The Gems Gallery Pattaya

sotsira

Also known as the largest jewellery store in the world, situated on North Pattaya Rd.

Would like to know from anyone who has visited or purchased jewellery from there

what there thoughts and experience were of the place.

My main concern is that i'm aware of all the jewellery shop scams taking place in Bangkok

selling low grade gem jewellery at over inflated prices claiming to be something that their

not, and after purchase the unfortunate buyers appraise their purchase to find out their value

is a fraction of the price that they paid.

Your thoughts kindly appreciated.

I went to one of those large Gem buildings in Pattaya a few years ago.I don't think you will get scammed in as much as you will be told the truth about the gemstones you are buying. You will however pay far more than the market rate for those stones.

If you want to buy gemstones and jewellery the best place to go is where the traders go i.e. Jewellery Trade Centre (Galleria entrance) on Silom Road, Bangkok, next to the Holiday Inn.

Don't blindly believe that everybody there is ripping you off. These are established long term businesses and traders from round the world buy and sell there. You can buy at near wholesale prices much cheaper than high street jewellers.(and much much cheaper than Pattaya)

I was in there a few weeks ago with my wife, she was looking at diamond rings. I questioned their authenticity so the lady went off to get the Certification for the ring in question. They let me take a photo of the certificate so I could follow-up the supplier in Antwerp.

Not everywhere is a rip-off in Thailand but I agree you do have to be careful

Their prices are very high compared to what I could get in the U.S...

Their guarantee is a piece of shit. I bought my GF a ring and she wanted to trade it for something else. More double talk and bullshit than you would believe... Bottom line if you buy something you are stuck with it...

Who mentioned guarantee? I spoke about authenticity and it's from Antwerp, one of the homes of diamonds.

All products have a profit margin, if you don't like your car does a dealer give you the same price you paid for it? Some won't even offer you a deal, I know, I worked for both car and motorbike dealerships.

I don't know of any jewellery shops in the UK that would let you exchange a diamond ring for something of the same or similar retail value, if you try to swap almost any product you're going to get trade value.

That's not the fault of the seller, it's business.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please allow me to give all some advice on jewellery.

All have at least the same mark up some more where/however you buy it, by the time you have paid out your hard earned cash you will be left with something that's worth at best less than 20% resale of what you paid. That's if you know what your doing.

The average Joe knows squat all about quality of stones. EG. Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a Columbian Blue sapphire and an Australian one, ones worth twice as much as the other, so could be as low as 5% once you have been taken in by all the sales talk.

Don't trust any jeweller their so called guarantee is just a bit of paper ok to put in the loo.

Have I been in these stores yes but just to see how the other half works. Must say they do look the part.

How much does it cost to run a place like this ??? now there's a thought.

What do I know well I spent many years in the jewellery manufacturing trade in Hatton garden London so am not a beginner at the game.

Saying all this Gold is good value in Thailand you could even make a small amount of monies if you buy right and the world price? go's up. That's if you keep it yourself and not give it to the Good lady then it's all a goner.

Edited by fredob43

• 4 weeks later...

Who mentioned guarantee? I spoke about authenticity and it's from Antwerp, one of the homes of diamonds.

All products have a profit margin, if you don't like your car does a dealer give you the same price you paid for it? Some won't even offer you a deal, I know, I worked for both car and motorbike dealerships.

I don't know of any jewellery shops in the UK that would let you exchange a diamond ring for something of the same or similar retail value, if you try to swap almost any product you're going to get trade value.

Using the value certificate to swap proved to be a bit of a trap this week at World Gem. We were thinking of swapping my wife's diamond ring for one with a larger diamond. We bought it there in 2009. It turned out that my wife's ring valued on the certificate at 131K in 2009 would now cost over 200K to replace at today's retail prices... so we would have lost about 70K right off the bat just to replace it. There's no way diamonds have gone up that much in 5 years.

I know I go on record on this forum back in 2008 as saying World Gem is the place to go, but I'm now retracting that and saying don't go there under any circumstances, or any of the other big jewelry stores. They've had all their staff on half salary since the coup and their overheads are astronomical, as are their markups.

After researching the diamond (and ring) industry and learning a lot more about diamonds I feel a reputable online store is probably the way to go if you want a good deal... and the choices are far greater too. If you are going to spend a lot of money on diamonds bigger than 0.50 carats, you need to do your homework.

I have a question I'd like to ask here. Has anyone here bought diamonds or diamond rings online and had them shipped to Thailand. I believe customs duty is 20% on jewelry plus 7% VAT. Even paying that, it's still much cheaper than buying here and you will get the Internationally recognized certificates and diamonds with laser markings to prove it eg GIA

Also, has anyone ever had lose cut diamonds set in a ring here in Thailand. If so, where did you go?

Edited by tropo

One post removed:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

If you like to experience a constant hard-selling from one of the dozends of sales-persons, then it is the right place for you. Concerning the jewellery/products; you will not be scamed, the gems are real, and the products are what they are sold for. However, the prices are ways too high, so not recommendable for a value purchase.

Also, has anyone ever had lose cut diamonds set in a ring here in Thailand. If so, where did you go?

Not sure about Pattaya, but in Bangkok go to the Jewellery Trade Centre, Silom Road next to the Holiday Inn.

Ask around to find somebody to set your diamonds. I have had many stones (not diamond though) set in rings and the cost can vary from 30 baht up depending on size, setting and who you find.

You can also buy blank rings, and also have rings cast from wax moulds. Many designs to choose from the many shops in the centre.

This is the legitimate centre of Bangkok's jewellery trade so prices are very good (trade prices) and very unlikely that you will get ripped off!

PM me if you want the name of a long established gem dealer in the JTC. He does not do jewellery work himself but he (and his daughter) are very helpful and will point you in the right direction.

Gems in Thailand are essentially worthless.

Actually gems all over the world have little value, unless you are the one digging them out of the ground or marketing them.

PS

When you get YOUR diamond set in Thailand, they often swap your real gem for a fake gem.

PPS

Watch out for hustlers offering you names or advice, the only worthwhile advice is, don't do it.

(purchasing gold and silver is much safer)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

PPS

Watch out for hustlers offering you names or advice, the only worthwhile advice is, don't do it.

Unfortunately there's only so much Thai gold (96.5%) a lady can wear and it doesn't "cure" their fascination for diamonds.smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Good point about the possible risk of having gems switched for lower grade or fake.

Edited by tropo

• 9 months later...

Gems in Thailand are essentially worthless.

Actually gems all over the world have little value, unless you are the one digging them out of the ground or marketing them.

PS

When you get YOUR diamond set in Thailand, they often swap your real gem for a fake gem.

PPS

Course they are :/ Seems like a very odd statement as people from all over the world come here and make money on gemstones. Have you got burnt by any chance?

Using the value certificate to swap proved to be a bit of a trap this week at World Gem. We were thinking of swapping my wife's diamond ring for one with a larger diamond. We bought it there in 2009. It turned out that my wife's ring valued on the certificate at 131K in 2009 would now cost over 200K to replace at today's retail prices... so we would have lost about 70K right off the bat just to replace it. There's no way diamonds have gone up that much in 5 years.

I know I go on record on this forum back in 2008 as saying World Gem is the place to go, but I'm now retracting that and saying don't go there under any circumstances, or any of the other big jewelry stores. They've had all their staff on half salary since the coup and their overheads are astronomical, as are their markups.

After researching the diamond (and ring) industry and learning a lot more about diamonds I feel a reputable online store is probably the way to go if you want a good deal... and the choices are far greater too. If you are going to spend a lot of money on diamonds bigger than 0.50 carats, you need to do your homework.

I have a question I'd like to ask here. Has anyone here bought diamonds or diamond rings online and had them shipped to Thailand. I believe customs duty is 20% on jewelry plus 7% VAT. Even paying that, it's still much cheaper than buying here and you will get the Internationally recognized certificates and diamonds with laser markings to prove it eg GIA

There is a diamond setter in soi 16(?) opposite the old firebrigade and just past the (Hindu?) temple.

ooops just notice that someone dug up a 1 year old thread.

Edited by Anthony5