Amlo increases pressure on alleged rosewood loggers

Lite Beer

Amlo increases pressure on alleged rosewood loggers
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Anti-Money Laundering Office will this week ask for Electronic Transactions Commission approval to trace the money transactions of seven suspects allegedly linked to illegally logged Siamese rosewood.

Amlo secretary-general Pol Colonel Sihanart Prayoonrat yesterday reported the progress of a probe against a gang based in Isaan accused of smuggling timber in about 200 modified second-hand cars.

He said the agency was still waiting for owners of impounded cars to explain where the cars came from and police had so far seized assets worth about Bt114 million from the gang's 142 members.

He said the Amlo would seek approval to seize more assets from the seven suspects on Wednesday.

In a separate case, Sihanart said the Land Department had told Amlo it would soon revoke the land ownership documents of a controversial 65-rai plot next to Freedom Beach in Phuket's Muang district that had encroached on the Khao Nakkerd forest reserve.

Amlo could then take legal action, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Amlo-increases-pressure-on-alleged-rosewood-logger-30239554.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-27

There is a constant pressure to create new farm yields that are not rice.

Why not grow these rare woods, teak and rosewood, as cash crops? Why not?

I realize it would be a great mask for smuggling, but that could be controlled.

Why not?

Why not?

I don't understand the market for rosewood. Unless it is still popular with Chinese for furniture. I know from personal experience that the value of western rosewood furniture has actually declined significantly. Many Georgian pieces are about 60% of what they were worth 20 years ago. Everyone wants IKEA these ( sad) days

The Anti Money LAundering Commission needs permission to check transactions? And that means the Electronics Transaction Committee can say no.

This means that they have to ask permission to do their jobs.

How convenient. One wonders how many requests were turned down. How many people were 'protected', and still 'work' with impunity?

Best of all, what happens when a member of the ETC is being investigated? Do they ever approve their own members scrutiny?

Amazing Thailand.

Why not?

... and how long does it take to get a return on an investment like this? A job for the government I think.

Rice farmers, by definition, don't think long term. Also I am pretty sure that teak would not grow in the rice fields around here, flooded for four months a year, hard as concrete for the rest.

• Like 1

Reform will help reduce after deforestation after the police force became stronger as today still have corruption in force and the loggers will not do what ever wish as they cannot bribe the enforcement anymore, more good people will guard the national treasure for next generation to come.