Do you wear motorbike protection and does it really help?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having a serious accident last year where a drunk driver cut out in front of me and then hit and run ,ill say use your gear if you have it ,if i wasnt wearing decent gear i would not be typing this right now .

• Like 2

Used to wear all the leathers including boots/gauntets back in good ole uk, why bc need protection if your risking speeds of ton plus didnt  mind if i got a ticket with speeding but safety and keeping out of hospital if  you happen to have a run in with a idiot motorist btw i have both licences and have respect for bikers knowing what it's like when you have to think for the other drivers for the sake of not ending up on the tarmac.

But here no protection but go out of my way to keep clear of others.

Blue Jeans for the road rash. Long sleeves and 3/4 helmet for the sun. Heavy boots for the job they do. Bikini panties to keep the package up front.

Flip flops don't work in rice fields and they don't work trying to push a 400 kg bike. They are just cheap.

Just can't do gloves. Hands are used to the sun now.

This is for 8-10 hour days. For a short local ride. Short sleeves, blue jeans because the bike is HOT. and the boots. Helmet is optional. I do not dress as if expecting a crash. If I do, I hope it's bad enough to kill me.

I have two riding modes; either the run down to the coffee shop where I am on an Airblade and don't go fast enough to put out my ciggie or 180+ km rides.  Nothing in between.  On the scooter I just hop on with what I am wearing (most I'll have to do is dodge around some pot holes as I'm in the sticks) but on the 'big' bike I'll wear my full face, textile trousers and jacket, and some Sidi boots (if I'm feeling it).  I am hit or miss on the gloves as I have odd shaped hands and all the different pairs I have tried are just a PITA to put on.

City: Gloves and full face helmet in the city, moderately protective shoes, long jeans - this isn't good riding gear but it's the compromise that works for me. If I ever find a nice and cool and light protective jacket, I might add that back in.

I had a Yellowcorn jacket like that - very small, but with armor, and not hot. It was not hotter wearing the jacket than wearing a t-shirt. But it's too old now, and I was wearing it on both my crashes so it'g got some holes. This jacket wouldn't satisfy gear geeks and probably wouldn't work in high speed race track crashes, but it did work well for me! Any gear is better than none. Got some other textile jackets but they are all huge and bulky - too much for day to day riding especially as my bike doesn't have storage. I guess these could work if you have a large top box so you can store gear when parked. Lesson learned: Not all textile jackets are created equal!

Touring: Leather jacket and a prototype of a new textile pant which is made from some indestructible material. It'll pass EU level 2 abrasion testing. And boots, helmet, gloves, the whole 9 yards. 

Decision for touring is very easy as it's not only safer, it's also much more comfortable touring in good gear. 

I'm still looking for a perfect city jacket and a city helmet, real touring gloves. The quest for better gear never ends. 

Edited by nikster

a prototype of a new textile pant which is made from some indestructible material. It'll pass EU level 2 abrasion testing.

Care to share more info on these ?  I am also in the market.

Thanks
  • Like 1

Dress for an accident , sorry , but one day you will have one. Protection works best when worn !.

No offense, but if that's your approach: one day you will have an accident for sure. Then i am not surprised you will have one.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In theory - for city riding a Textport ventilated jacket, kevlar jeans, short S/S biking boots and ventilated Taichi leather gloves. I wear a light running shirt under the jacket to improve heat and sweat loss. Full face moto style helmet for max airflow.

In practice I leave the jacket zip undone when riding on Sukhumvit Road as it's so damn hot due to the heat pushed out by the cars. I suspect an undone jacket makes the back protection useless and of course my front is unprotected - but boiling my internals must also be a health risk.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On the little bike just a full face helmet, flip flops. t-shirt. Long distance on the little bike I add bicycle gloves and shoes. On the big bike it's always shoes, gloves and full face helmet. Long rides it's full riding gear and protection.

I have had one big off on the big bike when a cement truck u-turned in front of me and I binned it into some bushes and grass at about 70kph in order to not end up splattered. I had full riding gear and got away with some aches, pains, and a slightly sprained ankle.

Agree with most of what you say there Joe but with the exception of flip flop's, came off a moped a few years back and took the skin off my toes and it was absolutely debilitating, no more riding in flip flops for me once was definitely enough....

You disagree that a wear flip flops. I assure you it's true!  ;)

Yes, I am not advocating that, but it does happen. I can't say that I haven't ridden short distances on the Ninja650 in flip flops. No good that.

I wish I could find some pants I'm prepared to wear in the heat and rain (I actually like riding in the rainy season). I brought my Kevlar jeans over when I came a few years back, but they've never been worn. Too heavy and hot.

On other clothes I go with most opinion here. Around town on the scooter an open face helmet, whatever clothes I've got on, and a pair of closed toe sandals - minimal foot protection, but minimal speeds too.

Touring or long rides I always wear quality gear, but a bit lighter than I wore back home because of the heat. So, a full face helmet. Textile jacket (my old Dri-rider is a lightweight mesh, so doesn't get too hot). Good gloves!!. Lightweight Proforma boots - a compromise between protection and being able to walk when I get somewhere.

• Like 1

Dress for an accident , sorry , but one day you will have one. Protection works best when worn !.

No offense, but if that's your approach: one day you will have an accident for sure. Then i am not surprised you will have one.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ignoring safety only one thing is a dead certainty.

In answer to the thread title....rarely, yes.

I rarely wear my gear though I believe that yes protective gear does reduce the likely hood and severity of injuries if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident.

The reason I rarely wear my gear now is because of convenience/comfort and because of my own assessment of my accident risk and injury potential. Currently my only bike is a Honda click and I only drive it on back roads near our home at relatively low speeds (very rarely do I get over 60km/hr). I know about the stats regarding accidents and proximity to your home and I am aware that you can die or be seriously injured in low speed crashes but this is how I choose to do things. Personally I am more worried about getting killed by the stupid, slippery tile in the bathroom of my condo than I am about farting around on the click with no gear. I don't plan on wearing my helmet in the shower either.

I hope to buy a larger bike soon and once I do I will start to wear my gear much more often. I am not suggesting that my practices are good for others to emulate I am just stating what I generally do.

Always full face, no matter what bike. And generally I always wear boots, on a big bike the heat of the engine goes through jeans and burns my legs far too easily, boots protect from that and keep my legs cooler. Long rides I only wear full kit regardless of heat, it's not as bad as you think unless you are stuck in traffic. I've got some pretty nasty scars with kit on, I dread to think if I was not wearing it, it's a no brainer

I am just now buying a summer jacket and pants here in Europe, I guess I will bring them to Thailand then

Are you bringing your helmet with you to Thailand?  Or you just buy one in Thailand?

I do not rely on thos stupid helmets that come with rented scooters btw. 

I have been riding scooters for like alltogether 10 years, not even one accident, but getting a bigger bike I will definately use gear for longer trips...

I am buying REVIT airwave btw.......but I have seen Taichi has some good summer models too, but I cant get them here in Europe

In answer to the thread title....rarely, yes.

I rarely wear my gear though I believe that yes protective gear does reduce the likely hood and severity of injuries if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident.

The reason I rarely wear my gear now is because of convenience/comfort and because of my own assessment of my accident risk and injury potential. Currently my only bike is a Honda click and I only drive it on back roads near our home at relatively low speeds (very rarely do I get over 60km/hr). I know about the stats regarding accidents and proximity to your home and I am aware that you can die or be seriously injured in low speed crashes but this is how I choose to do things. Personally I am more worried about getting killed by the stupid, slippery tile in the bathroom of my condo than I am about farting around on the click with no gear. I don't plan on wearing my helmet in the shower either.

I hope to buy a larger bike soon and once I do I will start to wear my gear much more often. I am not suggesting that my practices are good for others to emulate I am just stating what I generally do.

Try thinking this way, you can use non slippery tiles or non slippery plastic bases for your bathroom and at least wear a half face helmet and closed shoes while riding your bike and happily live away from danger!

I cannot promise much but one company that I work with is thinking of developing jeans trousers, and other denim clothing that would protect motorcycle riders more than the average clothing while not costing much more than an average jeans or jacket you by at any shopping mall.

I love to to hear what people think about this...?

To be clear this will never be a replacement of real motorcycle protective clothing, it gives protection to the average budget Thai rider...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

I cannot promise much but one company that I work with is thinking of developing jeans trousers, and other denim clothing that would protect motorcycle riders more than the average clothing while not costing much more than an average jeans or jacket you by at any shopping mall.

To be clear this will never be a replacement of real motorcycle protective clothing, it gives protection to the average budget Thai rider...

I am all over it provided it provides some minimal protection, is not too hot, not too uncomfortable and it doesn't make me look like even more of a tool.Price is no object, I would pay 10,000 baht or more for pants/trousers that meet my criteria.

I think it's a little too vague to be able to really have much of an opinion. To be fair, this whole field of riding jeans is vague to begin with, some weave kevlar fibres into the denim, some provide extra layers, with knee protectors or without. A few brands also started CE certifying their jeans but not all. Generally speaking it's hard (at least for me) to be able to compare products and tell which ones actually do what they say they do.

Does the average budget Thai rider means the scooter masses or bigger bikes? The scooter masses will always be a hard sell, primarily because of awareness/education.

Overall, as usual, more options are always good. The challenge is providing, and proving, protection while still making the jeans looks relatively "normal" and at a reasonable price point.