person can walk into an embassy/consulate and tell them he/she like to have a one year visa. Based on nothing and without any qualifying at all. And then get a one year multiple entry visa.

Check out O.E.G. if you have a degree they will place you in a school (not your boyfriend, wrong nationality) then at least one of you is legal. He can then look at government schools in the area who will be desperate for a NNES as no one else will work there (government school directors have discretion to sign a letter to get teachers outside the regulations)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• The Consulate will consider Non-Immigrant Visa applications on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.

are you saying you got a multi entry Non-O in Vancouver just by asking? How old are you? do you have family you were visiting?

if not , what was the "other activity"?

Purpose of Visit:

• To conduct business, or to work (Category “B”)
  • To study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour , to participate in projects or seminars , to attend a conference or training course (Category "ED")
  • To visit family (Category “O”)
  • To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)
  • To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned
  • To perform official duties (Category “F”)
  • Other activities (Category "O")
Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

Apply for a single or double entry Tourist Visa, allows a 60 day stay on each entry and can get 30 day extensions for 1900 Baht. If you find employment, you can apply for work permits, and you can exit and apply for Non-Immigrant "B" Visas, then be able to complete the work permit issue.

I would not work without a work permit, that and abusing the visa situation, is what helped produce the current situation.

I agree. I came on this basis and then got a non immigrant "O" Visa ( must apply out of the country) and applied for a retirement Visa while in Thailand. For your situation a double entry tourist Visa of 60 days would allow you to stay up to 6 months. If you cannot find legal work in that period of time, it is unlikely you will find work. Do not attempt to stay long term without a work Visa. They are NOT allowing tourist Visa runs. So many illegals have stayed this way. I do not see many farangs lately.  Farangs are now selling businesses. Perhaps that is one option for you. Get a business Visa and start an English school. If you are young, white and fluently English success could be yours. Many Thais send their children after school to be tutored in English. 

I would ask your friendly consulate or embassy. If you come first to assess the situation consult the Thai immigration. I have found them to be friendly and helpful. Take a thai friend who is fluent in English and Thai - perhaps a prospective employee. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody will employ you legally because they have to pay you at least 60000 bahts/month.

Teachers are exempt.

Sure, they are illegal!

No. Teachers come under the education act which does not specify a minimum wage. Only bitcoins are illegal in Thailand :-D