At least 100 military in NLA: source

Lite Beer

If someone here posts "the military have indeed neglected their duties, that much is certain without doubt" should I really have to believe him? The next poster wrote "really what we are alluding to is quite obvious". 

Should I have to ask the military "well, this TVF member Sjakie said this and others told me it's true but cannot be explained. Could you military guys please explain to me?"

It's like former Pheu Thai spokesperson Promphon with his "I accuse you of this or that, please prove me wrong".

The big question here is why you want Sjakie to explain in the first place.

Do you actually believe the purpose and their duty is to stage a coup ? Or are their duties maybe to defend the country, be of assistance to the democratically elected government of the kingdom and Ensure the rights of Thai citizens are not being violated. I personally believe the latter to be their actual purpose and duty.

You beat me to it, and said it very well.  Good job.

Clear and utter manure of the finest flavour.

if someone writes "the military have indeed neglected their duties, that much is certain without doubt" I would assume they are both able and willing to clarify why that is 'certain' and beyond doubt'. It would seem that that is only the case for some 'real' believers who like to state that obviously all be clear in this.

As it is it seems there is a clear reluctance to discuss the topic of 100 military in the NLA. Maybe because innuendo is so much more fun and much safer under the current circumstances?

BTW after seven months of 'unrest' and for us in Bangkok near nightly cowardly attacks with guns and grenades on anti-government protesters, the last two and a half months have been a return to normal life.Somehow normal Thai are very happy with the end of the political shenanigans. Pity that a few foreign posters cannot agree with that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone here posts "the military have indeed neglected their duties, that much is certain without doubt" should I really have to believe him? The next poster wrote "really what we are alluding to is quite obvious". 

Should I have to ask the military "well, this TVF member Sjakie said this and others told me it's true but cannot be explained. Could you military guys please explain to me?"

It's like former Pheu Thai spokesperson Promphon with his "I accuse you of this or that, please prove me wrong".

The big question here is why you want Sjakie to explain in the first place.

Do you actually believe the purpose and their duty is to stage a coup ? Or are their duties maybe to defend the country, be of assistance to the democratically elected government of the kingdom and Ensure the rights of Thai citizens are not being violated. I personally believe the latter to be their actual purpose and duty.

if someone writes "the military have indeed neglected their duties, that much is certain without doubt" I would assume they are both able and willing to clarify why that is 'certain' and beyond doubt'. It would seem that that is only the case for some 'real' believers who like to state that obviously all be clear in this.

As it is it seems there is a clear reluctance to discuss the topic of 100 military in the NLA. Maybe because innuendo is so much more fun and much safer under the current circumstances?

BTW after seven months of 'unrest' and for us in Bangkok near nightly cowardly attacks with guns and grenades on anti-government protesters, the last two and a half months have been a return to normal life.Somehow normal Thai are very happy with the end of the political shenanigans. Pity that a few foreign posters cannot agree with that.

To some people it is obvious that the duty of the military is to defend the country, not govern it.  Apparently you're not one of them.  What do you think the duty of the military is?

Because of censorship some topics must be dealt with using innuendo.  If you don't like that you should present your objections to censorship to the NCPO. The topic of continued military rule by having 100 military in the NLA is what is being discussed. 

Once again you suggest that all violence was directed against the anti-government protesters, with the protesters doing nothing wrong.  That is clear and utter manure.  But I'm sure the streets of Bangkok are much more peaceful under martial law and military rule, just as the streets of Berlin were peaceful under Nazi rule and the streets of Pyongyang are peaceful now. 

To some people it is obvious that the duty of the military is to defend the country, not govern it.  Apparently you're not one of them.  What do you think the duty of the military is?

Because of censorship some topics must be dealt with using innuendo.  If you don't like that you should present your objections to censorship to the NCPO. The topic of continued military rule by having 100 military in the NLA is what is being discussed. 

Once again you suggest that all violence was directed against the anti-government protesters, with the protesters doing nothing wrong.  That is clear and utter manure.  But I'm sure the streets of Bangkok are much more peaceful under martial law and military rule, just as the streets of Berlin were peaceful under Nazi rule and the streets of Pyongyang are peaceful now. 

The military have the duty to defend the country and to some it is obvious that that's precisely what they've been doing by stepping in late May this year.

Of course there are those who think the government should have used the military to help defend it, but those are maybe the same people who condemned the Abhisit government for using the military and Abhisit c.s didn't even have full cooperation of the Police Force, like the Yingluck government had.

Anyway, 100 military in the NLA, even without your say in things.

I guess article 8 of the interim constitution come to bear. Mind you, the statement that politicians would not be able to stand for election for three years after having been a member of the NLA may also limit the number of 'well known' names. Pheu Thai party spoke against joining the NLA if I remember correctly.

Section 8. A member of the National Legislative Assembly shall not be under the prohibitions as follows:

(1) being or having been a person holding any position in a political party within three years prior to the date of appointment as a member of the National Legislative Assembly;
(2) being a Buddhist priest, novice, monk or clergy;
(3) being bankrupt or having been dishonestly bankrupt;
(4) having been under suspension of the right to vote;
(5) having been expelled, dismissed or removed from official service, State agency or State enterprise on the grounds of dishonest performance of duties or deemed as having committed dishonest acts or malfeasance in official service;
(6) having been ordered by a judgment or an order of the Court that his assets shall vest in the State on the grounds of unusual wealth or an unusual increase of assets;
(7) being under suspension of the right to hold political position or having been removed from office;
(8) having been sentenced by a final and conclusive judgment for an offence related to malfeasance in office, an offence related to malfeasance in judicial office, an offence related to narcotics drugs or an offence related to gambling as he was a croupier or host;
(9) having been sentenced by a final judgment to imprisonment except for an offence committed through negligence or a petty offence.

No member of the National Legislative Assembly shall be a member of the National Reform Council or a Minister at the same time.

Thailand is now a military dictatorship. Apart from window dressing, do you really believe that the constitution has any meaning at all? Edited by Thanet
  • Like 1

I guess article 8 of the interim constitution come to bear. Mind you, the statement that politicians would not be able to stand for election for three years after having been a member of the NLA may also limit the number of 'well known' names. Pheu Thai party spoke against joining the NLA if I remember correctly.

Section 8. A member of the National Legislative Assembly shall not be under the prohibitions as follows:

(1) being or having been a person holding any position in a political party within three years prior to the date of appointment as a member of the National Legislative Assembly;
(2) being a Buddhist priest, novice, monk or clergy;
(3) being bankrupt or having been dishonestly bankrupt;
(4) having been under suspension of the right to vote;
(5) having been expelled, dismissed or removed from official service, State agency or State enterprise on the grounds of dishonest performance of duties or deemed as having committed dishonest acts or malfeasance in official service;
(6) having been ordered by a judgment or an order of the Court that his assets shall vest in the State on the grounds of unusual wealth or an unusual increase of assets;
(7) being under suspension of the right to hold political position or having been removed from office;
(8) having been sentenced by a final and conclusive judgment for an offence related to malfeasance in office, an offence related to malfeasance in judicial office, an offence related to narcotics drugs or an offence related to gambling as he was a croupier or host;
(9) having been sentenced by a final judgment to imprisonment except for an offence committed through negligence or a petty offence.

No member of the National Legislative Assembly shall be a member of the National Reform Council or a Minister at the same time.

Thailand is now a military dictatorship. Apart from window dressing, do you really believe that the constitution has any meaning at all?

The constitution did not have much meaning to PTP they ignored a lot of it, that's what you call democracy ??  Army window dressing  ???

Yingluck was only for window shopping.

Sorry Rube had to jump in to spoil the agenda of this poster.

No need, the question is rather valid I think. I'm only surprised that no one here seems to have bothered to check if none of the 200 or so members of the NLA is under the prohibitions listed.

Ginjag and his pack of "political correctness" members believe that one wrong/crime justifies another. While there aren't many bright politicians thanks to a really inadequate education system, what makes the military here the better choice?

Censorship is used more now than ever and games that don't necessarily portrays any of the junta members but make sort of fun of dictators, are now being banned. LM laws are being exploited further to suppress any criticism against the caretakers.

So is having more of these people in charge a good thing? Ginjag believes so. So my question to him is:
"Does your country follow the same kind of democracy they do in Thailand or is it something you picked up on the way?"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Ginjag and his pack of "political correctness" members believe that one wrong/crime justifies another. While there aren't many bright politicians thanks to a really inadequate education system, what makes the military here the better choice?

Censorship is used more now than ever and games that don't necessarily portrays any of the junta members but make sort of fun of dictators, are now being banned. LM laws are being exploited further to suppress any criticism against the caretakers.

So is having more of these people in charge a good thing? Ginjag believes so. So my question to him is:
"Does your country follow the same kind of democracy they do in Thailand or is it something you picked up on the way?"

So, is the fact that these people came to be in charge as a result of a failed and disfunctional democracy and have a program of reform and a goal of new general elections in October 2015 a good thing?

Would your country just continue in a state of failure and violence because it might be a democracy in name only?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

So, is the fact that these people came to be in charge as a result of a failed and disfunctional democracy and have a program of reform and a goal of new general elections in October 2015 a good thing?

Would your country just continue in a state of failure and violence because it might be a democracy in name only?
Western democracies fail now and then but we change the path, for better or for worse, through elections.

Does it really matter if you vote for the republicans or the democrats?
They both have failed miserably when it comes to the welfare of the people. So if they are so bad, why don't we have a coup and let the military sort it all out?
Well, that's not the real reason we have them is it? The whole principle of a democracy is to let the people to choose their own fate, to a certain extent.

Now sure, the people will make mistakes along the way. As you know the word perfect is only a concept, nothing we could achieve or become in reality.
The mistakes they make along the road need to be corrected and that can only happen through proper education at school and at home.

The military here serves nothing but self interests. Protection of the few that have not contributed any of value to the society. Now if you are all for this...

Let's see if you are still singing the same tune, the day we see tanks rolling down the streets back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by maxme

From the OP:

BANGKOK: -- At least 100 senior military officers are tipped to be selected as members of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), an NCPO source said.

Although it was Saturday yesterday, Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha did not take a break but went to the Royal Thai Army headquarters to follow up on work.

An informed NCPO source, who asked not to be named, said that besides the looking into concerns in the restive South, Prayuth yesterday screened the list of people proposed to be members of the NLA presented by his assistant General Paiboon Koom-chaya, who is in charge of justice and legal matters for the military leaders.

I do believe the topic has gone way off topic and a number of posts have been removed.

Edited by metisdead

Just to answer the topic going off topic, if posters put their point of view on the subject instead of the PTP- anti army agenda inviting most posters to counter this attitude.

Airing their views and posting sensible criticism is one thing, instead we get this strong rhetoric about the non democratic army and it's past thrown in for good measure.

Over the years there was good opposition, now it's different. 

A good idea is to ignore the extra strong element and talk with the posters that are willing to give these guys the chance, ( caution about army rule most people are aware of this)

Edited by ginjag

If we take this post in conjunction with some of your other recent posts can wr therefore assume your intolerance of anyone who dissents from you views has now reached rhe point that you wish the moderating team to deal with them?
A real poster boy for freedom of speech aren't you! Edited by JAG
  • Like 1