Moving to America with Wife and daughter

Anyone here have experience with this?

I looked at a website and was reading about the CR1 and IR visas. They both need me to show I make $27,000 a year. But I've been in Thailand for 10 years now, so that, of course, is not possible.

I also see this K3 visa. But it appears that there will be an 8 month wait once we get to America before my wife would be able to work.

Unfortunately, we are not rich. So we both have to be able to work pretty much as soon as we arrive.

ANy insight into this will be appreciated.

Our daughter is no problem. She already has US citizenship.

Kleelof,

Firstly, Are you a US citizen? I will assume you are being your daughter is but it makes a huge difference.

I can offer up a lot of info but need to know more on how to help. I am not an agent or an attorney just a guy who went down this path with my missus.

Kleelof,

I forgot to ask, Has your wife been to the US? if so, does she have a good standing VISA?

PM me if you would like to take it offline. Might be easier.

Cheers

The visa process is gonna take some time. Best you work on a job and get a letter from the company stating that you work there full time and apparently your income, before you apply. The first step is for Homeland Security to verify that your wife is not a terrorist and then you begin the visa process. That 2 months will give you time to work on employment.

The prices are not cheap. Non-terrorist verification was $355 when I did it and I under stand it went up.

There are other charges.

It is best to have a reliable mailing address and keep up with everything quickly. Process can be 3-4 months before the interview is requested.

Get ready to do about 2 or 3 months of paper work. Really. 

Get ready to somehow miraculously get a job in the US without a flight or a starting date (if you feel the need to fly over with your wife). You are probably going to need to fly over and get a job. To them, nothing else much matters other than if you are employed or not. You could be a cocaine addict, alcoholic pedophile, but if you are employed you are a ok in their eyes. I seriously feel for you, get ready for at least a half a year of your life down the tunes collecting meaningless papers and filling out forms, and waiting on papers to be approved after submitting. 

Edited by isawasnake

Take a wander through www.visajourney.com for lots of info on the IV, Immigrant Visa process.  

Then look here:  http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

One good thing about you living here and starting the process here is that you appear to be eligible for Direct Consular Filing with the USCIS office in Bangkok.  Look through this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682203-dcf-step-by-step-procedure-for-obtaining-an-immigrant-visa-for-spouse-to-the-us/

DCF Step-by-Step Procedure for Obtaining an Immigrant Visa for Spouse to the U.S.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And, yes, $$$ for support are going to be a problem, but please note that relatives and friends in the U.S. can also help out by being a Joint Sponsor:  http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

This USCIS page also refers to having a Domicile in the U.S.  Not sure how you get around this point, more research required.

Mac

Ah, here's a couple links re "domicile:"

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3207.html

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-support/country-of-domicile.html

And, perhaps best of all, one from www.visajourney.com, previously mentioned:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/164618-proving-domicile-when-not-living-in-the-us/

I did a Google for this, lots more hits to look at:  domicile in usa

Mac

The process is not hard, if you're willing to sit down and do a lot of reading.  My wife and I are moving to the US next year.  I will do the Direct Consular Filing (DCF) on Oct 1st.  I expect to easily have the visa no later than Jan.  It's all about being meticulous with the paperwork.  Make sure all I's are dotted and T's are crossed.

Domicile:  Hopefully you maintained a bank acct in the US, driver license, voter registration, retirement savings, up-to-date on your taxes.

You will need someone to sponsor your wife, because you have no job.  You will want to post a resume/profile on employment websites to show that your looking for a job.  Printing this will be part of your application.  They'll want to see what steps you're taking to move to the US.

I've typed enough.  It's up to you to start reading.  visajourney is a good forum.

good luck

As others have posted, the important and almost deal breakers are no money or no work history, no reliable somewhat permanent looking address in the USA, Valid State Driver's license, no IRS issues etc.  A lot of people stop filing their taxes for various reasons, some legitimate.  even if you fell under the Gross Income test that requires you to file taxes, I encourage you to file and close out past years even if you made almost nothing and did not have to file.  It removes all uncertainty and establishes a US address.  

• Like 1

One of my good friends here moved back with his wife and son 3 years ago. I do not know details, but he did not arrive with a job.

Everything went swimmingly. He got a good  job in the first 3 months and moved into a town that they love (quite coincidentally 1 block from my old house!). The community has a fine school system and their very bright son is getting the kind of education they could not afford to give him here. They've added an adorable little girl to their family and are happy as clams. They live an easy distance from his father, who is overjoyed to have grandkids on hand.

Don't let the negativity here set you back. Go to it and make the best of things. It's not zero-effort I'm sure, but it may well be the best thing that you could do for your family.

• Like 1

Having a Thai wife in Thailand can be, mostly, a blessing but taking a Thai wife to the US can be. and most often is, a disaster for both.

Reconsider before both the wife and savings all vaporize. Google Rodeo Drive, Michigan Boulevard, Park Avenue and see where she and all your money will go !

I was warned about taking the wife to Amerika. I didn't listen, the paperwork was not hard, I had money in the bank so no income was not a problem. The Thai ladies in Amerika were the problem, they turned her into a money grubbing whore in no time. Taught her to ask for and demand new car, house everything. Could not take it anymore, finally divorced her and I came back. I would never take a Thai lady to my country now.

I don't think some of the people on this site knew who they were marrying.

Need to be very clear and explicit, no stones unturned, to wife/finance about your ways with money (if you are tight and save).

I hammered home and again about my tightwad ways to my fiance and made everything clear about how things would be. A couple need to really understand each other. Really understand. And if you both clearly understand each other, then there really should not be any problem.

Maybe some people married young girls who have stars in their eyes or just the type of person they married.

It takes two to tango.

As for work, the US government does not want to support people on dole. There are enough people on the dole already. The government will support people from south of the border, aka Mexico and get you money, housing, lawyers, and work permits. Just come across the Rio Grande and it is all free.

Yes, you should have a steady job and apply. But the government, it seems, wants to see years of steady employment. It seems like that. Not sure where they draw the line.

No need for a lawyer. The paperwork is fairly simple and you can google the answers from others who have asked the questionable forms and evidence.

Need to be very clear and explicit, no stones unturned, to wife/finance about your ways with money (if you are tight and save).

I hammered home and again about my tightwad ways to my fiance and made everything clear about how things would be. A couple need to really understand each other. Really understand. And if you both clearly understand each other, then there really should not be any problem.

Maybe some people married young girls who have stars in their eyes or just the type of person they married.

It takes two to tango.

As for work, the US government does not want to support people on dole. There are enough people on the dole already. The government will support people from south of the border, aka Mexico and get you money, housing, lawyers, and work permits. Just come across the Rio Grande and it is all free.

Yes, you should have a steady job and apply. But the government, it seems, wants to see years of steady employment. It seems like that. Not sure where they draw the line.

No need for a lawyer. The paperwork is fairly simple and you can google the answers from others who have asked the questionable forms and evidence.

That is fine (the part about supporting folks), and I totally agree with their stance. The big big problem in my opinion comes in when they have an option on their own form, that they wrote, that says you can qualify based on assets. It then even gets specific enough to give you a figure to shoot for. You then base all of your photocopies and times spent going to offices for proof of these assets (we are talking months here waiting for papers in the mail from overseas, inconveniencing friends and family etc), and you prove that you do in fact have them (in lieu of a job), and then they deny you and say you need a job. Why have that option on there then? It is terribly maddening. If I can't do it that way, don't have it as an option, please. 

That was my problem with them, they tell you that you can take certain paths by their own volition, then deny you that path. Can we all agree, any reasonable business or person gets disregarded at this point as they have not kept their part of the deal, right? If a business makes an offer, and the other side accepts, and then the business say "oh no, we changed our mind on the price", they are done. Not so with governments, they just say and do what they want with no accountability, and it really is frustrating. 

I agree, if you get a lawyer you will probably end up doing a lot of it yourself anyway. Much of it isn't the type of stuff a lawyer can even handle. Eg what job did your wife work in 1982. How will a lawyer know any of this stuff. Do it yourself for sure. The lawyer will just tell you to fly over and get a job I bet, to cover his ass, because they know (I didn't) that they can and will deny you on assets. 

Edited by isawasnake

But, if you  do  fly over The Pond to the U.S. job hunting, and to re-establish yourself in the U.S., it could then be a real problem with the Direct Consular Filing option here, which can save lots of time.  Need to be sure of your options here.

Mac

It is absolutely a rock and a hard place. 

The irony is everywhere. Go get a job, and leave your wife alone in Bangkok, and let her fly over alone even though she has never been on a long international flight. But, you two do love each other, right? "You need a job".... but how can I get a job without a flight and a potential start date? I could go on and on but the point is the entire process is filled with irony imo. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments. They have been quite helpful.

I think what we will do is I will go first and get set-up, then go through the process. This really seems to be the only way that is going to work for us.

To the OP -- You are an American citizen and you need to show $27,000 income in order to apply for a visa for your wife?

Not sure if this is a question or a statement. But, yes, it appears I will need to show I am making 27,000 a year.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They have been quite helpful.

I think what we will do is I will go first and get set-up, then go through the process. This really seems to be the only way that is going to work for us.

I agree that it is the best way for you to do it, because you may have several options to get your family's legal residency in the US, specially if you and your daughter are American citizens. It is a well know organization in the US called Catholic Charities. They work mostly with Hispanics like myself in all immigration paperwork. I used them in 2004 to get my citizenship after living in California for many years. You may get good counseling with them. Very honest people, and low fees. They know very well the best approach for every particular situation.

Edited by umbanda

To the OP -- You are an American citizen and you need to show $27,000 income in order to apply for a visa for your wife?

Not sure if this is a question or a statement. But, yes, it appears I will need to show I am making 27,000 a year.

What a country we gave. I'm also an American, but it seems that if I were too poor maybe I could not go back home.

What a country we gave. I'm also an American, but it seems that if I were too poor maybe I could not go back home.

Yeah. It won't be easy. I would not consider myself poor, and I do have employable skills that could earn me slightly more than the 27,000 required.

Inzman,

Is there a minimum amount that they want to see in a bank acct if one has no current job or is it you just showed them a specific amount and they said "that will do"?

I have some money in a US bank (i.e retirement accts, trust) but will maintain house, car and farm land still in Thailand...no desire to liquidate these assets...

CB 

It takes two to tango.

Steady years of employment? Where? In Thailand? Previously in USA? Does age play a role in it?

CB

Not sure where you got the 27K from, but for 2014 for a family of 3 is 24,737.  

Is there a minimum amount that they want to see in a bank acct if one has no current job or is it you just showed them a specific amount and they said "that will do"?

I have some money in a US bank (i.e retirement accts, trust) but will maintain house, car and farm land still in Thailand...no desire to liquidate these assets...

CB 

If you are already married (not fiance visa), you need 3x value of the assets, in the case of a family of 3 it would be 74211, in the case of a family of 2 (wife and yourself) it would be 58,986.   You can also use a combination of assets with income to reach the min level.

You can use foreign property, however there are certain restrictions

- The assets must be convertible to cash within 12 months

- The applicant must show that the assets can be removed from the country where they are located. Many countries have limits on cash or liquid assets that can removed from the country

- The net value of assets is at least five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty guideline for the household size. 

The last one I am not sure if the 5 times or would fall under the 3 times rule. 

Steady years of employment? Where? In Thailand? Previously in USA? Does age play a role in it?

You don't need a job to apply, if you meet the financial requirements.  Age does not play a role in it at all.

The tricky part for most that are living abroad is the Domicile issue.  If you go to the department of state website you can get some good information on this issue.

I agree that it is the best way for you to do it, because you may have several options to get your family's legal residency in the US, specially if you and your daughter are American citizens. It is a well know organization in the US called Catholic Charities. They work mostly with Hispanics like myself in all immigration paperwork. I used them in 2004 to get my citizenship after living in California for many years. You may get good counseling with them. Very honest people, and low fees. They know very well the best approach for every particular situation.

The charities will help with the fees, but they cannot overcome the basic income requirements.   There are other waivers for different situation, but as far as I have seen there are no waivers for the income requirements.

Most people get frustrated with the process or have issues as they are going through it, as they try to skirt the rules/requirements, or they don't read and fully understand what is needed.  For the most part the entire process is straight forward and not complicated, but not all people are good at paperwork, and quite a few feel that as a USC they are owed the world, and the government should bend over backwards.

• Like 1

CB 

If you are already married (not fiance visa), you need 3x value of the assets, in the case of a family of 3 it would be 74211, in the case of a family of 2 (wife and yourself) it would be 58,986.   You can also use a combination of assets with income to reach the min level.

You can use foreign property, however there are certain restrictions

- The assets must be convertible to cash within 12 months

- The applicant must show that the assets can be removed from the country where they are located. Many countries have limits on cash or liquid assets that can removed from the country

- The net value of assets is at least five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty guideline for the household size. 

The last one I am not sure if the 5 times or would fall under the 3 times rule. 

You don't need a job to apply, if you meet the financial requirements.  Age does not play a role in it at all.

The tricky part for most that are living abroad is the Domicile issue.  If you go to the department of state website you can get some good information on this issue.

The charities will help with the fees, but they cannot overcome the basic income requirements.   There are other waivers for different situation, but as far as I have seen there are no waivers for the income requirements.

Most people get frustrated with the process or have issues as they are going through it, as they try to skirt the rules/requirements, or they don't read and fully understand what is needed.  For the most part the entire process is straight forward and not complicated, but not all people are good at paperwork, and quite a few feel that as a USC they are owed the world, and the government should bend over backwards.

To summarize all my posts above, you can have those sums of money you mentioned above, and still be told to essentially "get a job". 

The reason it is so maddening is as I mentioned, it is their form. If you don't want people to get out without the assets, don't have that option. In my case I am still very upset about it, and will always be, because I took a huge portion of funds out of Thai stocks (something I did not want to do), to "prove" I had cash and was ready to move it with me. The stock market then shot up, and some may say this is neither here nor there, it could have gone down too, but to me it is just so ridiculous. 

The problem as I see it is that they say you can do things on the form, as you have lined out above, they they say you can't do that later, after you have kinda turned your world over to prove it to them. 

I also was left wondering how I could prove to them I have physical gold. How in the world would I do this, have it appraised? Couldn't I just be bringing in my friend's gold? So, I ended up begrudgingly selling gold too, something I did not want to do. 

I don't feel anyone should bend over backwards, I feel they should simply honor the statements that are on their own forms like asset requirements for example. 

Edited by isawasnake

Not sure where you got the 27K from, but for 2014 for a family of 3 is 24,737.  

Where did you get this figure?