Trying to purchase a ticket to go back to the U.S. But rates are very high now, why?

I have been trying to purchase a one way ticket back to the U.S., to go back and stay awhile.

Yet, when I went online to the major online ticket companies say, such as Priceline, Orbitz. The tickets normally when I bought them a few years ago were about say around $700 U.S. Dollars, but now they are over $1000 even on the cheaper airlines.

I've asked some of my friends here in Bangkok about this and weather it is the high sesson here now or still the low season.

When I look in the Bangkok post for airline rates, they are listed as 17,000 baht, but I know those can be wrong.

Any suggestion on where to go and get a better rate?

While it is not the high season here in Thailand - it is high season in most of the world - Summer fares are always higher than other times of the year. I searched one way for 15 Aug between Bangkok and Los Angeles and got USD 937 but for 15Sep found a USD 587 one way fare.

• Like 1

A friend of mine did a one way a few years ago and found a great rate with an agent. I think it was on China Eastern, which doesn't always show up in the various search engines.

I'd use as many search engines as possible and start a price watch that several offer. Kayak is pretty good for this. Here's where many search engines are listed:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/527870-airline-information-and-flight-deals-for-expats/

In searching for US bound airfares last week, I was surprised to find that round trip tickets on the airline websites are cheaper than one way.

I suggest you try the airline websites and price both options. After all, you don't need to use the round trip ticket if it is cheaper than one way.

Many airlines will charge more for a one way than a return ticket if the destination is the USA. Crazy but true. The airfares are higher now to USA and Europe as it is peak high summer season. Schools are out and families are going on vacation. Flights will be busy and any cheaper fares have sold out 6 months ago.

My tip would be to try Virgin Australia BKK or Phuket to Australia and onward LAX and Southwest/frontier/spirit whatever from there.

It is more expensive to buy an air ticket from Bkk to Wherever - one way or return - than it is to buy the same ticket from Wherever to Bkk! This topic has been aired on TV many times and a satisfactory reason for this anomaly has never been forthcoming. When I arrived here 20 years ago the reverse was true. What has changed? I dunno. It may well be high season, but all year round you are going to pay more for your air ticket if you buy it here in LoS.

You might get a deal on EVA ...to Seattle. If you do, you can usually find a ticket on American Airlines from Seattle to where you want to go. A year ago I got a low price (about 700 usd) for the EVA and 150 usd American Airlines to Syracuse. I just like EVA anyways. Book ahead. Cheapest Late Sept to Late October.

• Like 1

You might get a deal on EVA ...to Seattle. If you do, you can usually find a ticket on American Airlines from Seattle to where you want to go. A year ago I got a low price (about 700 usd) for the EVA and 150

Well, my home is 250 km north of San Francisco and expensive as hell to fly there from SFO, so I take good old Grayhound back home. EVA seems to be the lowest price now at around 1,1xx. I will wait a few more weeks.

• Like 1

You might get a deal on EVA ...to Seattle. If you do, you can usually find a ticket on American Airlines from Seattle to where you want to go. A year ago I got a low price (about 700 usd) for the EVA and 150

Well, my home is 250 km north of San Francisco and expensive as hell to fly there from SFO, so I take good old Grayhound back home. EVA seems to be the lowest price now at around 1,1xx. I will wait a few more weeks.

I've just been looking on Skyscanner for the next month or two using their bar chart (LHR - BKK - LHR) - late August seems to be when the prices become reasonable again.

Don't know why, a few months ago I was check flights from bkk to lax, business class. Now just last week I bought a ticket and the price increase was almost $1,000 more. And I've been checking for 3 weeks. Prices have skyrocketed.

FYI, I do check all the sites for flights, but I have been using the same ticket agent for over 7 years, and she has always found me better prices. She gets better pricing because I'm flexible. Airlines usually have only a certain number of seats in the "cheapest" class, and I don't think those prices are posted by the airline sites.

I'd check with a reputable ticket agent to see what they can offer.

do an outbound search using departing cities such as i.e.Ho-Chi minh, Singapore to see if the pricing are similar.

or, search Asian airlines websites such as; China Airlines-Taiwan, EVA-Taiwan, Korean Air, Asiana, Cathay Pacific.

A bit more info might help.

I take it you are going to San Fransisco

Date? and are they flexible

Do you care what airline?

Layovers/ flight duration.

I mad some assumptions flying Sept 3 not worring about layovers

Asaina $693

China Eastern $768

Philippines $804

A A $813

These all have pretty long layovers, if you want a shorter flight the cost goes up dramaticly. Plus inside of 30 days prices tend to go up

Good luck

One way tickets to the USA from late August to mid September can be tough to book and expensive because so many students are returning to US universities, not just from Thailand but from all over Asia; especially China and Japan. Since all trans-Pacific US bound flights out of BKK connect somewhere else in Asia, you are competing for seats on the second segment of the flight.