Airline Information And Flight Deals For Expats

craigt3365

• 2 years later...

I compiled a few Thai booking sites which offer a bit more than the run of the mill Amadeus fares. Never had a chance to purchase from any of them so can't vouch for their reliability. I always seem to miss out on the special promotions either because of availability or timing. If I only save a few hundred baht through an agency I will buy directly from the airline because it's less hassle to refund and there are no credit card fees. Good for reference, though. You might also want to check Air China's Thai website because they offer some pretty good biz & eco promotions there (however, good luck trying to booking them). In no particular order:

http://www.eticket.co.th/index.aspx?lang=en

http://www.his-bkk.com/en/air_ticket/index.php#

http://www.statravel.co.th/flights.htm

http://www.anewtravel.com/default.asp

http://www.saveflights.com/index.php

http://www.sstravel.co.th/sst_airfare/int.asp (Air India GSA, for cheap Star Alliance FF pts)

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thai Airways is surprisingly currently the cheapest carrier on Skyscanner for a trip back to my part of farang land in Europe in July 2017, even cheaper than any of the Middle Eastern carriers.

I doubt most airlines have even considered any kind of promotions 8 months into the future and some of the ME carriers could very well drop their prices.

What is the optimum time frame to purchase a airline ticket? 2-3 months prior to the trip?

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thai Airways is surprisingly currently the cheapest carrier on Skyscanner for a trip back to my part of farang land in Europe in July 2017, even cheaper than any of the Middle Eastern carriers.

I doubt most airlines have even considered any kind of promotions 8 months into the future and some of the ME carriers could very well drop their prices.

What is the optimum time frame to purchase a airline ticket? 2-3 months prior to the trip?

Agree, THAI seem to have changed their policy of charging the highest fare of any Airline to anywhere. Some reasonable Promo fares available these days, they were the cheapest on the BKK - KUL - BKK route recently, and now they are the cheapest (a lot cheaper than the budget Airlines such as Cebu Pacific) on BKK - MNL - BKK, as I just found out minutes ago (7.700 return on the date I checked). Plus at least 25% miles earned on Royal Orchid Plus.

• Like 1

Thai Airways schedule adjustments for the winter season.

A number of increased frequencies and two new non-stop routes:

Phuket - Frankfurt - Phuket (since Nov 17, 2016)

Bangkok - Moscow - Bangkok (from Dec 15, 2016)

http://www.traveldailynews.asia/news/article/63388/thai-adjusts-winter-schedule

The new A350 is used on routes to Rome, Milan and Singapore.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thai Lion Air finally got approval to fly to TRANG, starting February 11, and are offering a PROMO fare at 425 Baht (including 15 KG checked luggage and Airport Tax). I don't know how long these fares are available, but as of now they still are.

Skyscanner does NOT list them all. According to skyscanner, no such fare in February, but I found many 425 Baht fares for February as well on the www.lionairthai.com website and I will book a flight for February within a few minutes before you guys grab it  ;-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I was just getting excited at that except when I looked at the cost versus dates in February or March, the cheapest I could find is 30,000 return to London, about the same as BA currently.

Ouch !

The differencebetween what an airline says,and what they actually deliver, allcovered by that nasty little word "from" ! :saai:

I was looking recently at BKK-LHR-BKK for late-November/early-December, when the advertised fare did definitely come up, FWIW.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

MALAYSIA AIRLINES has just implemented a large chunk of PROMO FARES into their system a few minutes ago (Monday 00.01 hrs as usual). Nothing sensational, but a few good deals can be found, such as 5.100 THB return fare from Bangkok to Kota Kinabalu (via KUL) or any other Borneo destination which is pretty decent value for money. BKK - Bali for 7.310 THB return not too shabby either.

BKK - London (LHR) is 10.500 one-way, 19.900 return.

All fares at MH include 30 KG of free luggage and of course meals.

Sadly, the business class "deals" are once again nothing to write home about, except maybe for the 13.375 THB fare from BKK to Manila via KUL (and as KUL-MNL is more than 3 hrs, you can expect booze on board)

If you need some inspiration for your Songkhran escape, here you go --->>>

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/th/en/deals/deals-of-the-day.html

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not the greatest ever deal, but may be of interest to some. Biz class in a wide body jet with angled lie flats and a full catering service onboard, BKK to HKG with Hong Kong Airlines for a bit over 12,000bt return. Dates from September to December.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good deal on BKK - LAX, China Airlines premium economy, RT just under 40000 baht

The BKK-TPE-BKK sections are in business, the TPE-LAX sections are on the 777's which are quite nice & the layovers are short. 

Looks available from now until 11/30 except July & August

Edited by golfer1111

The China Air deal is also good to SFO starting in Sept & they have the new A350's.

For some reason, it's hard to book on the China Airlines website, use Google Flights to find the fare & then purchase on China Air website

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#search;f=BKK,DMK;t=SFO;d=2017-09-20;r=2017-10-11;sel=BKKTPE0CI834-TPESFO0CI16,SFOTPE0CI15-TPEBKK1CI837;sc=p

• 4 weeks later...

Qatar has some pretty good deals on business class - travel must be completed by 6/20 for full discount, return flights after 6/20 look to be normal fares

sample fare of 66000 RT BKK - BCN or BKK - TXL, many more available

book by 5/22

• Like 1

On 09/05/2017 at 9:59 PM, golfer1111 said:

Qatar has some pretty good deals on business class - travel must be completed by 6/20 for full discount, return flights after 6/20 look to be normal fares

sample fare of 66000 RT BKK - BCN or BKK - TXL, many more available

book by 5/22

This is a good one if anyone needs to be in Vienna or close by. RTN Business for under 55,000 ( does require an overnight in Doha and limited dates, late May/early June). Qatar, nice airline, great fare.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/0fn2g./m/0fhp9.2017-05-31.BKKDOH0QR835~DOHVIE1QR185*/m/0fhp9./m/0fn2g.2017-06-08.VIEDOH0QR184~DOHBKK1QR834;c:THB;e:1;sc:b;sd:1;t:f;sp:0.THB.54030*0.THB.54030&spf=348

Wow, this is all great info. I am looking for a site or airline with good business deal to Brasil and/or to Capetown and to sites where I can find business flights at discounts in general. Any info much appreciated.  Regards.   MS>

12 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Wow, this is all great info. I am looking for a site or airline with good business deal to Brasil and/or to Capetown and to sites where I can find business flights at discounts in general. Any info much appreciated.  Regards.   MS>

It's uncommon to see anything cheap to either: occasionally Ethiopian has some cheapish deals to South Africa but it's a long, long route and stopover. Brazil: never seen anything cheap ex BKK....but there is a reasonably cheap fare around ex Cairo ( BA, AA), but of course you have to get to Cairo to take it.

• Like 1

It looks as though Qatar is trying to better manage ( from their perspective) these frequent sales, by restricting the ticket validity/travel dates to about a 6 week period. Previously they offered long validity/return options( 6 months or more).

Consequently the current deal ( book by May 22) requires travel to be completed by the end of June. 

17 hours ago, Prbkk said:

It looks as though Qatar is trying to better manage ( from their perspective) these frequent sales, by restricting the ticket validity/travel dates to about a 6 week period. Previously they offered long validity/return options( 6 months or more).

Consequently the current deal ( book by May 22) requires travel to be completed by the end of June. 

I am sure Qatar is doing what is best for them, but these unpredictable promotions really don't work when you also have to juggle with a visa for the spouse. I was 100% committed to fly with Qatar this year, but at the end another airline had much better fares during the time window we could purchase tickets.

• Like 1

On 16/5/2560 at 9:01 PM, Prbkk said:

More annoyingly, a friend just bought tickets with Qatar (Europe-BKK-Europe) for 13,400 baht in 2018. You will have to pay nearly 40,000 baht if that same flight originates from Bangkok.

That said, plenty of "Business Saver" slots available for a reasonable price in 2018, but again annoyingly they are all cheaper if the flight originates from Europe. Unfair world!

To add insult to injury, even the layout of the Qatar search engine is better when the flight is from Europe.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

On 16/05/2017 at 9:01 PM, Prbkk said:

IME they have a good Sale every mid-January, for far-ahead (I booked my September trip) this year Etihad & Emirates also joined-in the bun-fight with similar Sales.

18 hours ago, Ricardo said:

IME they have a good Sale every mid-January, for far-ahead (I booked my September trip) this year Etihad & Emirates also joined-in the bun-fight with similar Sales.

Sri Lankan also, but this year it was economy only.  The business (also 30% as usual) didn't come until March or April this year, by which time we'd already booked.  

For anyone interested Sri Lankan announced that it is now flying to Melbourne, so if the timing is right we'll get business to see both friends and family at a good discounted price.

• Like 1

Playing with dates for a possible trip late-November/start-December, I noticed that Oman Airways are offering BKK-MCT-LHR return from B19.805 currently  ...  seems a very reasonable price ex-Bangkok, with 30 kgs of hold-luggage.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2