Age requirements for booking hotel.

Jack396

Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask a simple question. What is the minimum age where a person can book a hotel for a night or two in asok area of Bangkok. My friend is currently 16 and has been living in thailand since his birth(he was born here) and recently he asked me to help him to find a luxury hotel in asok area has he wants to spend few nights away from his parent's house and sleep with his girlfriend in a hotel. My first concern was would he be legally allowed to even rent a hotel for a night or two? He does have debit cards though. He doesn't look young. He has a facial hair also. Do the hotel people ask for any sorts of ID or passport for verification? Anyone has any idea?

There's an age of consent issue here.

It says here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia#Thailand

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 (with the below caveat) as specified by article 279 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation.

However, parts of the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, which disallow any sexual contact with prostitutes under the age of 18, are widely interpreted by some local authorities to cover sexual acts classed as "obscenity for personal gratification". Also from the Penal Code Amendment Act of 1997 Section 283bis, having sex with a child under 18 is a compoundable offense even with the consent of that person. The parent or the child may file charges against the other side if he or she later regrets his or her own action. This ostensibly makes the Thai unfettered age of consent 18.

So, they might not want his parents marching up to the front desk with a lawyer in tow demanding to know why they let him stay there with his girlfriend.

On the other hand, they might not care and just let him do what he wants.

Why is he asking you to get involved? he's lived here all his life so he should know the law, and the potential problems he might get into.

Maybe that's exactly why he's asking you to get involved!

Personally, I wouldn't.

use a short time  hotel and spend the $$ saved on a good meal

Hope the girlfriend isn't your 13 year old daughter.

my daughter is now 20 living with her bf in Sonoma ca  :-) while attending college

Don't know about you all, but my early experiences were in the back seat of my 67 Chevy, I would love to have been able to book a st hotel  :)

• Like 1

No no, you guys are getting the wrong idea. His parents are travelling to USA in few days to attend something but his parents have decided to go earlier to the states but he can stay 1-2 days here after his parents leave before he goes to the states for two months too. So you see he wants to spend some time with his gf and moreover his younger sister (12-13 years old) will also be staying with him. His parents are totally aware of their relation and so are the gf's parents. So could he simply book a hotel with his debit card without any problems?